Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out?

Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out?

Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I thought BA.com doesn’t show/allow booking less than 7 (?) days in advance. Or is that specifically for CX awards? Could suggest this is phantom inventory.
BA does not seem to show any availability for CX for several days before the flight. Some have been able to get the BAEC call center to book in this situation.
Award space on CX
CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
List of several domestic routes that are blacked out at T-14 on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...weeks-flights/
Title of this thread should be updated. This is much more widespread than just LHR.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
This is really crazy. What the hell is AA thinking? Sad to see this once decent airline get completely destroyed from all angles. Worse than the OU defense IMO!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by no1cub17
This is really crazy. What the hell is AA thinking? Sad to see this once decent airline get completely destroyed from all angles. Worse than the OU defense IMO!
They were almost as good as the UT defense.... After all, UT did allow 45 points... Of course OU only let 3 more points score.
I had no skin in that game. I just happened to be at the State Fair (where the Cotton Bowl is, at the time of the game on Saturday)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:14 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Air Houston
DL severely restricts availability of mileage awards at lower levels within 21days of departure for many routes so perhaps AA is copying this practice. Or perhaps they are just trying to discourage award bookings this month to drive more cash bookings so they can meet their cash flow commitment to the Street.
I have been watching award availability for late October and early November Stl-Pop and have made some interesting observations. More than a month out there are 7s in T mostly 4 out of 7 days of the week. These are at 12.5. At one month ( literally the difference between last night and this morning) 7 goes to zero almost entirely. If you are able to find a saver within 1 month it is now 15k or 17.5k and not 12.5 but these are rare and are more likely than not Wed flights.

This route generally has lots of saver award space that you used to be able to book close in but no longer. To me it seems that to make their statistics look better there is award availability farther out but AA does not want to let those needing close in tickets use saver awards but would rather force them to use more miles or cash irrespective of availability.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:38 am
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
Why isn't this getting more traction? Where are the AA bloggers?
cesco.g, JJeffrey and lbbzman like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by DJZ
If it doesn't tick off the business travelers, it's not really going to make big waves. Just another program enhancement that may or may not get modified depending on the revenue results (if it is indeed related to close-in revenue optimization) just like BE and the carry-on policy was.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DJZ
I'm surprised Gary hasn't touched it - he usually doesn't hold back from a good ol AA bashing session.

Or maybe this is only affecting a small subset of us and is less readily visible than the other issues with AA these days, and there are many of those. But I've noticed it too, even out of OKC. Loads of award space 7-14 days out, then poof, vanishes into thin air. Incredible how low AA has sunk.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:29 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I'm flying LHR-LAX on 10-25 and I've had EF alerts set hoping that the almost-impossible might just happen and a J Saver might appear. Meanwhile I also see the Y Saver inventory and I've noticed that there are Y Savers on 10/23 which means that on flights back to the US there are Y Savers available only 5 days out. Revenue management seems to have a bit of a double standard for lack of a better way of putting it with a much shorter time window returning to the US versus leaving.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DJZ
Agreed. But I guess publicizing a big miles usability devaluation isn't necessarily good for credit card sign ups.

Originally Posted by BLG
I'm flying LHR-LAX on 10-25 and I've had EF alerts set hoping that the almost-impossible might just happen and a J Saver might appear. Meanwhile I also see the Y Saver inventory and I've noticed that there are Y Savers on 10/23 which means that on flights back to the US there are Y Savers available only 5 days out. Revenue management seems to have a bit of a double standard for lack of a better way of putting it with a much shorter time window returning to the US versus leaving.
There is also availability on LAX-LHR on 10/23, so who knows what's going on. When I checked availability a few weeks ago there was the same 14/7 day windows on each route for both to and from Europe.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by DJZ
For starters, why does the title of this thread still single out LHR when it's far more widespread? A catchier FT title will attract more blog coverage.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
List of several domestic routes that are blacked out at T-14 on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...weeks-flights/
SK likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:46 pm

Hidden devaluation enhancements that bloggers have no incentive to write about. You think they want to say that 50,000 sign up bonus is not going to get you over the water in business class anymore? Or if you want that saver awards you have a forced 10 hour layovers that are long enough to make it painful but short enough so you can not even make a small excursion. Earn them miles and burn them folks it is only getting worse. Opaque point devalues are loved by the airlines and hotels.
enviroian and Beltway2A like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Hidden devaluation enhancements that bloggers have no incentive to write about. You think they want to say that 50,000 sign up bonus is not going to get you over the water in business class anymore? Or if you want that saver awards you have a forced 10 hour layovers that are long enough to make it painful but short enough so you can not even make a small excursion. Earn them miles and burn them folks it is only getting worse. Opaque point devalues are loved by the airlines and hotels.
Seems like a totally easy story to monetize--"AA just made their miles even less valuable! Maybe you should earn Membership Rewards or Ultimate Rewards instead--here's links to start earning now!"
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn
Seems like a totally easy story to monetize--"AA just made their miles even less valuable! Maybe you should earn Membership Rewards or Ultimate Rewards instead--here's links to start earning now!"
That would have actually required a modicum of creativity.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
No
I've always been curious about this "Expanded award availability for CK and EXP". I've been looking for award tix in January to FAR and the only sAAver ones are either overnight connections. Some avail has changed since I started looking but nothing that meets what I need for departure. I'm curious to know what PP and PL sees for the same dates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.