Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are extension cords banned by FAA? (& how secure connector to loose receptacle)

Are extension cords banned by FAA? (& how secure connector to loose receptacle)

Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Par for the course these days in AA.
seigex likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by chrisl137

the newer apple laptops don't come with the 3 prong extension.

They are available ala carte. I highly recommend getting one.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ellinj
Yup. Better fastening to the Apple cord.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:47 pm

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...xtension-cable
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I never travel without them. I've had enough macbooks and spare power supplies over the years that I probably have a lifetime supply of the long three-prong cords
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Yes, I never travel without them. I've had enough macbooks and spare power supplies over the years that I probably have a lifetime supply of the long three-prong cords

I can't even imagine how many of those cords that apple is now charging $19 for we have thrown out at work over the years.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't even imagine how many of those cords that apple is now charging $19 for we have thrown out at work over the years.
I always keep the extra power supplies and cords when I get a new machine since they don't track them and just want the laptop back. It makes it easy to have a set for home, a set to keep packed for travel, and spares for when they go bad.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I've used my extension cord on many flights, from AA to ANA and have never had an issue. I don't know of any FAR that prohibits extension cords from being used. I have the extension 3 prong connector that attaches to my macbook plug and it is a long annoying wire and I've never got grief for using it. I just think it's a misinformed FA who made up their own rules and contempt of FA has become a violation.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:37 pm

AA policy is NO extension cords in airplane outlets and only a single device may be charged per outlet.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The issue is not splitting power. The issue is the wobbly fit of US plugs in heavily used airplane sockets. So JDiver's suggestion is an excellent one.
Understood. This takes care of wobble fit while providing additional benefit of splitting power. Used on many flights and never had an issue with not getting juice in those lose sockets.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
AA policy is NO extension cords in airplane outlets and only a single device may be charged per outlet.
Where does it state this? Yelling at a passenger for a rule that doesn't seem to be available for the customer to read is really bad form
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I can only imagine. I left a charger once at a hotel and on returning next week, asked to check the L&F - apparently the hotel policy is 90 days and they throw stuff out.

So the concierge gave me my charger back... and the entire box about to be thrown away. I had 100+ chargers that I gave away to friends/coworkers etc.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I use a $10 plug adapter I bought on Amazon a few years ago and it has a spring mechanism that expands the pins so that it fits securely in the outlet.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
It's slightly more complicated than that, but the FA was largely correct.

Each carrier files its safety and security policy with FAA. Once accepted by FAA, the carrier's failure to enforce its policy becomes a violation.

It's up to AA to have such a rule, but once it does, it's effectively "the law". A pretty sensible one too.
Sure, but does AA actually have such a rule?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Ehh...can we get a source for that assertion? I've never heard such a policy, and the single device thing seems especially unlikely. I regularly plug my laptop, phone and headphones into
this thing this thing
all at the same time on AA flights and have never been hassled about it. By the way I highly recommend the combo universal plug / USB adapter, and totally agree with JDiver and others that switching to the UK plug (or even the Aussie/China one that's angled) helps a lot with the falling out thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.