Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA vs Japan Airlines International Premium Economy

AA vs Japan Airlines International Premium Economy

Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by floridastorm
Has really nothing to do with self sufficiency. I don't know anyone, self sufficient or not, who would enjoy lugging four 50 lb bags and two carryons from baggage claim at one airport to check in at another airport, not to include going through Immigration and customs twice, security, and putting up with a 1 1/2 hour ride from one airport to the other. Also adding in delays that could come about in traffic or some other circumstance. Of course incurring the extra expense, too. On can fly JAL DFW/NRT/BKK without going through HND. However the cost is three times as much.
That's a completely different scenario. If a group feels the need to travel to bring piles and piles of luggage with them, they'll have to weigh the cost of doing so. I never claimed to "enjoy" a co-terminal transfer, simply that it's simple and common. I notice that you did not name any of these airlines you purport handle co-terminal luggage transfers of the passenger. You may find, in air travel like in life, that saving a buck or two can include extra hassle.

So, it looks like AA/HKG/BKK may be a much better option.
It would appear so.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I meant that it was a shorter flight relative to a 14 or 15 hour flight from the US to NRT. Also, daily, you are not lugging four 50lb bags and two carryons through LGW and LHR. If my wife and I had only a briefcase, like yourself, then it would not be that difficult NRT/HND.
Try again. We’ve done that with significant baggage including dive gear bags etc. taking the Limousine Bus because it was a lot cheaper or because there was no alternative to use the NRT-HND (under $28.00) or LHR-LGW connection. Several times. On other occasions we have connected at HKG, much easier but the connections aren’t horrible as long as you have sufficient time.

If you haven’t done it, please don’t imagine what it is or isn’t. Friendly is easier than Nat Express, but they’re both okay.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 11, 2018 at 7:06 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by ckx2
I disagree on vastly superior. JL eco food is great and probably one of the best in the sky, but apart from better wine (champagne) and soju (iirc) there is no or little differentiation. So yeah, I'd rather a have an AA PE meal, which is essentially two J choices with one of them being pasta and it's usually decent. I do agree on the better seat on JL, I'm also a fan of the shell concept.

I do believe AA PE is a sweet spot as SWU enabler and generally cheaper than JL PE (ex NRT), the upside of the JL seat do not justify for "vastly superior" in my eyes.
The seat of JL might not be 'vastly superior' to AA's, but it is significantly better especially when the person in front of you recline their seat
On the other side, JL does provide consistent superior service in most cases, which is evident compared to AA
I believe AA's PE entree pasta sometimes is just a veggie option, which I don't consider decent when there're only two options
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
@floridastorm I can't recall if this was mentioned previously, but AA PE does not get lounge access in NRT, but JL PE does. (Aside from any status offerings.)
That's a very important point, and AA codeshare JL operate PE doesn't have lounge access too I think
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
That's a completely different scenario. If a group feels the need to travel to bring piles and piles of luggage with them, they'll have to weigh the cost of doing so. I never claimed to "enjoy" a co-terminal transfer, simply that it's simple and common. I notice that you did not name any of these airlines you purport handle co-terminal luggage transfers of the passenger. You may find, in air travel like in life, that saving a buck or two can include extra hassle.

It would appear so.
Well first thing I was not purporting to know any airlines that transfer luggage from one airport to another and thus the question about the transfer of luggage. I have never traveled where I would have to change airports enroute so I obviously didn't know.

We are traveling to our house in Thailand where we will stay for 6 months. Most of the stuff in the bags are things that my wife brings for her sisters and that is why there are four of them We don't need that many clothes in Bangkok.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well first thing I was not purporting to know any airlines that transfer luggage from one airport to another and thus the question about the transfer of luggage. I have never traveled where I would have to change airports enroute so I obviously didn't know.

