Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sydunipete
I think this is a very recent, very American and very obvious trend and I’m not yank bashing here. I travel a lot between Australia, Asia, Europe and North America. On my most recent trip to the states it’s hard to think of a single public outing where I wasn’t subjected to somebody’s use of a mobile device without headphones. Buses, restaurants, lounges, yes - onboard flights and it was movies, games, music and voice / video calls. It’s everywhere.

It’s the worst manners. Sometimes a death stare or “please knock it off” worked.

What’s going on? (Maybe apple doing away with the headphone jack has a lot to do with it, but that doesn’t excuse obnoxious behaviour.)
I’d much rather have this than the constant cigarette smoke being blown in my face on every sidewalk, outdoor cafe/restaurant, outside of every single building, etc. when I travel internationally, especially Europe and the Middle East.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Think of the joys of riding the NEC on Amtrak and listening to phone calls and put that into an airplane....
We used to have a good corporate deal for riding in F on Amrak. I used to skip it and go to the quiet car due to the phone conversations and the meetings that people would hold in the car.

I guess to me the best FU would be to let them know that you are recording them. I'm guessing that you would wind up in a scrape or two. I suppose I would just rather continue to believe that I am superior to these peasants who broadcast their business...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by RaoulM
On my last flight back from Sydney to SFO, the guy next to me stood up (and therefore had me stand up to get out of his way) to get things out of his bag in the overhead *six times* - I counted.

Like you, I have to wonder if these people have this same level of disorganization and lack of planning in their personal or professional life - or do they just check their brain along with their bags in the airport?
I am frequently one of those stand up and get things down persons. But only if I have an aisle seat.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Unless the wifi providers block the network ports used for various VOIP services (Skype, WhatsApp, FaceTime, etc.), we can expect to see more of this as the high speed internet services become more common.

I admit I've done a VOIP call or two using Apple FaceTime Audio, but I stepped into the galley and was very discrete. The FA looked at me weird and went about her business...
JetBlue seems to block voice ports on their free wifi everyone gets. Fast enuf to stream/watch home Baseball team. (Incoming voice on calls come thru - outgoing voice doesn't.) Video on calls works both ways. Tested it for a few minutes on flite where seat next to me was vacant.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
How awful of me that I might want to, say, wish my child goodnight, or discuss my parent's medical treatment with the doctor.
This thread has now jumped the shark.
enviroian and SJOGuy like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I agree with not making calls. Whether it’s confidential or not seems irrelevant as those conversations shouldn’t be had when people can overhear anywhere, not just on a plane, and the confidential nature doesn’t impose extra harm on the person overhearing.

I think the bigger issue, in terms of my flight experience are couples having loud (or even just medium volume) conversations. In terms of impact,it’s the same on me.

scfw0x0f likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by reeg2
How did you hear the guy through your noise-canceling headphones that you put on immediately upon boarding?
Wait - everyone doesn't do that?
The trouble is that above 'noise cancelling' headphones let through voices very well. You can hear everything people say.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: American Airlines
Funny story. En route to Hong Kong back in Spring 2017; sitting in J, have WiFi for texts messages. We were in the middle of closing a large capital raise so got WiFi for whole flight so could get emails / texts. Somewhere over the pacific I hear this vibrating sound, look over, and my phone is ringing. Had no idea at the time WiFi calling would work; it was our outside counsel and I picked it up out of sheer curiosity. When I said hello, our lead attorney said “oh ...., you missed your flight”. He was calling to leave me a VM assuming I would get it when we landed and when I picked up he assumed I was obviously not in the plane.

After we both laughed for a minute, especially at the fact the quality of the call was better than many times when I was on the ground, we got a bunch covered which allowed me to get other stuff done upon landing and sped the closing up by a day. At the time the FA walks by and I looked up and said “am I allowed to do this??” Which she laughed and said “I had no idea it would work, knock yourself out”.

I kept my voice at a lower level and afterwards the person to my right in the center section and I talked as she was shocked as well. She said if she didn’t see the phone (I had it on my ear, not speaker) she would have assumed I was talking to another pax and it was not at all intrusive and should could not really hear anything clear.

So, all valid points against calls but I guess in my situation my consideration for others around me and the enormous time it saved us it all worked out. YMMV.

Cheers,
TG
Spiff and percysmith like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts that devolved into uncivil discussion between two members, as well as those of members who felt they must chime in, have been deleted as disruptive and being dilatory to the topic. Further disruptive posting behavior will result in disciplinary action.

For guidance about posting when dissenting with others please refer to the FlyerTalk Rules, particularly those beginning at Rule 12. Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content. Link to this Rule.

Thank you for helping keep FlyerTalk friendly, respectful and welcoming.

scfw0x0f likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by enviroian
it's in the American Way
First, your quoted paragraph does not prohibit it. If one can find a service that works in this capacity, there is nothing prohibiting that person from using it. Secondly, even if it did say VOIP is prohibited, what court is going to rule that a marketing paragraph in a quarterly entertainment magazine is legally binding?

So again, where is the rule that prohibits VOIP calls that everyone keeps citing?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Um, when it's done discreetly, you don't know about it. That's the whole point. You know, if a tree falls in the woods...?
You can blame those who are unable or unwilling to make calls discretely for the ban.

Originally Posted by Frizzy
The trouble is that above 'noise cancelling' headphones let through voices very well. You can hear everything people say.
Absolutely. They are not designed to block the frequency range of human speech.

Originally Posted by kb9522

First, your quoted paragraph does not prohibit it. If one can find a service that works in this capacity, there is nothing prohibiting that person from using it. Secondly, even if it did say VOIP is prohibited, what court is going to rule that a marketing paragraph in a quarterly entertainment magazine is legally binding?

So again, where is the rule that prohibits VOIP calls that everyone keeps citing?
This has been a very big deal with flight attendants and their union. You can argue until you are blue in the face but they are going to instruct you to terminate the call.

If you fail to comply, they will have the police meet the plane. I don't have to cite the law for failing to comply with a flight attendant's instructions, do I?
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by kb9522
First, your quoted paragraph does not prohibit it. ... So again, where is the rule that prohibits VOIP calls that everyone keeps citing?
Well, it's on the way. Last week, the House passed the FAA Reauthorization act. Once the Senate passes it and the President signs it, there will be a new law 49 USC 41725, which says

§ 41725. Prohibition on certain cell phone voice communications

“(a) Prohibition.—The Secretary of Transportation shall issue regulations—

“(1) to prohibit an individual on an aircraft from engaging in voice communications using a mobile communications device during a flight of that aircraft in scheduled passenger interstate or intrastate air transportation; and

“(2) that exempt from the prohibition described in paragraph (1) any—

“(A) member of the flight crew on duty on an aircraft;

“(B) flight attendant on duty on an aircraft; and

“(C) Federal law enforcement officer acting in an official capacity.

“(b) Definitions.—In this section, the following definitions apply:

“(1) FLIGHT.—The term ‘flight’ means, with respect to an aircraft, the period beginning when the aircraft takes off and ending when the aircraft lands.

“(2) MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE.—

“(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘mobile communications device’ means any portable wireless telecommunications equipment utilized for the transmission or reception of voice data.

“(B) LIMITATION.—The term ‘mobile communications device’ does not include a phone installed on an aircraft.”.
That will settle it once and for all. VoIP would be clearly covered. I suppose someone could make an argument that a laptop is not "telecommunications equipment" but I think that would be an uphill battle, and we also don't know if that particular issue will be made more clear once this gets enacted into FAR. So get your speakerphone calls in while you can.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Far from coear as I see a laptop using VoIP prohibited under that definition. Not sure why you think a laptop is excluded. It is mobile and it has wireless capabilities. Nothing about primary purpose in the definition.

never mind, I see we are in agreement
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Think of the joys of riding the NEC on Amtrak and listening to phone calls and put that into an airplane....
At least Amtrak's NEC has a quiet car.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Club Carlson, Choice, UAL, Delta, AA, Alaska
Way back in the late 90s when some DB was having a highly confidential but loud convo using his motorola startak flip phone for everyone else in Starbucks to listen to, I went up to him after the call ended and opined that I totally agreed with the startup's strategy but differed one of four points he mentioned and that he should re-consider that action item from the call. His face turned pale; think the lesson was learned. Nowadays, it seems people all over are doing face time and not using headphones, gaming with speakerphone volume on high. The demise of courtesy has been slow but shouldn't be a surprise. If someone has a VOIP call near me on a plane I will make my displeasure known.
fotographer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.