Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Admirals Club in Chicago, lawyer on speaker phone discussing client being held in Cook County jail.

Client had given police an alias. Speaker phone broadcast both alias and real name.

Too many variables to consider as I rushed by on my way to a flight, didn't act on that info.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: CK or bust
It's those FT super-posters/evangelists with 10K+ posts that really make the racket in-flight as their keys clack away responding to that non-stop FT deluge of opinions, facts, and fun stories, not the in-flight VoIP calls
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Originally Posted by enpremiere
It's those FT super-posters/evangelists with 10K+ posts that really make the racket in-flight as their keys clack away responding to that non-stop FT deluge of opinions, facts, and fun stories, not the in-flight VoIP calls
Hmmm... you're saying more mechanical keyboards need to be in-flight???
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
it wasnt that long ago we had phones on every seat of the plane.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Amil
Yes but the $10/minute cost ensured the cabin kept quiet.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Way back, Continental Airlines had some deal with Verizon Wireless. The cost was pretty affordable (it may have even just used your plan minutes, back before unlimited calling). You could even "register" yourself in your seat and calls would be forwarded from your cell phone to the in-seat phone! I received a few phone calls in-flight. (Often it was the car service dispatcher calling while we were on approach to give me the car number...)
chrisny2 and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes but the $10/minute cost ensured the cabin kept quiet.
Flying in the mid 90s I can't remember the phones being used much if it at all. IIRC they cut out very easy. Also people weren't not use to immediate communication. I can remember phone booths being fairly busy at airports.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Flying in the mid 90s I can't remember the phones being used much if it at all. IIRC they cut out very easy. Also people weren't not use to immediate communication. I can remember phone booths being fairly busy at airports.
LGA has a vendor that has a modern interpretation of a phone booth where you can pay to go into a booth to get some privacy and use your own phone.

I don't remember the name of the vendor.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
yep. Different world then--no smart phones and no one lived in a instant communication world like we do today.

I wouldn't mind having that back today.
Tim_AZ likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
I'm sure he was a very important person so the rules wouldn't apply to him.
Probably standing first in line at the gate with a group 4 boarding pass.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
LGA has a vendor that has a modern interpretation of a phone booth where you can pay to go into a booth to get some privacy and use your own phone.
I thought that was the nursing booth.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's just silly. Who are you to judge the relative importance of either the person or the topic of the call?

Frankly, if it's done discreetly (i.e., no louder than an acceptable conversation level between two seatmates), who cares?
It never seems to be done discretely. That's the problem.

Originally Posted by kb9522
There's a rule against using the internet on a wifi enabled flight? Which one?

Further, it's public transport, not your own personal aircraft. Don't want to hear people talking, fly private. Or do the same people here go around knocking the phones out of peoples' hands on the subway, metro, etc.?
That's why American's Conditions of Contract sets forth that VOIP calls are prohibited.

Cell phone calls are prohibited by the FCC and VOIP by the airline. Don't comply when the flight attendant tells you to shut it down, and they certainly will, and you can talk to the cops when you arrive for interfering with a flight crew.

No one used them. That's why they took them out.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Same problem here in HK - not on planes (cos CX is just rolling out inflight internet and it's too piss-weak to support VOIP calls), but on the ground, in the lounge and in public transportation.

I do wonder though - has Apple and some Android manufacturers deleting 3.5mm jacks have anything to do with it. I do have one close friend switch from headset to speakerphone for it.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

I do wonder though - has Apple and some Android manufacturers deleting 3.5mm jacks have anything to do with it. I do have one close friend switch from headset to speakerphone for it.
Phones have a handy little speaker at the top that goes against your ear. Only you can hear the other party and no one else around you has to. Have these people forgotten this exists and jumped straight to speakerphone?

Speaker phone being “hands-free” isn’t a good reason either, because in an airport environment you’d be holding your phone while talking on speakerphone anyway.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:17 am

Sounds annoying. Headphones would of been okay personally. That’s the things with tech it helps and annoys. I am great at tuning things out and especially human behavior lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.