Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA is Increasing Cost Of Alcoholic Drinks In Economy 1 Oct 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA is Increasing Cost Of Alcoholic Drinks In Economy 1 Oct 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by bchandler02
This brings up an interesting topic. I think most are aware that it's not technically illegal to bring these onto a plane, you just have to comply with TSA liquid screening/rules. It is however illegal to consume any alcohol not served to you by airline staff. In the old days, you could hand your bottle to the staff, ask them to mix it/pour it/whatever, and they "serve" it back to you - 100% legal.
How practical is this when you are limited to a very small amount of any liquid getting through security? Buying alcohol post security is typically only at duty free shops and sealed.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PHL
How practical is this when you are limited to a very small amount of any liquid getting through security? Buying alcohol post security is typically only at duty free shops and sealed.
Very practical. I can get ~8 mini's in a ziplock bag, fully TSA compliant. It'll get you through an overnight flight. TSA has never had an issue with it.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Unlike a seat or even bags you do not need a drink to fly (well yes if you are a hardcore alcoholic, but that's not AA's issue). So if AA wants to charge a premium let them. Its why beers are something like $10-$12 at a ballgame. Its still cheaper than airport bars.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Unlike a seat or even bags you do not need a drink to fly (well yes if you are a hardcore alcoholic, but that's not AA's issue). So if AA wants to charge a premium let them. Its why beers are something like $10-$12 at a ballgame. Its still cheaper than airport bars.
I agree. The alcohol on planes has to pass through a lot of hands before it gets to a passenger. They can charge as much as they feel the market will allow. Most here get free drinks anyway so it's just one more nonsensical thing to ..... about.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
If you pay for a drink on an airplane, you're doing something wrong.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Very practical. I can get ~8 mini's in a ziplock bag, fully TSA compliant. It'll get you through an overnight flight. TSA has never had an issue with it.
Fill those minis with Bacardi 151, and you get twice the bang for your buck
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Fill those minis with Bacardi 151, and you get twice the bang for your buck
It's not about the strength of the alcohol for me, it's about the quality. The point of taking my own was to enjoy a drink that AA doesn't offer, not get drunk.
fotographer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
If I remember correctly, I believe JetBlue will usually serve you your own alcohol to you as a matter of policy.

https://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BI...ase=obj(382307)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I flew American in F PHX to DEN and return and was not even offered PDB. This airline seems cheap and I am not surprised they are raising prices. More reasons to stick to Delta and PMUA which offer better service. I havent been charged in PMUA coach for alcohol for my last 10 flights. AA has always charged and even in F given awful service. Hope they improve the wine with the price increase!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.