Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No I understood you, my point was that the BOS-LHR sAAver economy availability you see on Oct. 10 matches the availability you can get from ORD/JFK to LHR also on Oct. 10.

Oct. 10 is actually 7 days out (not 6) if you count today as day 1.

For whatever the reason AA is keeping sAAver economy open until 7 days out on JFK/ORD/BOS-LHR, while for most other routes it's now 14 days.
Ah, gotcha. Yes, I now see that there's nothing available exclusively on AA on 10/8 or 10/9. That said, it's almost 1am here on the east coast and I still see AA-only options on 10/10. Wonder if they get pulled around midnight or 3am CDT.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dkc192
Ah, gotcha. Yes, I now see that there's nothing available exclusively on AA on 10/8 or 10/9. That said, it's almost 1am here on the east coast and I still see AA-only options on 10/10. Wonder if they get pulled around midnight or 3am CDT.
Who knows, definitely sometime overnight. It's now 6am Eastern here, all of the 7 day sAAver space JFK/ORD/BOS-LHR has now shifted to Oct. 11, while the 14 day cities have all shifted ahead a day to Oct. 18.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:41 pm

Why does the system force me to book an award DCA-CLT-ORD-CDG when DCA-ORD and ORD-CDG are both open independently?
Isnt this more costly especially considering both segments were open anyway? Why not offer it available as a connection?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chuck1
Why does the system force me to book an award DCA-CLT-ORD-CDG when DCA-ORD and ORD-CDG are both open independently?
Isnt this more costly especially considering both segments were open anyway? Why not offer it available as a connection?
Because the new AA is going for great. This is married segment availability (see below thread) and is unrelated (mostly) to the issue being discussed here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-segments.html
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Because the new AA is going for great. This is married segment availability (see below thread) and is unrelated (mostly) to the issue being discussed here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-segments.html
Yep, MAAGAA
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:28 am

Just to add to this, it appears that using BA.com and Avios, you can actually book the same AA flights that are unavailable at the sAAver level, within the 7 or 14 day window that they appear to be restricted to AAdvantage members.

It's 20K Avios plus roughly £145 in taxes for a JFK-LHR.

I don't know if this is because I'm a BA Gold card member, as a bit like EXPs we get expanded economy class award availability. If there's revenue V class available, then awards can book into those. My only theory for this is that's where they're booking into, as opposed to X.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Just to add to this, it appears that using BA.com and Avios, you can actually book the same AA flights that are unavailable at the sAAver level, within the 7 or 14 day window that they appear to be restricted to AAdvantage members.

It's 20K Avios plus roughly £145 in taxes for a JFK-LHR.

I don't know if this is because I'm a BA Gold card member, as a bit like EXPs we get expanded economy class award availability. If there's revenue V class available, then awards can book into those. My only theory for this is that's where they're booking into, as opposed to X.
I'm a bit confused, could you clarify, please? My understanding is that all SAAver awards book into T/U/Z inventory regardless of being booked via AAdvantage or BAEC. I'm not aware of BAEC Golds being able to book AA award flights into any other inventory, including V. Or perhaps you meant that BAEC Golds can book BA flights into V?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:58 am

Hopefully this is within the rules, but here's an extract from my blog post on the subject. Very happy to remove the link if it's not appropriate - I believe I've included all relevant information into this post.

I was looking at today's flights from JFK to LHR on AA metal:

That was the screenshot that I took from AA.com logged in as a no status AAdvantage member.

I then looked at the same route by doing a search on BA.com and voila, every single one of them is available (both AA and BA flights).

The only explanation that I can come up with is that for some reason, BA.com will let me use Avios to book on JBA flights where 'V' class is available (and not just restricted to BA metal).
SK likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:59 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Hopefully this is within the rules, but here's an extract from my blog post on the subject. Very happy to remove the link if it's not appropriate - I believe I've included all relevant information into this post.

That was the screenshot that I took from AA.com logged in as a no status AAdvantage member.

I then looked at the same route by doing a search on BA.com and voila, every single one of them is available (both AA and BA flights).

The only explanation that I can come up with is that for some reason, BA.com will let me use Avios to book on JBA flights where 'V' class is available (and not just restricted to BA metal).

Not long ago I was looking into using some of my Avios for AA awards. If I'm not mistaken there were two things that came into play:

1. On BA, rather than having Anytime and Saver they have Peak and Non-Peak and that's what determines the number of Avios (presumably miles if booked with AA miles).

2. BA's fees for the same flights on AA metal were at least a few hundred dollars (depending on class of service) in spite of the fact that it was AA metal. Not as high as the fees on BA metal but still not nothing.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I am now showing availability (and lots of it) for JFK-LHR in Saver Y this week.

EDIT: Was looking at wrong thing.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BLG
Not long ago I was looking into using some of my Avios for AA awards. If I'm not mistaken there were two things that came into play:

1. On BA, rather than having Anytime and Saver they have Peak and Non-Peak and that's what determines the number of Avios (presumably miles if booked with AA miles).

2. BA's fees for the same flights on AA metal were at least a few hundred dollars (depending on class of service) in spite of the fact that it was AA metal. Not as high as the fees on BA metal but still not nothing.
Both of these factors should not come into play here. What Dave_C pointed out above is a matter of inventory, not award pricing. For AA metal flights, T is the booking code for Saver awards and Y is the booking code for Anytime awards. Partners such as BA only have access to Saver awards, period--whether BA prices them at their own Peak or Off-Peak prices, and/or adds on some amount of additional fuel surcharges is their own prerogative.

Historically to my knowledge, T inventory is the same regardless of which program you are booking through, with the exception of the rare EXP expanded inventory. If what Dave_C posted above on the BA website is indeed bookable (not phantom inventory) via BA but not AA, then the fact that partner members have access to improved close-in T inventory over AA members represents, IMO, a significant devaluation for the latter.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

Thanks. So AA is showing zero SAAver availability while BA is showing the same flights available. As a BAEC Gold, do you have free award cancellation/redeposit? If so, it would be enlightening to book one of those flights (perhaps for a few days later, to be safe) to verify (a) that you can indeed book them on BA, and (b) that they book into T inventory. Then cancel of course.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought BA.com doesn’t show/allow booking less than 7 (?) days in advance. Or is that specifically for CX awards? Could suggest this is phantom inventory.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
DL severely restricts availability of mileage awards at lower levels within 21days of departure for many routes so perhaps AA is copying this practice. Or perhaps they are just trying to discourage award bookings this month to drive more cash bookings so they can meet their cash flow commitment to the Street.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
Thanks. So AA is showing zero SAAver availability while BA is showing the same flights available. As a BAEC Gold, do you have free award cancellation/redeposit?
Checking award flights on BA.com right now (general member account) first date coach seats are available:
SA 13 Oct JFK-LHR AA104 and AA106 = 6 days out.

No seats before that date on AA, tons on BA though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.