We are traveling to our house in Thailand where we will stay for 6 months. Most of the stuff in the bags are things that my wife brings for her sisters and that is why there are four of them We don't need that many clothes in Bangkok.
If you do have to transfer NRT-HND it’s not difficult to use a trolley to take your baggage to the kerb bus stop, and the bus has a large baggage compartment. Friendly allows two 30 kg / 66 lb bags per person.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you do have to transfer NRT-HND it’s not difficult to use a trolley to take your baggage to the kerb bus stop, and the bus has a large baggage compartment. Friendly allows two 30 kg / 66 lb bags per person.
JDiver

Thanks for the info. But, I think I'll pass on the airport transfers. After 19 hours MCO/DFW/NRT feel I'll be too tired to even think much less facilitate that scenario.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I just took JL PE and AA PE back to back and I can definitively say that JL PE is vastly superior IMO

Legroom:

JL PE - I am 5'10 you can fit a magazine

AA PE - not so much

Footrest:

JL - has leg support (that's connected to your seat) and foot rest on every seat except for bulkhead
AA - only footrest except for bulkhead

Food:

JL - on demand (if you ask nicely) meal service. on demand snack service (udon)
AA - I missed mid-flight meal as I was sleeping and when I asked for it they said it was already over.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, even the OP noted the 4" of additional seat pitch on JL. To be fair, 38" is pretty much the standard (only NZ really comes close to JL, with 41-42", CX next at 40", and I'm excluding Norwegian). But I think JAL has a fixed shell seat, so that eats up at least 1-2" of the legroom. And while I haven't been on these types of seats myself, the Air France version (hard-backed shell) gets awful reviews on FT in terms of comfort. Maybe the extra pitch on JL is the difference.
In any event, JL does seem to have some of the best seating out there in PE as well as Y.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by samwise6222
AA - I missed mid-flight meal as I was sleeping and when I asked for it they said it was already over.
LOL

what a way to make a customer feel special!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:07 pm

JL's seat is better, how much better will depend on how you value your time/money/routing/stops etc. If all things equal, I would prefer to fly JL. If legroom is paramount, hard to beat the "window" bulkhead seats on AA's 77W to HKG:

Last edited by caburrito; Oct 25, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, even the OP noted the 4" of additional seat pitch on JL. To be fair, 38" is pretty much the standard (only NZ really comes close to JL, with 41-42", CX next at 40", and I'm excluding Norwegian). But I think JAL has a fixed shell seat, so that eats up at least 1-2" of the legroom. And while I haven't been on these types of seats myself, the Air France version (hard-backed shell) gets awful reviews on FT in terms of comfort. Maybe the extra pitch on JL is the difference.
In any event, JL does seem to have some of the best seating out there in PE as well as Y.
They actually felt pretty nice.

One problem with AA is when the person ahead of you reclines all the way, it kinda feels cramped. (even though you have much more space than Y)
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by caburrito
JL's seat is better, how much better will depend on how you value your time/money/routing/stops etc. If all things equal, I would prefer to fly JL. If legroom is paramount, hard to beat the "window" bulkhead seats on the AA's 77W to HKG:

That's a pretty darn incontestable evidence of foot room for those 77W bulkhead seats.

Speaking of which, excellent choice in footwear. The white soles help to outline your feet against the similarly colored carpeting otherwise you'll feel like you're floating.

Photo and stylish footwear credit: @timfucius
timfucius likes this.

Last edited by enpremiere; Oct 24, 2018 at 3:12 pm Reason: Mistaken image quote
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
That's a pretty darn incontestable evidence of foot room for those 77W bulkhead seats.

Speaking of which, excellent choice in footwear. The white soles help to outline your feet against the similarly colored carpeting otherwise you'll feel like you're floating.
I'm sure timfucius appreciates the compliments, you can check out more pics of his if you click on the image
timfucius likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by caburrito
I'm sure timfucius appreciates the compliments, you can check out more pics of his if you click on the image
Wow. Quote fail on my part. Thank you for the correction!
timfucius likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.