Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread was for discussion of the switchover from Bose QC15 to B&O H9i noise reduction headsets on select AA longhaul flights in First and Business classes.

As these B&O headsets have been moved out through the fleet, there’s a new thread for further discussion, etc. relating to the B&O H9i “Beoplay” corded headset here: Bang & Olufsen H9i NR Headset Discussion, Issues (master thread)[

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Update. The Bose were in the armrest cubby (on the Super Diamond seat). I’m sure not many people are finding them. Odd placement pre-departure, and I’ve never had it there before.

Originally Posted by econometrics
On AA78, just boarded. No Bose OR B&O at the seats... 🤔🤦🏻.♂️

Probably going to see the Bose handout coming down the aisle shortly...
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:10 pm

Had Bose on DFW-EZE last night w/ Zodiac seats. Used my personal Sony WH-H900Ns though
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
I prefer the "bring your own". The Bose QC20 work well for me. The small size is a huge benefit. The over the ear options result in an uncomfortable pressure. Travel with an adapter.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So none of these new headsets have down their way into international long haul flights, yet when is this to happen?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'll just continue to use my Etymotic ear buds, much more comfortable on long flights.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Still had the Bose headsets on my 3/18 MIA-EZE and 4/1 EZE-MIA flights.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Delta's are terrible. I had to take them off after 5 minutes, my ears were getting sweaty. That said, I almost exclusively use my Shure in-ears, they're so much less obtrusive and block out the noise at least as well.
Agreed! The only thing I did not like about Delta's One service to Asia. Had by Bose packed but did not have 2 prong adaptor in the case. Man did I miss my Bose!
Might be an opportunity for Bose to cozy up w/ DL??

Last edited by Wingtipflyer1; Apr 22, 2019 at 11:26 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cedric
Per this link, Bose is exiting the aviation market. This explains the choice of a new supplier.
Originally Posted by econometrics
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
Agreed! The only thing I did not like about Delta's One service to Asia. Has by Bose packed but did not have 2 prong adaptor in the case. Man did I miss my Bose!
Might be an opportunity for Bose to cozy up w/ DL??
Think not
econometrics likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
New Bang & Olufsen Headsets sort of suck

Just got a pair of these new Bang&Olufsen Headsets on my 321T lax-bos in F. The Fa still referred to them as boses, and I really wish they were.

First these have an on/off button. But after turning them on, any rubbing of the headset against my pillow results in really annoying high pitch noises. They were so bad I had turn the headphones to off, which disables the noise cancelling. Did anyone at AA test these things?!

Anyone else had to deal with these?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by no2chem
Just got a pair of these new Bang&Olufsen Headsets on my 321T lax-bos in F. The Fa still referred to them as boses, and I really wish they were.

First these have an on/off button. But after turning them on, any rubbing of the headset against my pillow results in really annoying high pitch noises. They were so bad I had turn the headphones to off, which disables the noise cancelling. Did anyone at AA test these things?!

Anyone else had to deal with these?
honestly this should qualify as a perfect post for the least substantive complaint thread. most headsets you actually buy will have the on/off button and cause this problem. i'm just happy that AA and other airlines provide these headsets and am fine with the choice.
enviroian and DCAstudent like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
honestly this should qualify as a perfect post for the least substantive complaint thread. most headsets you actually buy will have the on/off button and cause this problem. i'm just happy that AA and other airlines provide these headsets and am fine with the choice.
Disagree, this is a serious complaint if you've ever used these headphones. The high pitch scratching is almost unbearable. Not acceptable considering how much a F ticket costs and "turn off the headphones" isn't really a remedy.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Disagree, this is a serious complaint if you've ever used these headphones. The high pitch scratching is almost unbearable. Not acceptable considering how much a F ticket costs and "turn off the headphones" isn't really a remedy.
The headphones sold you on splurging for the F ticket? I try to rely on the airline for getting me and my bag from A to B. I bring my own headphones (actually three). I being my own entertainment. I bring my own food. I try to keep the surprises and impending disappointment to the minimums.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The headphones sold you on splurging for the F ticket? I try to rely on the airline for getting me and my bag from A to B. I bring my own headphones (actually three). I being my own entertainment. I bring my own food. I try to keep the surprises and impending disappointment to the minimums.
Uh, great for you, but when the headphone is an advertised part of the product, it's a problem if they're almost not usable in the seat that they're sold with.

and I guess along with those 3 headphones you brought the 3 prong adapter several people in this thread complained they forgot?!

Seriously, the last 2 posts were basically saying "you should expect 0 from AA any any complaints are for whiners whining about insubstantial things. If the airline got you from A to B and didn't crash you should be happy". This crAApy attitude is what has AA and all the other US airlines at the bottom in the first place...

​​​​​
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Uh, great for you, but when the headphone is an advertised part of the product, it's a problem if they're almost not usable in the seat that they're sold with.

and I guess along with those 3 headphones you brought the 3 prong adapter several people in this thread complained they forgot?!

Seriously, the last 2 posts were basically saying "you should expect 0 from AA any any complaints are for whiners whining about insubstantial things. If the airline got you from A to B and didn't crash you should be happy". This crAApy attitude is what has AA and all the other US airlines at the bottom in the first place...

​​​​​
I use a portable Bluetooth adapter that enables me to plug my Bose into any IFE I've encountered. When I'm sleeping or resting my wee head on a pillow I use my in ear Bluetooths. WHen I want to sit in first class and look like a serious influencer I whip out my Apple buds.

What I'm saying is a lot of these flights have a few hundred people that turnover a few times a day. These planes won't get a complete scrub down and quality control check very often. That costs money. My expectations are that I will encounter broken equipment, dirty tray tables, and untidy seat back pockets. Again, I expect to get from point A to point B in a safe manner. I'd rather they check the fans blades in the engines then ensure every headphone works while being used in every position in the kama sutra.

I'm currently staying in a hotel in Manhattan that advertises valet parking. They, in fact, have no parking and the desk apologized saying he doesn't know why it's on the web site. It wasn't the end of the world.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I use a portable Bluetooth adapter that enables me to plug my Bose into any IFE I've encountered. When I'm sleeping or resting my wee head on a pillow I use my in ear Bluetooths. WHen I want to sit in first class and look like a serious influencer I whip out my Apple buds.

What I'm saying is a lot of these flights have a few hundred people that turnover a few times a day. These planes won't get a complete scrub down and quality control check very often. That costs money. My expectations are that I will encounter broken equipment, dirty tray tables, and untidy seat back pockets. Again, I expect to get from point A to point B in a safe manner. I'd rather they check the fans blades in the engines then ensure every headphone works while being used in every position in the kama sutra.

I'm currently staying in a hotel in Manhattan that advertises valet parking. They, in fact, have no parking and the desk apologized saying he doesn't know why it's on the web site. It wasn't the end of the world.
In case you missed it, these are brand new headsets put in service less than a month ago. Before switching headset providers, someone probably should have tested them first. This is very different from "routine maintenance".

And, wow, the complaint that I'm a "first class whiner" is surprising. Im sure many have not even used this headset, and it's probably the same headset used in business too. If you never used this headset how would you know how painful the scratching sound is? ITS quite painful (at least to my ears, and they're not that sensitive)

Last edited by no2chem; Apr 14, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.