Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Flight Change - I’m Totally Unhappy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Flight Change - I’m Totally Unhappy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is ticketed LAX-HKG with a connection at DFW. He wants to change that. Whether he changes one segment or both is irrelevant. A change is a change.

On the LAX-HKG route, AA competes for its nonstop service with CX and HX. If AA is losing any business to either of them because it won't offer a fee free change to someone flying LAX-HKG and choosing to connect at DFW rather than fly nonstop, I would be surprised.

But, I don't have access to the data. I presume that you don't either.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Too often, front-line agents are penny wise and pound foolish, especially for a change where a flight is leaving in a few hours, and not one that is weeks or months away.
Agreed. Although I wouldn't blame front-line agents for this. AA likely severely limits their ability to exercise any discretion on a wide range of issues, and in those instances when they are allowed discretion, they almost certainly have to defend their actions after the fact.

Originally Posted by Often1
On the LAX-HKG route, AA competes for its nonstop service with CX and HX. If AA is losing any business to either of them because it won't offer a fee free change to someone flying LAX-HKG and choosing to connect at DFW rather than fly nonstop, I would be surprised.
With the possible exception of full fare tickets, CX definitely does NOT allow free flight changes. Same day or not. I can't speak to HX, but I suspect the same would apply to them as well.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
As with upgrades or discount award flights, I consider same-day confirmed flight changes a nice benefit when they're available (and I've been able to avail myself of all of these things countless times). Never in a million years would I rely on it as part of my travel planning, though.
JDiver, jspira and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by chavala
“no supervisors are working” ??? Really? Nobody is in charge.
It used to be all EXP agents had "supervisory" authority but not sure if that still exists.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter

I respectfully disagree.

Offering a product that is never available is misleading, and some other transportation providers have been nailed for the same thing (e.g., offering fares for tickets that are never, or almost never, available has been found to be false advertising or the like).
But, AA is NOT offering it on this itinerary. The OP has an international ticket and AA did NOT advertise SDFC for that kind of ticket
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have done SDFC for a few flights last year leaving ATL because of possible storms coming thru.
All those flights had an international connections. (paid J)
In fact on one flight the AA angels told me to leave on the earlier flight just to make sure.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fotographer
I have done SDFC for a few flights last year leaving ATL because of possible storms coming thru.
All those flights had an international connections. (paid J)
In fact on one flight the AA angels told me to leave on the earlier flight just to make sure.
I’ve had changes allowed that were technically not allowed (flights originating at LHR and BRU among others), but I consider myself fortunate I was granted those; I certainly wasn’t entitled to them (and I knew it when I politely asked).
wrp96, pmblinn and enpremiere like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I haven't been able to use SDFC the last few years. Just tried again yesterday and the only option LAX-IND was to standby on 1 flight. If you search for LAX-IND you can find dozens of options. So in my case, it's of no value. Just like milesaver awards, almost never have one I can use.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:02 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I detest AA’s SDFC policy and I have made it known multiple times here

However, your issue isn’t really with the agent or this benefit being a fraud. The issue here are the, in my honest opinion, overly restrictive rules. Same routing, same number of connections, E fare must be available, etc. Almost as if AA really did not want to offer this benefit but to remain competitive with UA/DL/WN their hands are tied so they will offer this benefit with as many controls in place to keep the potential costs of this benefits to a bare minimum.

Losing UA’s SDC benefit when I moved over to AA was a tough one but AA operates 2x more flights out of PIT with broader nonstop access to more hubs. Being PIT based with UA for 2 years was miserable as a long delay almost guarantees overnighting at a hub given how limited UA is here after the post merger cuts.

Originally Posted by TSparky
I haven't been able to use SDFC the last few years. Just tried again yesterday and the only option LAX-IND was to standby on 1 flight. If you search for LAX-IND you can find dozens of options. So in my case, it's of no value. Just like milesaver awards, almost never have one I can use.
This is most likely due to identical routing restriction. You will only see options for the same connecting cities so say you are flying via PHX and there are only two PHX-IND fights then generally the most you will see is one alternative assuming E is available. You won’t see options via DFW, ORD, CLT, or even the nonstop to LAX.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by golfingboy
This is most likely due to identical routing restriction. You will only see options for the same connecting cities so say you are flying via PHX and there are only two PHX-IND fights then generally the most you will see is one alternative assuming E is available. You won’t see options via DFW, ORD, CLT, or even the nonstop to LAX.
Yesterday's case was for that exact reason - I detest the rule that limits it to the exact routing. However, I have tried when connecting via DFW with nothing available, not even a standby.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 1, 2018 at 6:11 pm Reason: Close quote
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Often1
On the LAX-HKG route, AA competes for its nonstop service with CX and HX.
OP is not flying nonstop LAX-HKG, so I have no idea why you are only listing the carriers that fly nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.