Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Funny that OP abandons thread. He is short on EQD due to fares being cheaper fares would suggest the exact opposite of what is he is complaining about. Competition is causing a thriving environment and lower fares on many routes. In fact, the rise of LCCs in the recent years have forced big airlines to offer more discounted economy fares to fill the seats, albeit they have raised other fees to make up for it. FC fares and nonstop routes for the most part probably haven't changed that much since the demand for those from biz travelers have remained fairly consistent over the years.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Funny that OP abandons thread. He is short on EQD due to fares being cheaper fares would suggest the exact opposite of what is he is complaining about. Competition is causing a thriving environment and lower fares on many routes. In fact, the rise of LCCs in the recent years have forced big airlines to offer more discounted economy fares to fill the seats, albeit they have raised other fees to make up for it. FC fares and nonstop routes for the most part probably haven't changed that much since the demand for those from biz travelers have remained fairly consistent over the years.
Agree with your post. However, I disagree with the part about FC - IMO, AA and the others have been pricing F far more reasonably in the last 4 (?) or so years. A 300 USD RT in Y may be 600 in J, which while not "cheap" is affordable to several. This contrasts with many years ago where Y was 300 and domestic F was 1200.. which is ridiculous, and why a 16F cabin was filled primarily with upgraders.

The buy up is so reasonable that I have purchased a few fares myself, something that I wouldn't have done 5 odd years ago.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Agree with your post. However, I disagree with the part about FC - IMO, AA and the others have been pricing F far more reasonably in the last 4 (?) or so years. A 300 USD RT in Y may be 600 in J, which while not "cheap" is affordable to several. This contrasts with many years ago where Y was 300 and domestic F was 1200.. which is ridiculous, and why a 16F cabin was filled primarily with upgraders.

The buy up is so reasonable that I have purchased a few fares myself, something that I wouldn't have done 5 odd years ago.
Agree completely... All it took was several trips with the President of my company like SFO-MIA-SFO, SFO-DFW-SFO, SFO-CTL-DCA-ORD-SFO and it was quietly approved that we could purchase J/F if reasonable priced. We're both EXP and I bet he get's CK as he's been on the ATW trips for work purposes like crazy...

We'd both be in the 1-5 upgrade list and neither one of us would clear on about 40% of the time last year.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Stop the presses: FTer is mad he had to pay money to buy a plane ticket to meet published FF goals.
moondog and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, he is angry that competition is working, prices are falling, and that is causing damage to his horde of miles & status which were paid for by others in the first place.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If we had true competition in the airline business, ... then legacy airlines wouldn't have been able to get away with imposing EQD requirements a few years ago.
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
What I pay to receive the same general product each year- Platinum status- effectively has increased by $700. Your ticket prices and other fees have likely gone up as well. Do you like that, and would you want me to rejoice at you having to pay more to fly?
So your real complaint is that prices have gone up over the past few years. Good thing that doesn't happen in any other industry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.