FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Aircraft Guide: Which 738 / 737-800 version, or 7M8 / 737 MAX 8? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1933577-aircraft-guide-738-737-800-version-7m8-737-max-8-a.html)

ersing224 Jul 8, 2017 12:18 pm

Aircraft Guide: Which 738 / 737-800 version, or 7M8 / 737 MAX 8?

Traveling JFK-SAN on AA First Class. AA uses two versions of B738, Will this "trans-continental" B738 have personal IFE? Thanks!

UpgradeMe Jul 8, 2017 3:57 pm

I do not know the answer to your question, but a moderator has been asked to move it to the AA forum where AA-related questions belong.

beckoa Jul 8, 2017 5:14 pm

Please follow this to the AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Dallas49er Jul 8, 2017 6:11 pm

Bring your own entertainment. Then you won't be disappointed.

jayer Jul 8, 2017 6:27 pm

Traveling JFK-SAN on AA First Class. AA uses two versions of B738, Will this "trans-continental" B738 have personal IFE? Thanks!
I believe you are confused on the equipment. The only transcontinental non-stop equipment I see on AA.com is all A321, I'm under the impression they are out of the dedicated transcon configuration subfleet. Which we only saw briefly in DFW as a redeye about a year ago.

I have never flown that configuration or that route but somebody here almost certainly has and can fill you in. Or probably some information online since those they are really proud of the sub-fleet.

JDiver Jul 8, 2017 6:57 pm

IMO, you're confusing A321 and B738.

A321 has -S domestic version, -H ETOPS version - both two class. There's also a -T transcon three class version.

738 is two class, and many, not all, have seatback IFE. The 737-8 MAX will have onboard Internet server with IFE streamed via WiFi; narrowbodies without seatback IFE will pretty much have this. Those with seatback IFE will still have it.

Your JFK-SAN 738 will either have or not have seatback IFE, and it's not predictable.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ec-2013-a.html, and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ife-etc.html for a list of links to AA aircraft and related threads.

ricktoronto Jul 8, 2017 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er (Post 28536524)
Bring your own entertainment. Then you won't be disappointed.

Since even if they have IFE it's pretty lackluster.

Djokison Jul 8, 2017 7:35 pm

Roughly 25% of the fleet has AVOD (seat back entertainment), the rest has overhead monitors. There is no way to know what you will be getting till about 24 hours before departure (and even then, equipment swaps are possible.)

So at the very least, overhead monitors, at best, seatback AVOD. Plan accordingly.

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 28536564)
I believe you are confused on the equipment. The only transcontinental non-stop equipment I see on AA.com is all A321, I'm under the impression they are out of the dedicated transcon configuration subfleet. Which we only saw briefly in DFW as a redeye about a year ago.

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28536628)
IMO, you're confusing A321 and B738.

A321 has -S domestic version, -H ETOPS version - both two class. There's also a -T transcon three class version.

I think you two are just misunderstanding the OP. It's a transcontinental flight, in the most literal sense of the term.

JDiver Jul 8, 2017 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 28536727)
Roughly 25% of the fleet has AVOD (seat back entertainment), the rest has overhead monitors. There is no way to know what you will be getting till about 24 hours before departure (and even then, equipment swaps are possible.)

So at the very least, overhead monitors, at best, seatback AVOD. Plan accordingly.

I think you two are just misunderstanding the OP. It's a transcontinental flight, in the most literal sense of the term.

Yes, it's transcontinental, but nothing at all special or markedly different than a midcon other that it's hella longer and the slimline seat cushion feels like Sakrete after the first few hours.

For entertainment one will enjoy, BYO.

strangiatotheme Jul 8, 2017 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by ersing224 (Post 28535493)

JFK-SAN is scheduled as a non-PTV 737, but there's always the chance of a swap. What day are you flying?

neo_781 Jul 9, 2017 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 28536727)

+1 ... I think the OP is just trying to understand if there will be seatback entertainment on this coast to coast flight (not as an AA branded transcontinental routes).

^:)

OP - it is hard (maybe impossible) to say with certainty which version/vintage of the 738 you will get. However I believe all versions have WiFi (debatable on usability), in seat power and either streaming video or setback monitor (or both).

Fine Art Landscape Photographer Jul 10, 2017 1:36 pm

I flew SAN - JFK 2 months ago and got upgraded. There is no IFE in First Class and instead FA give you tablet & headphones to use during the flight.

willmoac Jul 21, 2017 9:16 am

IFE on MIA>AUA & AUA>MIA

I am due to fly from MIA>AUA on AA2217 on July 29 and return AUA>MIA on AA1028 on August 19.

What type of inflight entertainment can I expect, the aircraft should be 738 (B737-800)? The AA website shows 2 different aircraft configs. Plus there is no info available on the entertainment page.

I will be flying in J, although the website only shows refers to First, Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin. I think that the F has been changed to J now. My ticket states J.

It seems it may be overhead screens/streaming or seat-back screens.

Thanks

asf-07 Jul 21, 2017 9:48 am

F / J .... whatever everyone wants to call it .... you'll be in the forward cabin.

For IFE, you just won't know until you board. A percentage of the 737s have seatback screens, but a majority don't. The ones that don't will have an overhead screen and streaming entertainment with movie / tv choices you can watch on your own device (ipad, laptop, etc) for free.

metallo Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer (Post 28543473)
I flew SAN - JFK 2 months ago and got upgraded. There is no IFE in First Class and instead FA give you tablet & headphones to use during the flight.

Flew JFK-SAN this week on an older (non-AVOD) 738 and was pleasantly surprised to receive the Samsung tablets on this route.

AA certainly used to do this all the time on this route and other TCONs, but for some reason I thought they had done away with it.

Not everyone accepted the tablets, which was a good thing for my seatmate, as it took three tries for him to get one that worked. Also, a first... FAs didn't collect them until literally right before landing (usually it's 45 minutes to an hour before IME).