Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA

For the last week I've noticed that AA SAAver award seats from TUL to LHR are only available more than 13 days out. For example, today (10/1) the first seats are 10/14. Yesterday 10/13 was available, and the day before that 10/12 was available. I've seen this pattern for the last 8 days.

This appears to be an undocumented reduction in international award travel to UK (at least). In past years I've had no problem in the fall getting AA SAAver award flights through LHR even the same day as departure.

I discovered this because I first search for TUL-KBP which shows if the BA flight to KBP is available. Since BA TATL travel has taxes and fees of about $250 per OW ticket rather than $50 for AA, I then search for AA only TUL-LHR.

Has any one noticed this? Or for anyone have an explanation? I've got GOLD status. Do PLAT or EXP have better availability?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm shocked you found any Saver availability at all
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Kneel
Do PLAT or EXP have better availability?
No
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Very weird and good observation. In spite of the constant moaning on here, sAAver economy to Europe is typically wide open from Sep to May, especially if you book short notice. I checked a few destinations from RDU and see the same thing, nothing in sAAver Y within 2 weeks, then wide open.

Ironically sAAver J has availability within 2 weeks, which leads me to (hopefully) believe this is some sort of glitch.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Is it any different if you don't select TUL as the starting point?
I would simply select Milesaver Business as that IS AVAILABLE
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:05 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Very weird and good observation. In spite of the constant moaning on here, sAAver economy to Europe is typically wide open from Sep to May, especially if you book short notice. I checked a few destinations from RDU and see the same thing, nothing in sAAver Y within 2 weeks, then wide open.

Ironically sAAver J has availability within 2 weeks, which leads me to (hopefully) believe this is some sort of glitch.
Very odd indeed. I've got alerts set on EF for a LHR-LAX mile saver return in J or F in late October and I was shocked to see that there wasn't even Y inventory until Oct. 23rd when I ran a scan for dates between Oct. 18th and Oct. 24th. Let's hope it's a glitch because if this is a change in availability it's a pretty radical one.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by BLG
Very odd indeed. I've got alerts set on EF for a LHR-LAX mile saver return in J or F in late October and I was shocked to see that there wasn't even Y inventory until Oct. 23rd when I ran a scan for dates between Oct. 18th and Oct. 24th. Let's hope it's a glitch because if this is a change in availability it's a pretty radical one.
That patterns makes it seem like a plan, not a glitch. Do you ask an AAgent?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:53 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Saver Award availability is a joke!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Saver Award availability is a joke!
It depends on the season and schedule flexibility. I’ve done dozens of trips to Kyiv, Hawaii, and other cities in SAAver, usually in off-peak. I’m not large-framed and only do up to 5 trips per year, so Gold seat benefits help.

The benefits have decreased over the years: more miles, no gateway city stopovers, and a shooter off-peak season. The major added benefits are one-way award tickets and the 10% Citi/Barclay rebate (on the first 100K miles only). Still, Europe for 20,250 miles (10% off applied, off-peak), is quite a deal. Just don’t take BA TATL ($250 fees each way).
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm shocked you found any Saver availability at all
Not many people want to travel to Europe when it’s dark, gloomy, and cold.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kneel
For the last week I've noticed that AA SAAver award seats from TUL to LHR are only available more than 13 days out. For example, today (10/1) the first seats are 10/14. Yesterday 10/13 was available, and the day before that 10/12 was available. I've seen this pattern for the last 8 days.

This appears to be an undocumented reduction in international award travel to UK (at least).
It's not a general rule. Saver seats are available for travel in less than 14 days from ORD, MIA (Business), JFK...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
No
Um, yes, EXP's do.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
Expanded award seating availability
Executive Platinum members and 1 companion have exclusive access to additional MileSAAver award seating on American Airlines and American Eagle flights. While this is not a guarantee of available seating, it does provide more flexibility when you are traveling on a MileSAAver award. Please call the Executive Platinum service desk to access this benefit.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Nope. Total BS benefit. I’ve called before to “access this benefit” and it’s nothing.
JBauer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I've literally never seen an EXP ever claim to have found any extra award availability through this "benefit". (Some people do say they've seen expanded upgrade availability in the past, but haven't even seen positive reports of this for years.) It's a complete lie as far as I can tell.
bworrell, enviroian and JBauer like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Saver is AA's version of the original FFP, E.g., AA gave away "free tickets" which it would not likely sell.

Needless to say, that is not the program today. But, it is the essence of Saver. If there is no Saver availability, it is because AA believes that it can sell the space for more (cash or redemption). No different than cash prices.

However, with the economy on screech, look to less Saver avail. as a general matter going forward. May mean you need more flexibility as to dates, destinations, and schedules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.