Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
but ... they didn't jack up the price. Isn't this lower than before the merger? You can buy first class next week for $500 round trip.

Plus, you have Admirals Clubs on both ends with better food than before the merger and lots of non stop options in case of IRROPS. Wish I lived on a route where AA, DL, and UA decided to aggressively compete.

A trip to Europe on AA, BA, Finnair, or Iberia and you'll be all set.
Thanks for the suggestion about BA, Finnair or Iberia; I hadn't realized that and may well do it.

Before the merger, I had unlimited upgrades as a US Gold (50,000 mile level). Sadly, unlimited upgrades are long gone, so that has resulted in receiving a worse product in that respect.

I haven't done a full analysis, but my sense is that fares have gone up overall.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Trying to be proactive, I figured out my EQMs and EQDs for the rest of the year and realized that I'm heading towards a shortfall in EQDs. So I just plotted out my travel for the rest of the year and will be forking over about $700 more than I otherwise would have spent, all for first class tickets when I would ordinarily book coach in order to meet EQD requirements.

I'm angry. I've been a loyal customer of AA and US Airways for decades. I feel as though I am totally wasting $700 just because a near-monopoly business basically requires one to have Platinum or higher status in order to have a decent experience flying, and the near-monopoly business has made it much harder to reach higher-tier status by adding EQD requirements.

I guess I'd be livid if I had to pay a fee to keep status, without at least getting some first-class trips out of it, so I shouldn't be that mad, but I am.

How many others are mad about feeling as though they wasted money just to meet elite requalification requirements that are increasingly harder to attain?

For those of us who actually pay the fee to keep status (which can be up to over $1,000), are you even angrier?
Why do you need PLT to have a decent experience?
That said, there are plenty of flyers in PLT that have had not problem getting the min EQDs required.
As someone noted, the requirements didn't suddenly change this year. If it is harder this year, then that would indicate you paid less in fares.
I am not clear how AA getting less money is all their fault?

Last edited by mvoight; Oct 1, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

I haven't done a full analysis, but my sense is that fares have gone up overall.
And you started this thread because you were $700 short of EQDs?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by r415
+1. I'm not saying that anyone should pay anything to maintain status, but the fact is that the mass-consolidation to an airline oligarchy with only flimsy half-hearted attempts at anti-trust enforcement by DOJ/FTC is unequivocaly bad for consumers.

In simpler terms, the government pointed out how the US/AA merger would hurt consumers. Doug Parker said, "Trust me, it won't hurt consumers or raise prices". Even some folks on here thought it wouldn't be bad (go back and check if you don't believe me). But come on, we all knew it would hurt. US/AA gave up a few slots and the government backed down from where they should've held strong. This is the result.
Except airfares haven't kept up wiith inflation. Its still the same cost (and often less) to fly to Europe than it was 20 years ago. So, while prices may have gone up, acting like its impossible to fly at a reasonable rate is a false position.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by r415
+1. I'm not saying that anyone should pay anything to maintain status, but the fact is that the mass-consolidation to an airline oligarchy with only flimsy half-hearted attempts at anti-trust enforcement by DOJ/FTC is unequivocaly bad for consumers.

In simpler terms, the government pointed out how the US/AA merger would hurt consumers. Doug Parker said, "Trust me, it won't hurt consumers or raise prices". Even some folks on here thought it wouldn't be bad (go back and check if you don't believe me). But come on, we all knew it would hurt. US/AA gave up a few slots and the government backed down from where they should've held strong. This is the result.
Considering the airlines were losing $BILLIONS every year, did you expect that to keep happening? PRICES had to go up in order for airlines not to lose $BILLIONS per year.
Often1 and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I am in the same boat as the OP. I have decided it is worth it to spend the additional $850 in order to obtain PLT.

I know it is self inflicted but I could not justify going from PLT PRO to Gold. I understand if I chose not to obtain status you can basically pay a la carte but I chose to bite the bullet as I am very captive as my home airport is only served by American Eagle to DFW and having the status seems to be worth it.

I just wish AA would fall in line with BA and offer status freeze for major life events, i.e. paternity freeze, which is the situation I am in this year and will return to normal flying habits next year.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aroeder
I am in the same boat as the OP. I have decided it is worth it to spend the additional $850 in order to obtain PLT.

I know it is self inflicted but I could not justify going from PLT PRO to Gold. I understand if I chose not to obtain status you can basically pay a la carte but I chose to bite the bullet as I am very captive as my home airport is only served by American Eagle to DFW and having the status seems to be worth it.

I just wish AA would fall in line with BA and offer status freeze for major life events, i.e. paternity freeze, which is the situation I am in this year and will return to normal flying habits next year.
Your decision makes total sense; DFW is also an AA fortress and things like a better chance of clearing standby make it worthwhile, although we're both subject to a powerful near-monopoly and make this decision under duress and with our choice limited. Glad I'm not the only one, and glad that we both didn't have to fork out $1400 or whatever AA charges some people.
Aroeder likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Another thing to consider is JonNYC reporting elite levels will be considered for IRROPS accommodations which I see adding value to PLT PRO and above if they are not beholden to a 5hr requirement.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aroeder
This is one of the things that I think AA could benefit from. Short term flexibility and accomodation leads to long term customer loyalty. A PLT extension one time costs AA little but buys an enormous amount of goodwill; the Costco strategy.

Your decision makes total sense; DFW is also an AA fortress and things like a better chance of clearing standby make it worthwhile, although we're both subject to a powerful near-monopoly and make this decision under duress and with our choice limited. Glad I'm not the only one, and glad that we both didn't have to fork out $1400 or whatever AA charges some people.
Come on.. under duress?

You want the advantages of a major network carrier and benefits such as SDFC and Standby, but aren't willing to meet the terms to have these benefits. How is this a duress situation?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
This is one of the things that I think AA could benefit from. Short term flexibility and accomodation leads to long term customer loyalty. A PLT extension one time costs AA little but buys an enormous amount of goodwill; the Costco strategy.

Come on.. under duress?

You want the advantages of a major network carrier and benefits such as SDFC and Standby, but aren't willing to meet the terms to have these benefits. How is this a duress situation?
If you have only one viable choice, and when the terms were recently made more restrictive due to the counterparty's pricing power, that's not really a choice is it?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have only one viable choice, and when the terms were recently made more restrictive due to the counterparty's pricing power, that's not really a choice is it?
You have a choice on whether to throw money at AA so that it says that you are special or to accept that your travel that you want/need to do only meet the criteria for Gold status

You are not being forced to pay AA anything in order to continue using it ( other than the fares which it charges - which are obviously so low that you don't meet the spending requirement for desired status )

You WANT to have Platinum status and seem to be moaning that you are expected to meet the required thresholds in otder to have that status

If it is so important for business purpose to have status, should be able to justify it to a company to pay higher fares in order to ensure it
SJOGuy and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You have a choice on whether to throw money at AA so that it says that you are special or to accept that your travel that you want/need to do only meet the criteria for Gold status

You are not being forced to pay AA anything in order to continue using it ( other than the fares which it charges - which are obviously so low that you don't meet the spending requirement for desired status )

You WANT to have Platinum status and seem to be moaning that you are expected to meet the required thresholds in otder to have that status

If it is so important for business purpose to have status, should be able to justify it to a company to pay higher fares in order to ensure it
So:

If your electric or gas company raises its rates, is it much of a choice to pay them if you want to keep your electric or gas service? Yes, you can buy a ceiling fan or build a fireplace; is that a valid choice?

If you don't have a car and commute to work on public transportation, it is much of a choice to pay more if the local provider raises its rates? Yes, you can walk or buy a car, but is that really a valid choice?

Etc., etc., etc.

What if AA gained even more market share and got rid of elite status altogether except for people who were willing to pay a $2,000 fee for it, it would be a choice to pay that or not, but would it be a real choice for plenty of business travelers?

BTW I sorted out my AA credit cards and other AA flights and will not have to do this in 2019 (I'll requalify by flying and spending on credit cards)...as long as AA doesn't change requalification terms to add in more stringent requirements. Let's just see what AA does before the end of 2019, though; I'm guessing that unless the economy goes south, we will have additional or more stringent requirements to meet due to changed requalification criteria by then.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Oct 1, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Except AA isn't raising its prices - if the fares were increased then this would, seemingly, be a benefit since the EQDs would be higher?

You can fly on AA without platinum status - many many people do so with no issue at all - you do not have to spend $700 to be able to travel with AA - you are CHOOSING to throw money to be special. If you choose to do this and you are unhappy then the only person to be angry about is yourself ; AA isn't requiring that you do so

If an electricity company was to say that it would call you a special elite customer if you used more than x KW per year and give you a super elite card for doing so and you chose to run airconditioning for a week when away just in order to reach the requirement, then again that would be your choice - would that be a sensible idea?

If AA decided to make its FF programme only available to those that were prepared to pay $2000 for membership and you then chose to pay it, again no grounds to be angry about it - if angry, simply do not join

All of your examples are completely flawed - AA is not restricting you from travelling with them and it isn't forcing you to pay higher fares and isn't forcing you to buy status

Very different to a bus company or electricity company raising prices - if AA raised its prices enough then you wouldn't have been short $700
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So:

If your electric or gas company raises its rates, is it much of a choice to pay them if you want to keep your electric or gas service? Yes, you can buy a ceiling fan or build a fireplace; is that a valid choice?

If you don't have a car and commute to work on public transportation, it is much of a choice to pay more if the local provider raises its rates? Yes, you can walk or buy a car, but is that really a valid choice?

Etc., etc., etc.

What if AA gained even more market share and got rid of elite status altogether except for people who were willing to pay a $2,000 fee for it, it would be a choice to pay that or not, but would it be a real choice for plenty of business travelers?

BTW I sorted out my AA credit cards and other AA flights and will not have to do this in 2019 (I'll requalify by flying and spending on credit cards)...as long as AA doesn't change requalification terms to add in more stringent requirements. Let's just see what AA does before the end of 2019, though; I'm guessing that unless the economy goes south, we will have additional or more stringent requirements to meet due to changed requalification criteria by then.
Analogies never work.

Public utilities generally present their rates to a public body such as a Public Utilities Commission in return for being granted a monopoly. That is not the case here.

You have chosen to spend $ to keep a fictional status and to keep flying AA. It is that simple. You are NYC-based and may fly pretty much any carrier you wish. That is what you should do. You may then plow the savings, if any, back into purchasing F or perhaps living a better lifestyle or increasing your investment portfolio. It's all up to you.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why do you need PLT to have a decent experience?
That said, there are plenty of flyers in PLT that have had not problem getting the min EQDs required.
As someone noted, the requirements didn't suddenly change this year. If it is harder this year, then that would indicate you paid less in fares.
I am not clear how AA getting less money is all their fault?
Bingo. I've asked twice, but OP either missed these queries or doesn't want to answer. The silence suggests OP paid less this year for tickets compared to 2017 which, if true, would be a good thing. I would think. Unless, again, your employer pays your fares and you're annoyed that you have to make up the difference from your own pocket to meet established EQD criteria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.