Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread was for discussion of the switchover from Bose QC15 to B&O H9i noise reduction headsets on select AA longhaul flights in First and Business classes.

As these B&O headsets have been moved out through the fleet, there’s a new thread for further discussion, etc. relating to the B&O H9i “Beoplay” corded headset here: Bang & Olufsen H9i NR Headset Discussion, Issues (master thread)[

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer
Spotted this in LAX tonight between TBIT and T4. B&O headphones and stemmed wine glass?
Interesting. So are they going to wireless, or wired, or is cord in picture power only?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
B&O = a good way to make sure they "lose" fewer of them.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer
Spotted this in LAX tonight between TBIT and T4. B&O headphones and stemmed wine glass?
OT, but I hope not on the stems. Straight up PITA in turbulence - QR has these long stemmed Champagne glasses that are significantly less stable that I would like them to be.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
This makes sense. What's surprising is that these B&O H9i headphones are 1) wireless, and 2) $499 retail everywhere. They will be watching these like hawks ;-)

According to their own website, they can support up-to 18 hours of play time, but I wonder if that is with the noise canceling feature turned on. Let's hope so for the DFW-HKG flight!
Actually, #1 is not entirely correct. I own the H9i headphones and yes, they have Bluetooth. They also have a 1/8" port and can operate wired.

Wirelessly, they sound decent. Better than most Bluetoooth headsets, light years better than Bose or the crap that is Beats BUT I think Bowers & Wilkins PX sound slightly better. Then again, Bluetooth has such low bandwidth, you're always going to get garbage. The trick is in how each of these companies "enhance" the very audio stream to make it bearable. But I digress...

As a WIRED headset, the H9i are quite faithful to the source audio. Pair them with a good DAC and you have great sound. Also, the noise canceling can operate while they are plugged in. And the noise canceling is quite good. I'd argue that it's on par with Bose noise canceling.

Most important, though... they are COMFORTABLE. Seriously, they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. Better than Bose, way better than Bowers & Wilkins, no sweaty ears like Beats, and better for extended wear than Sony (who also makes a very solid product). Surprisingly, Plantronics makes a very comfortable around-the-ear Bluetooth headset with decent noise canceling--the PLT-82000 Unfortunately, Plantronics' headsets are more tuned towards spoken word/telephone calls than they are to music. I have a plane adapter and I bring my H9is with me on any flight of over 3 hours (under 3 and I prefer the E8s due to portability. I've never really benchmarked their battery life, but the H9is easily lasted me a DFW-LHR recently with noise canceling on the whole time.

I could easily see a small modification that makes the audio cable permanent... and possibly passes power from the power pin to the headset. You could use the wired audio for IFE OR be able to Bluetooth to your own phone or tablet. (Which makes sense with the 767s that are sans-IFE.)

Bottom line, great move from an audio perspective. I just hope they don't cheap out and do something half-assed. Oh, wait... Dougie's in charge.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I can't believe B&O is aligning themselves with AA. Cheapens their brand IMO.
Austin787 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Anyone had the B&O headsets yet?

I have a couple TATL/TPAC soon... wondering if I’ll see them on board yet.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Well Red

As a WIRED headset, the H9i are quite faithful to the source audio. Pair them with a good DAC and you have great sound. Also, the noise canceling can operate while they are plugged in. And the noise canceling is quite good. I'd argue that it's on par with Bose noise canceling.

Please don't tell you can still purchase DAC ?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econometrics
Anyone had the B&O headsets yet?

I have a couple TATL/TPAC soon... wondering if I’ll see them on board yet.
Nope. Flew NRT-DFW and SFO-JFK and JFK-SFO in the last 2 weeks and no B&O. All 3 flights had the QC15 bose headsets (and not the newer QC25s)
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know when they do switch over, what they plan to do with the Bose units?

I'd love to buy one of the QC25s with the logo on the side. Got a small collection of cool airline stuff.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Please don't tell you can still purchase DAC ?
Since almost all audio is digital these days, unless you've got some sort of cybernetic implant there's a DAC somewhere along the way to turns the 1s and 0s into noise.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:27 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Antarius
Nope. Flew NRT-DFW and SFO-JFK and JFK-SFO in the last 2 weeks and no B&O. All 3 flights had the QC15 bose headsets (and not the newer QC25s)

flew LAX-HKG-LAX earlier this week and same old bose in j.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
Since almost all audio is digital these days, unless you've got some sort of cybernetic implant there's a DAC somewhere along the way to turns the 1s and 0s into noise.
I'm assuming the OP was talking about Digital Audio Cassettes DAC? Something that Panasonic and Sony brought to market for home use and car audio in late 80's to early 90's.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I'm assuming the OP was talking about Digital Audio Cassettes DAC? Something that Panasonic and Sony brought to market for home use and car audio in late 80's to early 90's.
Those are called DAT, Digital Audio Tape, not DAC.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On AA 2215 (JFK-SFO) and have the new B&O headphones.

First time seeing these.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
On AA 2215 (JFK-SFO) and have the new B&O headphones.

First time seeing these.
Yeah, I just ran into them on JFK->LAX this morning as well. Connected to a flight to Japan immediately afterwards that still had the Bose headsets so got to do back-to-back listening.

The models on the planes are hardwired with three prong plugs just like the AA versions of the Bose headsets. Overall, I think both the noise cancelling (a strength of the Bose headsets) and sound quality are a bit better than Bose. The B&Os are a bit heavier and bulkier than the Bose, but quite comfortable to have on the ears for several hours.

Certainly doesn't seem like a downgrade in experience and possibly an upgrade. Having said that, I have B&O earbuds that I really like, so maybe I'm inclined to their general "sound" versus Bose.
Antarius likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.