Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA is Increasing Cost Of Alcoholic Drinks In Economy 1 Oct 2018

Old Sep 25, 18, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

According to One Mile at a Time, American Airlines is increasing the cost of alcoholic drinks in economy as of October 1, 2018. They’ll be increasing the cost of drinks by one dollar across the board, meaning that the new prices will be as follows:
  • Beer: $8
  • Wine: $9
  • Spirits: $9
American says that these price increases are being made to “help continue the investment” they’ve made in “more craft beer choices, premium liquor and new wines onboard.”
Old Sep 25, 18, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
According to One Mile at a Time, American Airlines is increasing the cost of alcoholic drinks in economy as of October 1, 2018. They’ll be increasing the cost of drinks by one dollar across the board, meaning that the new prices will be as follows:
  • Beer: $8
  • Wine: $9
  • Spirits: $9
American says that these price increases are being made to “help continue the investment” they’ve made in “more craft beer choices, premium liquor and new wines onboard.”
Maybe they are doing that to pay for the free drinks in MCE
Old Sep 25, 18, 12:01 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, AA EXP, Hertz Pres, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I was almost charged in MCE on my flight out from JFK-LAX, the FA then suddenly said her machine wasn't working. So strange not everyone knows their own policies.
Old Sep 25, 18, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by krakendown View Post
I was almost charged in MCE on my flight out from JFK-LAX, the FA then suddenly said her machine wasn't working. So strange not everyone knows their own policies.
My wife was concerned they would be out of red wine by the time they got to us in our flight from TPA-DFW yesterday
Interesting flight, I couldn't get the movie to play, but was able to access the internet without logging in an using a pass. This was my first viasat experience
The good news is I found out the internet was working as my Fire tablet had finished downloading Prime videos I had started downloading in the terminal
Old Sep 25, 18, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Talking

I think you are right. And thank god for the free drinks in MCE as now only a PLT there is where I've been spending a lot of my flying time.
GTITAN, atbPy and tenpins77 like this.
Old Sep 25, 18, 12:36 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, AA EXP, Hertz Pres, Marriott Ambassador
My wife was concerned they would be out of red wine by the time they got to us in our flight from TPA-DFW yesterday
Interesting flight, I couldn't get the movie to play, but was able to access the internet without logging in an using a pass. This was my first viasat experience
The good news is I found out the internet was working as my Fire tablet had finished downloading Prime videos I had started downloading in the terminal
I am quite happy with the switch to ViaSat. In my experiences the internet is working much faster and all through the flight. I even had it after lowering past 10k feet.
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Another excuse by AA to nickel and dime its pax while allowing its product to continue to deteriorate.

Yesterday I flew MSN-CLT. FAs ran out of ice after the first pass of beverages on a plane that wasn't even full and wasn't doing a fast turn in MSN. If you're listening AA, maybe you should provide a consistent product before you start charging more for it.
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
Another excuse by AA to nickel and dime its pax while allowing its product to continue to deteriorate.

Yesterday I flew MSN-CLT. FAs ran out of ice after the first pass of beverages on a plane that wasn't even full and wasn't doing a fast turn in MSN. If you're listening AA, maybe you should provide a consistent product before you start charging more for it.
This could have been a catering issue. I'm assuming some of this is to make up for the free drinks now given in MCE. By the way at least my experience a lot of unassigned seats which are either Group 9 or non revers up end in a MCE middle seat. Yeah its a middle seat but far better than a middle seat in row 31, plus free booze to boot. On the other hand I've been in a fairly unoccupied MCE section but the remainder of Y was packed to the gills.
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
This could have been a catering issue.
I'm sure it was a catering issue. Regardless of the issue, AA is responsible for it and I find it irritating when they keep adding costs to the pax as a part of an "enhanced experience" when they can't even figure the basics out. If AA actually treated their pax like they valued them and cared for them I could accept this, but they don't.
AANYC1981 and enviroian like this.
Old Sep 25, 18, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm sure it was a catering issue. Regardless of the issue, AA is responsible for it and I find it irritating when they keep adding costs to the pax as a part of an "enhanced experience" when they can't even figure the basics out. If AA actually treated their pax like they valued them and cared for them I could accept this, but they don't.
Meh. Happens on all carriers. Jump ship to DL or UA and on occasion there's a miscater and nobody wants to hold the aircraft.
Old Sep 25, 18, 4:28 pm

I was on a (smooth) 3 hr 45 min AA flight last week and the FAs managed just ONE food/drinks service. One.

AS flies So Cal to SEA (2 hrs 15 min) and PDX (2 hrs) and without exception gets 2 full ones in.

Heck, even WN and B6 get a drinks service in in the 50 mins from LGB to LAS, unless turbulence (albeit a limited one).

Seems if AA management wants to increase revenue, instead of raising prices, they might want to offer more frequent in-flight services. I'm no genius, but math is math.
Old Sep 25, 18, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The free drink in MCE is a nice touch for PLTs, GLDs and people willing to pony up more. At least it’s some semblance of what flying used to be.
Old Sep 25, 18, 4:43 pm

$9 bucks for a mixed drink is still very inexpensive.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Sep 25, 18, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Perhaps you should find a carrier that better meets your needs and doesn't "irritate" you. I mean, that's an option in a free market economy, right?

Regards
Old Sep 25, 18, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
$9 bucks for a mixed drink is still very inexpensive.
And there's no tip involved.
apeortdz likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: