Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by TAPAL10
I also love the ones who use the speaker phone while onboard during the boarding process.
My personal favorite was the mom who felt the need to call her son's orthodontist on speakerphone during boarding. Including details of his treatment.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sitting in 4A on 2559 to Detroit today. A few minutes after the 10K chime I hear what sounds like someone behind me playing a movie without headphones. A few minutes later I realize this guy is on a voip call and on speaker nonetheless! I turn around and say “”really??” and just continues with his call. I hit the call button and I just motion with my thumb to the guy behind me to her and she has him end the call immediately.

On what planet do you live on that you wouldn’t know this isn’t allowed?
I dont know that.

I dont know what a 10k chime is either.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonsg
There have been two incidents to date where I've made detailed notes of the confidential information brayed by some self-important yahoo - and placed a call to a very senior in the company they so-loudly identified, describing the person and reciting the notes I'd made. This has been received with thanks.

I don't charge for the service.
A while back, after hearing entirely too much proprietary information in airports, I printed up little cards that said:
I CAN HEAR YOUR ENTIRE CALL.
YOU DON'T KNOW WHO I AM.
YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I WORK.
YOU DON'T KNOW WHO I KNOW.
ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT ME TO HEAR THIS CALL?
It worked like a charm, mostly. Though I wish I'd gone the extra mile like you have for the one or two who tossed it on the floor and continued sharing their business with me.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
There have been two incidents to date where I've made detailed notes of the confidential information brayed by some self-important yahoo - and placed a call to a very senior in the company they so-loudly identified, describing the person and reciting the notes I'd made. This has been received with thanks.

A little over the top, no?
TheDudeAbides and bchandler02 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Actually if you know the competitor you should make a fake call like you work for the competitor. Hi Jane, its Bill. My seatmate works for ABC and he told the entire plane they are pursuing XYC for new business so call sales immediately and get them on the phone. See if we can offer them a lower price.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I dont know that.

I dont know what a 10k chime is either.
At 10K, there is an electronic 'ding".. This is when WIFI is supposed to be available.
It is the same "chime" you hear when you are permitted to get out of your seat after landing when the plane is parked at the gate
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fotographer
No one is that important to have to make a call during flight
If its that urgent, then take a later flight
That's just silly. Who are you to judge the relative importance of either the person or the topic of the call?

Frankly, if it's done discreetly (i.e., no louder than an acceptable conversation level between two seatmates), who cares?
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT

Originally Posted by enviroian
A little over the top, no?
No. I have a friend who is in the consulting business. Many years ago (before cell phones) he was flying out to do a sales presentation to a prospective client. He was in an aisle seat. In the next row forward, in the opposite aisle seat, there was his only competitor for the business, reviewing his presentation and the terms on his laptop. My friend knew exactly what his competitor was going to propose before he went in.
MADPhil and Flapjacks like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:36 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by razzaba
I know I have seen a message about not streaming Netflix etc when logging in to GoGo on a flight, but don’t recall seeing anything about Skype/VOIP calls, etc.
It is not a message saying please do not do it. Instead, Netflx is blocked. They should so the same with calls, if possible.
Flapjacks likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Where I would I we have a strict policy of not doing client work in any public area. Fine by me I’d rather watch a movie.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No. I have a friend who is in the consulting business. Many years ago (before cell phones) he was flying out to do a sales presentation to a prospective client. He was in an aisle seat. In the next row forward, in the opposite aisle seat, there was his only competitor for the business, reviewing his presentation and the terms on his laptop. My friend knew exactly what his competitor was going to propose before he went in.
Not exactky the same. The other posters account was hearing loud details being given. Your account is of someone snooping on another's laptop screen for personal gain.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
There's a rule against using the internet on a wifi enabled flight? Which one?

Further, it's public transport, not your own personal aircraft. Don't want to hear people talking, fly private. Or do the same people here go around knocking the phones out of peoples' hands on the subway, metro, etc.?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522

Further, it's public transport, not your own personal aircraft. Don't want to hear people talking, fly private. Or do the same people here go around knocking the phones out of peoples' hands on the subway, metro, etc.?
Anyone who wants to try and have an intelligible phone call on the subway is free to have at it.
This was about excessively loud calls in otherwise reasonably quiet places.
Somewhere above someone made the correct distinction. If the conversation on the phone sounds like you're conversing with someone seated next to you, no problem. If it sounds like you're yakking at someone across the room, that's self-absorbed enough that remediation is allowed. Swatting phones, maybe not. Making the loudmouth uncomfortable enough to shut him up, probably so.
ijgordon, wrp96, Flapjacks and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by kb9522

So where do you draw the line? People playing games or watching media content on their phone without headphones, is that okay? If someone sat next you decided to whip their phone out and started just video recording you on their phone, would that be okay? Would someone seated next to you singing, or playing air drums, or belching or worse, that wouldn't bother you? You have much more patience than I do if that's the case.
Flapjacks likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:26 pm
Suspended

The inside of an a/c is a loud environment. Think when the FA needs to lean in to hear you. As a result people yell into their cell phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.