Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft Guide: Which 738 / 737-800 version, or 7M8 / 737 MAX 8?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
There are currently two cabin configurations covering the 737-800 (type 738K) and Max 8 (type 7M8) which do vary slightly. Seat maps (link will take you to AeroLopa.com)

Types 738K and 7M8 "Kodiak"
All aircraft feature Boeing Sky Interiors, Boeing Space Bins, and mood lighting

Domestic First:
Rows 1 to 4
Collins MIQ seats configured 2-2 arranged to a 37" pitch

Note, there is no usable locker space above 1DF which is used solely for equipment

Main Cabin Extra:
Rows 8, 9, and over wing exit rows 16 and 17
Collins Meridian seats configured 3-3 arranged to a 33" pitch (38" at overwing exits)

Note: as there is a shallow bulkhead screen suspended from the overhead locker and not a full bulkhead, the footwells at row 8 extend beneath the row 4 seats

Main Cabin:
Rows 19 to 15 and 18 to 33
Collins Meridian seats configured 3-3 arranged to a 30" pitch

Note: seats in row 33 are narrower than the standard seats and as the partition behind is sculpted to the seat's profile, these seats do not recline

Wi-Fi:
ViaSat satellite wifi

In-flight entertainment:
Content streamed to your personal device, including access to Apple Music
These aircraft do not have seat back screens

Power:
All seats have USB and universal AC sockets

Type 7M8 "Oasis"
All aircraft feature Boeing Sky Interiors, Boeing Space Bins, and mood lighting

. This configuration is being replaced gradually by the Kodiak layout

Domestic First:
Rows 1 to 4
Collins MIQ seats configured 2-2 arranged to a 37" pitch

Note, there is no usable locker space above 1DF which is used solely for equipment

Main Cabin Extra:
Rows 8 to 10 and over wing exit rows 16 and 17
Collins Meridian seats configured 3-3 arranged to a 33" pitch (38" at overwing exits)

Note: as there is a shallow bulkhead screen suspended from the overhead locker and not a full bulkhead, the footwells at row 8 extend beneath the row 4 seats

Main Cabin:
Rows 11 to 15 and 18 to 33
Collins Meridian seats configured 3-3 arranged to a 30" pitch

Note: seats in row 33 are narrower than the standard seats and as the partition behind is sculpted to the seat's profile, these seats do not recline

Wi-Fi:
ViaSat satellite wifi

In-flight entertainment:
Content streamed to your personal device, including access to Apple Music
These aircraft do not have seat back screens

Power:
All seats have universal AC sockets. Main Cabin seats (from row 8 aft) also have USB sockets
Print Wikipost

Aircraft Guide: Which 738 / 737-800 version, or 7M8 / 737 MAX 8?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Can anyone please confirm the best row (or pros/cons) for MCE on this configuration? I don't care about under seat storage, so am fine with bulkheads in general, but not sure if leg room is reduced (I don't trust anything on Seat guru).

Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Can anyone please confirm the best row (or pros/cons) for MCE on this configuration? I don't care about under seat storage, so am fine with bulkheads in general, but not sure if leg room is reduced (I don't trust anything on Seat guru).

this picture you posted is not oasised 737 or 737Max.
if bulkhead is row 7 - legroom is reduced. If bulkhead is row 8 - unlimited legroom.
laxsnaogg likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
I'd love to but they are worse than stereotypical Jewish parents with guilt, there is only so much dodging of phone calls I can do. I am actually hoping not to be a COS by the time late February comes as well.
Then work it the other way; redeem for the lowest magazine subscription cost on AA's Mags for Miles. No cash outlay and no subscription.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum
737 (10/2019 revision)

Did not see a post on this with a search so if there is one, excuse my error.
Have not flown in a few months because of COVID whatever. Anyway I was on a flight yesterday on what was called in the seat materials, a 737 (10/2019 revision) aircraft which I suppose has been out for a year. is this just an updated interior to a 737-800? There was no bulkhead wall between MCE and First which was an odd appearance. The seats had tablet spring mounts at eye level and high wattage USB ports.That was nice. The recline of the seats in MCE was so useless it was actually more comfortable (but not really) to sit un-reclined. That was not.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This is the Oasis 737.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
And the revision date on the safety information card has nothing to do with the date the interior was revised (or trashed, if you prefer).

There shouldn't be anything the conversion from crappy 738 interior to horrible really crappy Oasis 738 interior that would require the safety cards to be revised.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
The revision date on the safety card refers to the date the safety card was last revised. It shouldn’t have a direct correlation to an aircrafts seat configuration.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
As others have mentioned, you are on the newest seating version of the 737 called the OASIS seating. It adds two additional rows of coach by shrinking up the space in business class and installing smaller lavatories, as well as putting in even thinner seats. With the COVID flying reduction, AA has taken the opportunity to accelerate conversions on all of their older fleet to the new seating arrangement.

There are benefits, as you mentioned the more accessible USB port and the tablet / phone holder. Also include are much larger overhead bins where roll- aboards can be stored sideways.

For most folks the disadvantages outweigh the few advantages including much less comfortable seats, even less legroom, no onboard IFE, and another 12 passengers crammed on an already crowded airplane which makes boarding / deplaning / and heading to the restroom all the more difficult.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is the Oasis 737.
Even they hate it.

Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
This is the Oasis 737.
That Oasis turned out to be a mirage.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jcatman
That Oasis turned out to be a mirage.
The Oasis is a lie!

But yeah, brilliant name. From afar, new cabin, new bins, shiny interior. Get closer and it's a mythical oasis #sucker .
cmd320, GrumpyYoungMan and nk15 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum
I forgot to mention, the flight was oversold and completely full. One guy in First had a full size Airedale which was wearing a diaper as his support dog. And good thing the dog had a diaper, it needed it. One time I was glad to be in MCE and not in First.
As for the extra rows, all full, I'm probably going for my Covid test next week.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Picture this: you’ve just boarded a lovely fauxasis 738 for the 40 minute flight from Orlando to Miami, thankful that’s all the time you have to spend on this slAAveship. You’re seated in F, but it’s tough to see how different this is from Y, especially since your seat in row 4 might as well be in the Y cabin with the way the fake ‘bulkhead’ is designed.

As you sit patiently waiting for everyone in Y to figure out how to store the myriad of junk they decided to lug on board the aircraft, you hear a loud crash from below which shakes the entire aircraft. It’s as though they’ve dumped a pallet of rhinoceros carcasses in the hold below the F cabin. This happens roughly every 5-7 minutes throughout the boarding process.

Why? What causes this violent shake and noise? I would think they were loading cargo containers but I didn’t think containerized cargo could be loaded onto 738s and to be honest this is the only aircraft I feel/hear this on. Anyone have any insight?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
This is the Oasis 737.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Even they hate it.
And how ironic that Oasis removed the wonder (-ful) wall between F and Y.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Are there closets on the 738s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.