Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel to Jordan and Israel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President Circle
Post Award Travel to Jordan and Israel

Hello,

I recently booked an open-jaw AA partner award ticket from US-DOH-AMM and TLV-AMM-DOH-US. AA customer service just contacted me informing this routing is outlawed due to Arab nations and Israel relationships and had to remove the TLV segment from my original flight to make this a valid ticket. I was planning to use the King Hussein bridge from Jordan to get into Israel, but I didn't think flying back from TLV would be an issue. Has anyone done this kind of routing between Jordan and Israel before and can advise me on this? Is the only way to/from Israel by land? or can I book a separate flight between TLV and AMM?

Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I don't have the answer but am curious to see what others say as I have the same outbound as you except I also have AMM-TLV. Have not heard anything about it being a problem. Perhaps because it's one way or because I fly to TLV. Either way curious to know.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have flown into AMM and out of TLV 2 times on RJ, but on purchased fares. Not sure if QR has different rules.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:10 pm
Suspended

I'll PM ya @travel214
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:56 pm

You can do it on RJ. I’ve flown ORD-AMM-TLV and returned TLV-AMM-ORD on RJ a couple times, once paid and once an award. Don’t know about QR.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Greg76248
You can do it on RJ. I’ve flown ORD-AMM-TLV and returned TLV-AMM-ORD on RJ a couple times, once paid and once an award. Don’t know about QR.
This has to do with an AAdvantage restriction on open jaw travel when TLV and Arab League Countries are involved, your example is not open jaw.
Beltway2A and JDiver like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
This has to do with an AAdvantage restriction on open jaw travel when TLV and Arab League Countries are involved, your example is not open jaw.
Good to know for future reference.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Interested in keeping track of this restriction as well. A couple of years ago 5 of us traveled - I am working backwards.. . return award to the states was a separate record on Eitihad from AUH-ORD. We also flew TLV-AMM-DUB on separate ticket- all in a single interesting day, with various routings to TLV through Europe and AMM .. I dont think this was really open jaw - since we had tickets in and out of TLV, but we did not have any issues with ticketing. johnnyc can you be any more specific on the restriction.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I had an award travel agent who is an FTer get me on BA from the US to TLV. in Biz class. I am on a tour which has an extension in Jordan and will fly from AMM back to the US on Emirates in F. You may need to get assistance from a TA.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don’t see what the issue is here. No idea what your US gateway is, but QR publishes a TLV-JFK fare using this exact routing.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Flight Routing

Maybe buy a one way TLV-AMM ticket with BA points? I don't know if possible, but could be 4,500 miles.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The issue isn't TLV-AMM as such, it's the fact that you're trying to do it on the same ticket as DOH which isn't allowed.

Basically any trip that touches both Israel and many of the Arabic middle-eastern countries will need to be booked as separate tickets, including Qatar (DOH), Dubai, Saudi, Oman, etc.

If you can avoid DOH in both directions then you'll be fine to keep TLV-AMM.

If planning to cross by land in either direction be cautious about getting a stamp in your passport from either side, as it can make travelling to/through some Arab countries more difficult in the future. Israel will generally not stamp passports at all now (you may have to ask at land border crossings - it's done automatically at airports). Jordan will normally stamp ​​​​​by default at the land border crossings, but will generally not do so if you ask. (Having a Jordanian stamp with the crossing name on it shows that you entered Israel, so can cause the same issues as having an Israel stamp).

Originally Posted by freakflyer
Maybe buy a one way TLV-AMM ticket with BA points? I don't know if possible, but could be 4,500 miles.
I've never seen economy available on that route, but business class is readily available. 9,000 Avios points for a 67 mile flight...
infinite97 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
Just did TLV-AMM-ORD-BOS on RJ in June with no issues!

PM me if you need any specific info about Jordan/Israel.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:25 am

Travel124. the UAE/Qatar sanctions add extra layers of problems when travelling in the Middle East. I had to get round a similar issue several months ago. You can fly between Amman and Tel Aviv using Royal Jordanian. It is a very short flight - around 50 minutes, if memory serves me correctly. RJ even had a 787 Dreamliner option on the timetable for the flight I booked. I used Avios last time and I think it cost about 9000 points plus charges for business class. Crossing using the King Hussein (Allenby Bridge) is more chaotic (depending on time of day and other factors) than the border at Wadi Araba.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:06 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by kszary
Just did TLV-AMM-ORD-BOS on RJ in June with no issues!
This is not the OP's issue. The problem is not Jordan, but Qatar (the countries, not the airlines).
AnaTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.