Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UA announced $15K min PQD for 1K. How soon does AA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA announced $15K min PQD for 1K. How soon does AA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
I dont understand the desire to pre board vs group 1 or 2. By group 2, all the overhead space is still plentiful and less than 20% of the plane has boarded (typically
well the problem is with group 2 boarding you are among fellow EXP's so we are all headed to the same grouping of seats in Y -- bulkhead and emergency row--so depending on where you are in the group 2 line you might find yourself putting your rollerboard in an bin nowhere near your actual seat.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
well the problem is with group 2 boarding you are among fellow EXP's so we are all headed to the same grouping of seats in Y -- bulkhead and emergency row--so depending on where you are in the group 2 line you might find yourself putting your rollerboard in an bin nowhere near your actual seat.
And if EXPs preboarded like UA 1Ks..., it would be exactly the same problem. Same number of people going to the same seats.

I personally check my bag and board after group 9
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:37 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Antarius
And if EXPs preboarded like UA 1Ks..., it would be exactly the same problem. Same number of people going to the same seats.

I personally check my bag and board after group 9
Good plan, maximizes lounge time, and if you're in domestic coach, do you really want to sit any longer than necessary in those uncomfortable seats? I do understand boarding earlier with carryon though as it seems people in the back of the plane love to leave their rollerboards in the damnest places.
If only AA didn't do such a bad job with checked luggage. At least I got a new 22" rollerboard and a little shopping spree for necessary items out of the last checked baggage fiasco though in fairness it might have been a CX issue. Unfortunately it was right before my younger son's wedding, so should have rethought the packing order, though my suit and dress shirt was in another checked bag that made it all the way from BKK. The one missing bag finally made it 5 days later: hole through the side, broken zipper, all name plates and trim stripped off. I guess it was a sign. I loved that bag, but I'm moving on.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
The sooner, the better... Needs to be across the board too, not just EXP.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by kb9522
The sooner, the better... Needs to be across the board too, not just EXP.
I have a hard time understanding the impact on higher EQD elites from lower.

if you are a paid F flyer, no impact, unless you think there will be more F seats for you to SDFC to. But that doesn’t seem to make sense, as it’s dependant on how many seats they hold back at the gate, not whom they give upgrades too.

If you are flying coach but hoping for an upgrade, your high EQDs put you ahead of the other elites whom you hope will get lower status.

(Unless it’s lower EQD elites using miles/copay, but I find that other than CK, Miles-copay are needed for premium transcons like LAX-MIA on a 772).

If you are thinking the priority check in lines would be shorter, well you don’t need status, just a credit card to be in that line.

More MCE seats at last minute for last minute changes? I’ll just buy them, most (but not all) Corp travel policies allow purchase of MCE. I’d do it out of my own pocket if needed.

Will you feel truly elite if the heard is thinned? Once densification is complete, no-one other than F/J on a widebody or 3 class A321 will feel particularly elite.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 30, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
"Nowhere near" ?
Honestly?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA waivers the PQD requirement if you put a foreign address. AA doesn’t do that.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by jlsw7
Are you saying AA has announced a change to EXP qualification?
no , just taking a dig at Mr. Doug
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
In any case, my general observation (from afar) is that UA seems to have way too many 1Ks--the status seems significantly less meaningful than on AA. So I don't think AA needs to make this adjustment to the same extent UA does, but Parker seems intent on making AAdvantage the worst program out there so I'm sure he'll copy this change quite quickly.
I am a 1k and I think your observation is correct. One big piece to this puzzle was that P fares on UA earned 2x EQM and ag least where I travel, AA I fares are always at least $100 more than UA's P fares. And often more than even UA's Z fares...which means AA is simply not allowing large groups of people to buy EQMs at cheap rates that rival the likes of UA.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I don't see any real reason for AA to increase the EQD requirement to $15K. AA prioritizes upgrades by rolling 12mo spend, so the incentives for extra spending are already there. AA was already stingier than UA in terms of upgrade instruments, so UA's move really brings them in alignment with AA rather than leaving AA as an outlier. Other than SWUs, AA won't save much by demoting EXPs to PPs. The newly demoted would still be getting the same basic perks back in Y.

Of course, this is the opportunity for Mr. Parker to stick it to his most loyal customers, so I guess it's a done deal.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
I don't see any real reason for AA to increase the EQD requirement to $15K. AA prioritizes upgrades by rolling 12mo spend, so the incentives for extra spending are already there.
I mean, I guess you could posit that (1) they want to cut back on payments to partners for first class lounge usage, so cull the ranks a little, (2) they want to shrink the EXP desk (without impacting service levels...) as I imagine those are more tenured/expensive agents, and/or (3) they want to give out fewer SWUs. Are those "real" reasons? Maybe, maybe not, but EXP is more than just about upgrade priority.

FWIW, interesting that UA went to $15k for 1K but is still at 100k EQMs AFAIK. DL Diamond is $15k/125k. And it's harder to earn UA EQDs -- I believe only tickets on UA stock count. Pretty bold move when the only competitive advantage you really have is Star Alliance, but you can't really use it that easily if you want to maintain status.

Last edited by ijgordon; Oct 3, 2018 at 10:42 am Reason: Typo EQM->EQD
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by ijgordon
And it's harder to earn UA EQMs -- I believe only tickets on UA stock count.
Not true. You basically always get EQMs as long as the operating carrier is UA or Star Alliance and the fare class qualifies. Which is good for me because I fly a lot of transpac and always try to avoid UA metal when I can...
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
And it's harder to earn UA EQMs -- I believe only tickets on UA stock count.
Originally Posted by joejones
Not true. You basically always get EQMs as long as the operating carrier is UA or Star Alliance and the fare class qualifies.
You can only earn EQDs on UA stock; you can earn EQMs on any *A stock.
enviroian and GTITAN like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
FWIW, interesting that UA went to $15k for 1K but is still at 100k EQMs AFAIK. DL Diamond is $15k/125k. And it's harder to earn UA EQMs -- I believe only tickets on UA stock count. Pretty bold move when the only competitive advantage you really have is Star Alliance, but you can't really use it that easily if you want to maintain status.
I think UA simply wants more profitable customers that they forego revenue on (in terms of their benefits). The way they implemented this change with higher PQD and lower PQM earning on Yup fares effectively does this nicely. If you booked P exclusively to cross 12k PQD, you are getting hammered twice. The choice is to either book P and not make status or you have to book at least Z (on AUS-EWR-AUS that is $100 more roundtrip) to earn the extra PQMs. The end result will be higher yielding pax in the F cabin and among 1ks.

The gaping inconsistency is the relatively cheap buyup offers to non-elites because they counteract the objective they are following, IMO, but it is what t is.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
What's wrong with "gaming" your way to EXP?

Life is full of opportunities to "game" the system. Some people have the time and tenacity to learn the game and play the game. Others choose not to.

Gamers are not criminals.
It was much easier during the low fares (sub $100 transcons) and quadruple mile promos (triple miles promo plus old plt/exp 100 percent bonus)
And to think, I never had a need or desire to fly from BNA before that. I remember a trip from San Juan to Seattle, but I don't remember the routing I took, but it was cheap and I got quad RDMs
Yes, RDMs are EQMs, but while getting cheap RDMs it was easy to get the needed EQMs, and no EQDs needed back then. I didn't consider it "gaming". I considered it like "sweat equity" by flying to get tickets and upgrades for family.
But, thanks to this, I also am Lifetime PLT, which has been useful, because I had "gamed" the system back when ALL MILES counted for lifetime status
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.