Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel to Jordan and Israel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Can you separate your ticket?

You can't have QR segments w/ TLV in one ticket.

TLV-AMM flight is one of the biggest rip-offs that's around. $600+ for a 40 min flight.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
I don’t see what the issue is here. No idea what your US gateway is, but QR publishes a TLV-JFK fare using this exact routing.
Originally Posted by samwise6222
So who is right?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President Circle
Thank you all for your feedbacks and suggestions. I was not able to find RJ award availability between US and Amman for my date of travel, that’s why I am routing through Qatar (that and I wanted to fly Q suite.. haha). I didn’t think about the Qatar/UAE restrictions since it is not a stopover just connection. I will call AA later tonight to find out a little more about the open jaw restrictions JonNYC mentioned and report back. Stay tuned...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I know there was an OJ restriction on the LAA program regarding Israel and Arab League Member states. No idea if this rule is still in effect, but it wouldn't affect an OJ between TLV and AMM regardless.

Specifically:
A person may not open jaw between Israel and any Arab League country except Jordan and Egypt.
Presumably, this exception exists because Jordan and Egypt are the only Arab League Member states that have scheduled air service to/from Israel.

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
So who is right?
As I stated, QR publishes a JFK-TLV (and v.v.) fare (both as RT and OW in both directions). It's a valid fare and can be booked via OTA (I checked), so it should be bookable per AA rules. Unless there's some obscure unpublished rule against this, I really don't see what the problem is.

Says who? QR may not sell you this ticket via their website (TLV isn't an option), but it's a valid publicly filed fare that can be purchased from Priceline, Expedia, etc. EK and SV are a different story.

Last edited by swingaling; Sep 24, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:24 pm

I know there was an OJ restriction on the LAA program regarding Israel and Arab League Member states. No idea if this rule is still in effect, but it wouldn't affect an OJ between TLV and AMM regardless.

Specifically:
A person may not open jaw between Israel and any Arab League country except Jordan and Egypt.
Presumably, this exception exists because Jordan and Egypt are the only Arab League Member states that have scheduled air service to/from Israel.
(a) Where is the quote about open jaws from? (JonNYC also refers to open jaws, but isn't sharing any details.)

(b) As you said, the OP is going into AMM and returning from TLV so the rule does not apply to the OP. Open jaws could be a problem if land or air travel to close the loop isn't possible, such as BEY and TLV; but it isn't a problem here.

(Actually even BEY-TLV is possible via AMM, CAI, LCA, IST, etc on 2 separate tickets; but I can see the point of the rule in that case. Like you, I don't understand how the rule applies to the OP.)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

Says who? QR may not sell you this ticket via their website (TLV isn't an option), but it's a valid publicly filed fare that can be purchased from Priceline, Expedia, etc. EK and SV are a different story.

Said AA agent earlier this year when I was trying to construct an award trip to ME.

I ended up having one ticket to TLV - and another out of AMM.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:40 pm

As said, this has nothing to do with TLV or AMM and everything to do with Qatar. Jordan and Israel have diplomatic relations. A peace treaty was signed years ago. If you look on a trip advisor Israel forum you will see many travelers go through one country enroute to the other, ( or do a land crossing with a ticket showing home country to TLV and than Amm to home country ( or reverse)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
This is not the OP's issue. The problem is not Jordan, but Qatar (the countries, not the airlines).
Actually my intention was to give him an alternate way of getting back to the states via Oneworld awards. So, yes, I do think it's still relevant.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
(a) Where is the quote about open jaws from? (JonNYC also refers to open jaws, but isn't sharing any details.)
Found it in some of the deprecated LAA award threads. Section 4 on the following page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18267662-post1.html

Originally Posted by awayIgo
As said, this has nothing to do with TLV or AMM and everything to do with Qatar. Jordan and Israel have diplomatic relations. A peace treaty was signed years ago. If you look on a trip advisor Israel forum you will see many travelers go through one country enroute to the other, ( or do a land crossing with a ticket showing home country to TLV and than Amm to home country ( or reverse)
Understood, but the fact remains that QR sells tickets for travel to/from TLV despite the fact that they have no diplomatic relations with Israel. The TLV-XXX (or v.v.) segment is operated by other carriers (RJ via AMM, A3 via ATH, PC via IST, etc) of course. By comparison, SV and EK do not sell such tickets.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

a -slightly- more recent version (but still several years old, and 90%+ chance it predates QR joining OneWorld)-- which still wouldn't seem to apply to the OP's itin (and yet seems to be what's being invoked, best I can tell) is this.

I've requested the current "AAD ISRAEL" to see what it says:
Attached Images  
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
This is not the OP's issue. The problem is not Jordan, but Qatar (the countries, not the airlines).
Can you separate your ticket?

You can't have QR segments w/ TLV in one ticket...
Originally Posted by docbert
The issue isn't TLV-AMM as such, it's the fact that you're trying to do it on the same ticket as DOH which isn't allowed.

Basically any trip that touches both Israel and many of the Arabic middle-eastern countries will need to be booked as separate tickets, including Qatar (DOH), Dubai, Saudi, Oman, etc...
Originally Posted by awayIgo
As said, this has nothing to do with TLV or AMM and everything to do with Qatar..
O.K., I think I'm coming around to seeing that the above posters are on the right track and the AAdv rule I -thought- might have been updated, was slightly and still isn't the culprit.

(these are 2 different rules below)
Attached Images   
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President Circle
I just confirmed with AA that indeed it’s the routing through Qatar that is the issue and nothing to do with OJ as I was originally told. The list that JonNYC posted is still up to date. I would need book a separate ticket between Amman and TLV or OW so I am not backtracking to/from TLV before I head back to US. As many of you also pointed out, I’ll need to be careful with not getting stamped by Israel at the border before my return trip to US otherwise connecting through DOH might become an issue (will it?)

thanks everyone for your inputs.. it was certainly educational
JonNYC and samwise6222 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by travel214
I just confirmed with AA that indeed it’s the routing through Qatar that is the issue and nothing to do with OJ as I was originally told. The list that JonNYC posted is still up to date. I would need book a separate ticket between Amman and TLV or OW so I am not backtracking to/from TLV before I head back to US. As many of you also pointed out, I’ll need to be careful with not getting stamped by Israel at the border before my return trip to US otherwise connecting through DOH might become an issue (will it?)

thanks everyone for your inputs.. it was certainly educational
It's easy to get around if you know the rules.

Plus, if you have Avios, TLV-AMM flights are one of the best value flights out there

4,500 Avios for a flight that could easily be $450++
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Yeah I think MR exchange to Avios has 40% transfer bonus, so I can definitely do that. Thank you!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by travel214
Hello,

I recently booked an open-jaw AA partner award ticket from US-DOH-AMM and TLV-AMM-DOH-US. AA customer service just contacted me informing this routing is outlawed due to Arab nations and Israel relationships and had to remove the TLV segment from my original flight to make this a valid ticket. I was planning to use the King Hussein bridge from Jordan to get into Israel, but I didn't think flying back from TLV would be an issue. Has anyone done this kind of routing between Jordan and Israel before and can advise me on this? Is the only way to/from Israel by land? or can I book a separate flight between TLV and AMM?

Thanks!
I have flown an award from the US to LHR-AMM-TLV (forgot which US city was involved, possibly ORD) in 2014. I don't know if there have been any changes regarding this
I remember AMM being the only airline lounge I had been to that charged to take a shower ($15, at the time, I think)
My passport has never been stamped by Israel, and I have never asked them not to. They generally give you a small paper stating it is a B1/B2 with your photo, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.