Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Flight Change - I知 Totally Unhappy

Same Day Flight Change - I知 Totally Unhappy

Reply

Old Sep 30, 18, 10:09 am
  #16  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,305
Please see

Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby". Domestic SDFC includes Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands).

and

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated) (JFK-LHR only).

AA lists SDFC here. It specifies under which conditions SDFC is offered; when the desired changes do not fit the stated conditions, SDFC is not available (e.g. on international flights other than to

U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean or between / through New York (JFK) and London Heathrow (LHR). (All other origins, destinations / flights are excluded.)

The OP is ineligible for SDFC, and apparently purchased a restricted fare. And probably didn’t bother reading the detailed fare rules when presented with the opportunity.

We may not like the various restrictions, having to read the detailed fare rules or paying more for unrestricted fares, but it’s doubtful the airline - any airline - will waive the rules they have in place merely because we want them to.
CPRich, jspira and LovePrunes like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 1, 18 at 9:23 am Reason: Add specific flight rules
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 10:39 am
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London; Bangkok; San Diego
Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
Posts: 8,136
Had the agent told me my ticket was not eligible because I was connecting to an international flight, I would have understood that (but wouldn't have liked it).

But she didn't.

What she said was that there was no inventory on any of the 14 flights for a same day change. It was only when I asked for a downgrade to economy that I was told she would have to reprice the ticket.

As far as restrictions on the ticket, good luck finding those spelled out readily before one buys a ticket. And I have yet to see one that says same-day changes are not permitted in a premium cabin.

For the airline protection advocates here, which pop up on just about every thread when someone raises a complaint, perhaps THEY should read what AA posts on its web site about eligibility for same day changes: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

See anything on that page about excluding international connections? I don't.

What I do see is, "Offer is made at our discretion and subject to change or termination at any time."

Now I understand that agents don't know a lot of things and make things up as they go to get onto the next call, but there is a pretty fundamental difference between your ticket is not eligible and there are no same day change seats.

And, yes, she told me there were no supervisors working and that nothing could be done.

When AA has the option to exercise discretion, and availability is 0 for 14 when seats are for sale on every single flight today, that is flat out fraud.
Always Flyin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 10:45 am
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 26,984
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
...When AA has the option to exercise discretion, and availability is 0 for 14 when seats are for sale on every single flight today, that is flat out fraud.
It's many things.

It however is nothing even remotely *resembling* "fraud."
JonNYC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 10:51 am
  #19  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London; Bangkok; San Diego
Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
Posts: 8,136
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
It's many things.

It however is nothing even remotely *resembling* "fraud."
It most certainly is.

When AA advertises that same day changes are a benefit of flying the airline, but then reserves the right to change that benefit at their discretion in the fine print and then limits it so severely that it is effectively unusable, that is fraudulent advertising. Note the word, "Fraud."
Always Flyin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 10:53 am
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,630
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
It most certainly is.

When AA advertises that same day changes are a benefit of flying the airline, but then reserves the right to change that benefit at their discretion and then limits it so severely that it is effectively unusable, that is fraudulent advertising. Note the word, "Fraud."
If you cannot get a change to a booking using SDFC on a route (LAX-HKG) which does not, from what I can see according to the terms, permit SDFC , then that is not fraud but an expected outcome
wrp96 likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 10:56 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area
Programs: Ralphs Rewards, AA Lame Duck
Posts: 3,851
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
When AA advertises that same day changes are a benefit of flying the airline, but then reserves the right to change that benefit at their discretion in the fine print and then limits it so severely that it is effectively unusable, that is fraudulent advertising.
No, it isn't. You may think it is, but ...

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 30, 18 at 11:57 am Reason: Redacted in e essary bit
Science Goy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 11:07 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The FT AA forum, until it no longer wants me.
Programs: CK or bust
Posts: 819
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
It's many things.

It however is nothing even remotely *resembling* "fraud."
It did make an otherwise open and shut forum post more sensational with the title before it was more aptly renamed however!
enpremiere is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 11:50 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,833
I have never had a problem doing same day change on the domestic portion of an international itinerary - never. Subject to availability of course.

I do not consider the same day change fraud, not even close to it. It sucks compared to UA but not at all fraud.
mcgahat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 12:03 pm
  #24  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London; Bangkok; San Diego
Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
Posts: 8,136
<redacted>

I am done here but will leave this with one final comment:

Where does AA say that international flights are exempt from same-day change benefit and where does it say that domestic connections to international flights are exempt?

I am not seeing it: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

Ciao.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 30, 18 at 6:40 pm Reason: Redacted second comment on Moderator actions
Always Flyin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 1:00 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: AA EXP, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Posts: 578
So OP books flight, wants to change it, AA says there is no availability in that fare code for the pax, so OP wants them to change his fare code (which can only be done on a reprice) and pax is made that AA wants to reprice.

Listen, I get it, AA has some frustrating practices, and sometimes their policies are vague as heck. But this is not fraud, and AA has explained to you what they can do, you just choose to make <redacted> statements instead of understanding. Comes off quite DYKWIA to me personally.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 30, 18 at 7:01 pm Reason: Redacted overly personal statement
SpinOn2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 1:39 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Gold but aiming for Plat Pro. Enterprise Platinum though, woo-hoo!
Posts: 2,843
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Please read the terms & conditions for SDC which are posted in plain English on the AA website and then tell me how you can possibly make this statement.

OP is ticketed LAX-HKG with a connection at DFW. That is not eligible for SDC. Period.

Of course it's not available because it is not eligible,

On the other hand, if OP were ticketed for LAX-DFW of LAX-anywhere domestic or LAX-JFK-LHR, and SDC is never available, then it would be a meaningless benefit and subject to appropriate consumer fraud action by DOT.
I disagree. The fact that it's never or almost never available on one route doesn't make it fraudulent.

I do agree there should be a threshold below which you shouldn't be able to advertise something. For example, there's a difference between advertising a $249 TV for $199 and saying "Quantities Limited" when you only have 50 to sell and advertising a $249 TV for $49 as a Black Friday special without saying "5 available per store."
redtop43 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 2:26 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Posts: 3,766
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Please read the terms & conditions for SDC which are posted in plain English on the AA website and then tell me how you can possibly make this statement.

OP is ticketed LAX-HKG with a connection at DFW. That is not eligible for SDC. Period.

Of course it's not available because it is not eligible,

On the other hand, if OP were ticketed for LAX-DFW of LAX-anywhere domestic or LAX-JFK-LHR, and SDC is never available, then it would be a meaningless benefit and subject to appropriate consumer fraud action by DOT.
I have read them.

I have tried SDFC many times: in my case, to try to change a 1-segment domestic trip to the exact same flight at a different time the same day.

SDFC is effectively never available even when I go to the airport and end up getting on the other flight due to plenty of seats being available.
NYCommuter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 2:39 pm
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,630
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
I love how posts are now being arbitrarily deleted.

I am done here but will leave this with one final comment:

Where does AA say that international flights are exempt from same-day change benefit and where does it say that domestic connections to international flights are exempt?

I am not seeing it: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

Ciao.
In the table of pricing

Fees by market
U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands $75
Canada and the Caribbean $75
Between / through New York (JFK) and London Heathrow (LHR) $150

Asia is not in that list

In the T&Cs it also states
■On select routes operated and marketed by American or American Eagle, based on availability
■No changes to depart / arrival airports, number of flight segments, connection cities or from a through flight to a connecting or nonstop flight

You were wanting to do a Same day change to a journey from Los Angeles to Hong Kong

Changing only the time would comply with the no change to number of flight segments and connection cities , however it is only available on select routes and the pricing lists the markets , none of which is US to Asia
JDiver likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 2:52 pm
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 39,719
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post


I have read them.

I have tried SDFC many times: in my case, to try to change a 1-segment domestic trip to the exact same flight at a different time the same day.

SDFC is effectively never available even when I go to the airport and end up getting on the other flight due to plenty of seats being available.
Picking a random day, close in, for LAX-HKG via DFW, AA sells J inflexible for roughly $2,855 and J flexible for roughly $3,982. I have no idea what OP paid for his ticket nor do I know the difference between flexible and inflexible on his ticket, but as an example, on the close in ticket I priced, there is a 39% discount for accepting inflexibility.

OP now seems to accept that he was never entitled to SDC because it is not offered on his routing and that is clear from the COC, fare rules, and then plain English of the website.

He now believes that the agent ought to have waived the upfare of roughly $1,100 just because OP asked.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 18, 5:14 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 1,759
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Picking a random day, close in, for LAX-HKG via DFW, AA sells J inflexible for roughly $2,855 and J flexible for roughly $3,982. I have no idea what OP paid for his ticket nor do I know the difference between flexible and inflexible on his ticket, but as an example, on the close in ticket I priced, there is a 39% discount for accepting inflexibility.

OP now seems to accept that he was never entitled to SDC because it is not offered on his routing and that is clear from the COC, fare rules, and then plain English of the website.

He now believes that the agent ought to have waived the upfare of roughly $1,100 just because OP asked.
This is a silly comparison because the flexibility on the more expensive ticket includes flexibility on the international sector - which is much pricier and could be much more costly if one needed to change it on an inflexible ticket

It is silly to have a premium cabin customer connecting to a domestic flight with same-day inventory that will perish and not offer them any options. At most, DL would have done this for the $75 SDC fee.

AA is not operating in a competition-free environment. They are not the only one offering fares. If they offer such poor service and lack of flexibility or options for a premium cabin customer - whether that customer bought discounted/nonflexible J, or flexible/full fare J, they may take all that money elsewhere next time. Too often, front-line agents are penny wise and pound foolish, especially for a change where a flight is leaving in a few hours, and not one that is weeks or months away.
btonkid12345 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread