Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
That's just not the case, as I've already pointed out. I may be even mostly responsible for this, but near-monopoly businesses that have limited consumer choice play a role. Not looking at the big economic picture leads to less-desirable outcomes for both the industry and consumers. More competition among carriers is a good thing for everyone.
The problem with this thread is you are mixing status qualification and decent flying experience, and then blaming government and supposed lack of competition for your problems. In reality, each of these are mostly mutually exclusive.

Each program sets their own rules as to what they believe is worth rewarding a loyal customer. As a consumer, getting status is entirely optional. In fact, as a high status flyer, you should actually be thankful for the EQD requirement because the popularity of mileage runs these days makes it very easy to get status on EQM alone under the old system. Less people at the high tier means more benefits and upgrades.

We all know AA has not been keeping up with competitors across the board in terms giving pax a comfortable experience regardless of status. Rather than blaming the government and regulations, the blame should be on AA or maybe you should consider switching to a different program as we see all the time here on FT.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by tismfu
To the OP: EQD requirements were the same last year, were they not?

If so, why “$700 more” this year? Does that mean your overall airfare cost has gone down?

I wouldn’t be angry about it either way, though.
There were no EQD requirements until a few years ago, when airlines could finally get away with imposing them.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
The problem is that people here on FT think elite status is the goal in and of itself. i.e. "chasing status".

Easy solution:

Fly what I want/need to fly. Accrue the EQM/EQD that comes with it. Achieve whatever level of status that results in. End of story.

No mileage running. No buying of more expensive fares. No buying-up to a status level. No becoming emotionally invested in an airline/program/CEO. No feelling I am entitled to anything beyond the published terms of the program or that airline "owes" me some special loyalty. No obsessing over it.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:13 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat

There were no EQD requirements until a few years ago, when airlines could finally get away with imposing them.
Yes, but earlier you compared this to "last year" and there were EQD requirements last year.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP

But my question remains: why “$700 more” this year? 2017 EQD reqs were the same. So it seems to me that your base airfare expenditure for 2018 was $700 less than last year. Meaning AA was cheaper for you 2018 vs. 2017, which is a good thing, no? If I’m misinterpreting, please clarify. Thanks! Perhaps if you’re reimbursed for your travel by your employer, or if your employer pays for your travel directly, but not premium cabins, AA being $700 cheaper this year would be frustrating because to make up that EQD deficit the money is coming out of your own pocket?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
On a sheet of paper add up what benefits platinum ACTUALLY gives you verses gold. Are those worth $700 to you personally? For me they aren't so I (past two years had miles for Plat but about 1k short of EQD) didn't chase the next level. My wife is Plat pro and not worth about $1k EQD to get to EP. For some people it would be. If it is worth it just mileage run to Italy or somewhere in Europe on BA in premium economy. NYC and Miami are the best two cities for that run and it's about $750 out of pocket but you'll get far more award miles back than just upgrading a few flights to domestic F.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with a monopoly or any anti competitive business practices. AA doesn't owe anyone anything. We are only entitled for them to live up to the terms they outline.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I spent the better part of a decade as EXP by buying frequent RT transcons for $ 249. I always got upgraded. I ate the food. I drank the booze. I enjoyed the SWU upgrades to far away places in J for the price of discount coach. AA gave me great service even though I was a very poor customer, financially speaking. It was a great run while it lasted.
Bingo! Same here. It was bound to change particularly as the industry narrowed down and became profitable again. I'm living life now as a PLT and it hasn't killed me or sent me into a mental depression. I usually get upgraded when I want and free drinks in MCE make coach a bit more bearable.
TheDudeAbides and LovePrunes like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They run their own loyalty programs, and the Ts & Cs allow them to make changes with sufficient notice. They are still a lot better than most of their counterparts in other countries.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Just to make an actual suggestion to the OP, did you look at the special fares thread and consider flying something on a special fare long-haul instead?
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:12 am

it takes a single J class transcon and J class TATL flight to make BA silver and get free Admirals club access, with no EQD requirement. yes, there is a zero chance of upgrade on AA, but it wouldn't be much higher as an AA PLT.

at this point, is there a downside to this?
ElmhurstNick and ibrandsguest like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I have the opposite problem

After 2 somewhat big international J trips this year on AA partner carriers, I'll have somewhere around 15k EQD (with the credit card bonus), yet only around 80k EQM. So I booked an international mileage run on AA, in PE. I'm not complaining, I found a decent deal, and was able to use an SWU for one of the over water legs so far, fingers (and toes) crossed for the return. I have plenty of Hilton points, so won't suffer once I'm there either. This trip will push me over that 100k barrier, and raise that EQD even higher.

There's still deals to be had. Certainly not the $300-400 runs to Europe, where a few of those gave you EXP. But if you look carefully, plan out your year in advance, you can get some decent vacations out of it...and enjoy business class on other carriers.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by moondog
They run their own loyalty programs, and the Ts & Cs allow them to make changes with sufficient notice. They are still a lot better than most of their counterparts in other countries.
yup..CX is like "AA/BA are too easy to qualify so just move there.."...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:53 am

The poster who said is should be $15,000 spend requirement knows darn well it is coming.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Regardless, this has nothing to do with a monopoly or any anti competitive business practices. AA doesn't owe anyone anything. We are only entitled for them to live up to the terms they outline.
I’ll check in with you when there is ONE network airline left and it takes $20,000 EQDs, 50,000 EQMs AND 100 actual hours in flight (EQHs) to make Silver.

This IS the result of anticompetitive practices and near-monopoly status: a company is able to get consumers to pay more but without corresponding improvements in the product or other competitors to go to. It’s bad for consumers and bad for the economy overall.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
at this point, is there a downside to this?
Maybe the 4 eligible flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.