Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft Guide: Which 738 / 737-800 version, or 7M8 / 737 MAX 8?

Aircraft Guide: Which 738 / 737-800 version, or 7M8 / 737 MAX 8?

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 19, 19, 8:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

American Airlines currently operates two types of Boeing 737:

304 Boeing 737-800 (IATA / AA 738, ICAO B738) aircraft , with subtypes of 738.

Seat numeration in aircraft not refitted under Project Oasis in First shows 3-6. 16F 38-40” pitch, 30MCE 34”and Y114 32-33” (total 160).

Newer aircraft have Boeing Sky lighting and seatback IFE, all sport 110 VAC universal and 5 VDC USB ports. WiFi varies. See this Seatguru seat chart. The number of aircraft in this configuration will diminish over time, and sometime in 2021, will cease to exist as all 738s are refitted to Prije t Oasis standards.

24 Boeing 737 MAX 8 (IATA / AA 7M8, ICAO B38M) aircraft (85 more on order). F16, MCE24 including exit row seats, Y132 (172 total). Link to SeatGuru seat chart, presumably usable for Project Oasis 738 conversions.

7M8: Seat numeration in all 7M8 and Project Oasis refitted 738s in First shows rows 1-4. The First class seat is the same seat AA uses in widebody Premium Economy, Rockwell Collins MiQ, though without a foot rest, with seat tray in the side arm rest, with 37” pitch.

The 7M8 and refit 738 Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin Seats are Rockwell Collins Meridian ultraslimline design with 33” MCE, 30” Coach. Lavatories (29” in F, 24” in Y) are ultra slim design, much narrower than original 738 lavs.

The Boeing Sky lighting adapted from the 787 is used, and the overhead bins are the oversized Space bin taking six standard rollaboards on their side, as opposed to four on their back. Seat power is universal plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB. WiFi is VIASAT, IFE is WiFi served to BYOD Free.

738: The legacy AA 738 fleet is pretty diverse, and most aircraft are currently configured F16, MCE30, Y114 = 160 total seats. F pitch is 38”, MCE 34” mostly, Y 31-32”. They are being already refitted to 7M8 standard, and the process will take us through 2021.

738 “Classic” with drop down screens and WiFi served in flight entertainment and mostly VSAT WiFi (for specifics for each aircraft see AA unofficial fleet site page here).

and

738 “Enhanced”, with seatback in flight entertainment and GoGo cellular WiFi (for specifics for each aircraft see AA unofficial fleet site page here.

AA has begun refitting all 738 aircraft to 7M8 cabin configuration under “Project Oasis”; completion expected by 2021.

For the 737 MAX 8 (and 738 configured to Project Oasis standards), see:

This seat chart on Seatguru, drawn for the 7M8.

AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Aircraft Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

Aircraft Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

738-7M8 equipment / seat change FAQ.

Q. If there’s an equipment change, will AA notify me?

Generally, not.

Q. Will AA try to change me to a comparable (Exit row, MCE, window or aisle, etc.) Seat?

Generally, no. AA apparently hasn’t the means to do this.

Q. How can I protect myself against equipment and seat changes?

You can’t, really. All you can do is to check your PNR / itinerary online regularly, and more frequently as you get closer to departure, to determine if you’ve experienced an equipment switch. If you do, try to be agile and reselect a suitable seat. (If you paid for MCE, request getting your money back if you’re unable to select another.)

And at a hub, you can even experience an equipment change at the gate if there’s a mechanical or the incoming flight is late.

Q. Can I ask AA change my flights if I experience 738-7M8 equipment change affecting my seating?

Likely not, as this is considered by AA as part of the “we don’t guarantee seat reservations “ policy.

Q. How long will this last? How frequently will this happen?

7M8s have just begun joining the fleet. The Project Oasis refit is expected to last into 2021. The chances of equipment change affecting seat selection will increase until the preponderance of the 737 fleet is in the 737 MAX 8 configuration, and will decrease thereafter until the legacy 737-800s are all refitted.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 21, 17, 3:46 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
. Also, a first... FAs didn't collect them until literally right before landing (usually it's 45 minutes to an hour before IME).

I suspect at some point the American employees will be allowed to take home those old Samsung tablets. Isn't that what happened to all the full-size AA coffee mugs that used to be in the Admirals Clubs?
Old Jul 22, 17, 3:02 am

Programs: MARRIOTT PLATINUM - Life, BA BLUE previously BA Gold
Originally Posted by asf-07 View Post
F / J .... whatever everyone wants to call it .... you'll be in the forward cabin.

For IFE, you just won't know until you board. A percentage of the 737s have seatback screens, but a majority don't. The ones that don't will have an overhead screen and streaming entertainment with movie / tv choices you can watch on your own device (ipad, laptop, etc) for free.
Pretty much what I thought, thanks
Old Oct 2, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: CATHAY PACIFIC
Arrow Aircraft Guide: Which 738 / 737-800 v. or 7M8 / 737 MAX 8?

Is there any internal codes to distinguish 737-800 for different configurations

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 3, 18 at 4:09 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:11 pm

To distinguish it from what? The -800 is the only type of 737 that American currently operates.
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Danski View Post
To distinguish it from what? The -800 is the only type of 737 that American currently operates.
maybe between the Project Oasis refit and the existing?

otherwise, all their 738s are the same config.
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
On a similar note I believe DL at one time referred to their 752’s as “755”.
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:59 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
When the Max comes online it will be a different code (e.g. 73M?, 739?). I don't think we'll see a different code for the 738 as it is configured now vs. 738 with the future seating config. You could be assigned a current variant at time of booking and then get changed to a new config as departure gets closer.
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
When the Max comes online it will be a different code (e.g. 73M?, 739?). I don't think we'll see a different code for the 738 as it is configured now vs. 738 with the future seating config. You could be assigned a current variant at time of booking and then get changed to a new config as departure gets closer.
the max is 7M8.

also the Max 8 is already flying.
enpremiere, JDiver, dfw88 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
the max is 7M8.
what a great name for such a sheetty plane.
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
the max is 7M8.
So where does the code show up? Aa.com? ExpertFlyer? Google Flights? Expedia/other OTA?
Curious.
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Everywhere.

There is is no public facing distinction between pre and post refit 737-800s. You can check the seat map and look at the F cabin numbering.

3-6 = old
1-4 = new
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The Oasis config has as at least as many seats in each cabin F, Y+, Y as the 738, right? They could show a 738 seat map and sub in an Oasis at any time, reassigning people at the gate. It would not be pleasant but it retains flexibility for AA.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, National Executive
I believe they are blocking the seats in the seat maps also to hold the seats in case of a equipment swap to a plane with fewer seats.
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:56 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Everywhere.

There is is no public facing distinction between pre and post refit 737-800s. You can check the seat map and look at the F cabin numbering.

3-6 = old
1-4 = new
Farewell 5F. You have served me well.
Spanish and truthknown like this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 9:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
The Oasis config has as at least as many seats in each cabin F, Y+, Y as the 738, right? They could show a 738 seat map and sub in an Oasis at any time, reassigning people at the gate. It would not be pleasant but it retains flexibility for AA.
The Oasis config is the exact same as the MAX, and yes, it has the same number of F seats (16) and MCE seats (30) as the pre-Oasis 738 config. Only difference is the Oasis/MAX has more standard Y seats (126 as opposed to 114).

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post

So where does the code show up? Aa.com? ExpertFlyer? Google Flights? Expedia/other OTA?
Curious.
I think “7M8” shows up almost everywhere, although oddly enough on FlightAware, a MAX flight is coded as “3M8.” Not sure where that one comes from.

Search this Thread