DFW or LAX to LHR in December?

Old Sep 25, 18, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ual,aa
DFW or LAX to LHR in December?

4 of us flying to Basel, Switz. In mid Dec. for tour. we are flying in J and have choice of using connecting cities of DFW or LAX for flight to LHR. The DFW (1-1/4 hr. Connection time) option is on AA metal to LHR on a 777-300W and the LAX (6 hr connection time) option is an AA flight operated by BA on a 787-9 so we would have to pay additional to select seats. The basic cost of flights otherwise the same and both flights connect in LHR to the same BA flight to Basel. Plus for DFW is no additional cost for seat selection but the short but legal connection time a concern because itís winter and only 1 later flight that evening - which could be sold out in J as could the following day). The downside to LAX is the long connecting time but at least we have the lounge (BA?) and it seems navigating between terminals is time consuming but donít think we need to go outside the secure area anymore. Will appreciate any suggestions, advice on which flight has an advantage - or if BA service better than AA or one type of plane better than another. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by letsgook View Post
4 of us flying to Basel, Switz. In mid Dec. for tour. we are flying in J and have choice of using connecting cities of DFW or LAX for flight to LHR. The DFW (1-1/4 hr. Connection time) option is on AA metal to LHR on a 777-300W and the LAX (6 hr connection time) option is an AA flight operated by BA on a 787-9 so we would have to pay additional to select seats. The basic cost of flights otherwise the same and both flights connect in LHR to the same BA flight to Basel. Plus for DFW is no additional cost for seat selection but the short but legal connection time a concern because itís winter and only 1 later flight that evening - which could be sold out in J as could the following day). The downside to LAX is the long connecting time but at least we have the lounge (BA?) and it seems navigating between terminals is time consuming but donít think we need to go outside the secure area anymore. Will appreciate any suggestions, advice on which flight has an advantage - or if BA service better than AA or one type of plane better than another. Thanks!
The AA hard product (seat) is much better than the BA product. Soft product (food and service) are not particularly great on either. 6 hours is also a really long time to be stuck in an airport.

I'd definitely do the DFW connection. Although there's some increased weather risk you've both got a later flight to fall back on and generally AA will work to make things right. If the weather looks sufficiently bad in advance, AA will often let you change flights to get a better connection anyway so I wouldn't book a worse flight just as weather insurance unless there was a really compelling reason why I definitely could not deal with a delay into Basel.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
You'll probably be fine with either choice. Personally, I'd rather be on AA metal (the 77W has the best J seat in AA's fleet and is much better than anything BA offers). For service, YMMV on both. Expect indifferent service and you'll either have your expectations fulfilled or be pleasantly surprised.

Connecting through LAX does offer you the ability to use the Flagship Lounge (especially with the long layover - you'll have plenty of time to go between T4 and the TBIT).

You don't mention where you're connecting from, which could make a difference. In general, 1h15m is plenty in DFW, though, assuming your origin can check you in for the LHR flight.

One last note: depending on your status level (and maybe just for the J purchase in general), you may not have to pay to select seats on BA (and if it's an AA flight number, the AA twitter team should be able to force a seat selection for you anyway).
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:41 pm

Programs: CK or bust
4 of us flying to Basel, Switz. In mid Dec. for tour. we are flying in J and have choice of using connecting cities of DFW or LAX for flight to LHR. The DFW (1-1/4 hr. Connection time) option is on AA metal to LHR on a 777-300W and the LAX (6 hr connection time) option is an AA flight operated by BA on a 787-9 ...
Hands-down the AA hard product is better than the current BA product. Stepping over passengers and a high density business cabin isn't terribly fun.
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:41 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, AA EXP, Hertz Pres, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
You'll probably be fine with either choice. Personally, I'd rather be on AA metal (the 77W has the best J seat in AA's fleet and is much better than anything BA offers). For service, YMMV on both. Expect indifferent service and you'll either have your expectations fulfilled or be pleasantly surprised.

Connecting through LAX does offer you the ability to use the Flagship Lounge (especially with the long layover - you'll have plenty of time to go between T4 and the TBIT).

You don't mention where you're connecting from, which could make a difference. In general, 1h15m is plenty in DFW, though, assuming your origin can check you in for the LHR flight.

One last note: depending on your status level (and maybe just for the J purchase in general), you may not have to pay to select seats on BA (and if it's an AA flight number, the AA twitter team should be able to force a seat selection for you anyway).
I keep reading about this AAtwitter team is that just the normal @AA or is there a special one I'm missing. I might need them in the future. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton, Hertz
There are multiple AA flights from DFW-LHR, so you might have some backup plans in case of weather by going through DFW.
Old Sep 25, 18, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by krakendown View Post
I keep reading about this AAtwitter team is that just the normal @AA or is there a special one I'm missing. I might need them in the future. Thanks!
The AA Twitter handle is @AmericanAir. If you DM them, they generally respond quickly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: