Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Platinum status promo (via physical mail)

Complimentary Platinum status promo (via physical mail)

Old Sep 20, 18, 4:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,730
Complimentary Platinum status promo (via physical mail)

I just received (and immediately registered for) free Platinum status through Jan 6 with status-challenge like conditions to extend, or "upgrade" to Platinum Pro. 20x 500-mile upgrades to boot. I received it in via physical mail.

I was EXP for 2-3 years, then dropped to Gold, then nothing since February.

Anyone else?

Edit: I guess I should add: 12,500 EQM+$1500 EQD to extend through January 2020; 20,000 EQM+$2400 EQD to get Platinum Pro through January 2020
krakendown likes this.
djibouti is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 7:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BUR
Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 1,381
Got this in today's snail mail too, except for Gold status. As I've already re-qualified for DL Silver (equivalent to AA Gold) for next year and am based in LA which is served roughly equally by both, I won't be using this. It's the same as any 3 month challenge when you call but this offer means they won't charge you for it (it was $200 when I did a challenge for Plat a few years ago). What they won't tell you is upgrade priority is based on customer spend so those who got a comped status will be near the bottom of the upgrade list in relation to others with the same status, that is unless you spend like crazy during the 3 month comped period.
Oakshadow is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:34 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,730
I briefly toyed with the idea of trying to qualify for Platinum Pro, then decided I'll just stick with WN Companion Pass next year.

So, thanks for the free MCE on my trip to Texas, AA. But you're still no longer compelling.
djibouti is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:16 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,036
I received the same Platinum offer yesterday. Haven't flown AA in a couple of years, but was Gold for a year once a long time ago. It seems I get these AA offers once every 3-4 years .

EDIT: I was wrong, apparently I flew to MDT on AA earlier this year.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Sep 21, 18 at 7:43 am
gobluetwo is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 2:47 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 225
I wonder what influences their selections. This is the third wave of complimentary status upgrades I've noticed, and I've not been selected ever (since 2013).
milesforhire is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 3:07 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Posts: 1,112
Originally Posted by milesforhire View Post
I wonder what influences their selections. This is the third wave of complimentary status upgrades I've noticed, and I've not been selected ever (since 2013).
Third wave since '13? Or third wave in last few months?

These things are reported often, every year.
reeg2 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 8:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by djibouti View Post
I just received (and immediately registered for) free Platinum status through Jan 6 with status-challenge like conditions to extend, or "upgrade" to Platinum Pro. 20x 500-mile upgrades to boot. I received it in via physical mail.

I was EXP for 2-3 years, then dropped to Gold, then nothing since February.

Anyone else?

Edit: I guess I should add: 12,500 EQM+$1500 EQD to extend through January 2020; 20,000 EQM+$2400 EQD to get Platinum Pro through January 2020
If Platinum were n-1 away from EXP, then it would be worth it, but having to clear the Platinum Pro hurdle makes it significantly less tempting.

Southwest (of all airlines) is doing status matching to A-Lsit now. That's a HUGE deal. It's an even bigger deal for me given that I will probably lose my EXP status this year.
carlosnunez.dfw is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 7:40 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 225
Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
Third wave since '13? Or third wave in last few months?

These things are reported often, every year.
Third wave that I've been paying attention for haha. But yes they do send these incredibly often - but I have no idea how to increase my chances.
milesforhire is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 8:13 am
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
A smart marketing effort targeted to people who likely had and may have a high enough spend to make it worth seeing if the business can be won back with the offer. It does not cost AA anything, but it can be a source of frustration at this time of year as people make status and those who will drop off still hold status. A Gold or even a Plat (in the case of PlatPro), one is now further down the food chain.
Often1 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 8:32 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,548
Originally Posted by milesforhire View Post
Third wave that I've been paying attention for haha. But yes they do send these incredibly often - but I have no idea how to increase my chances.
Fly a lot, earn EXP status for a few years, then stop flying except for an occasional trip on AA
milesforhire likes this.
mvoight is online now  
Old Sep 27, 18, 7:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Posts: 1,422
I got this offer for platinum as well, with no upgrade offer to platinum pr. Was EXP in 2017. Have no desire to go back to AA because I had some pretty awful experiences with AA in 2017, and am happy with Delta, but I gladly took their offer of the 20 e-500s. I may do the 12.5k EQMs since I can't make diamond with Delta this year and should be able to make it next year without any carryover.
jetsfan92588 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:10 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
Got this in today's snail mail too, except for Gold status. As I've already re-qualified for DL Silver (equivalent to AA Gold) for next year and am based in LA which is served roughly equally by both, I won't be using this. It's the same as any 3 month challenge when you call but this offer means they won't charge you for it (it was $200 when I did a challenge for Plat a few years ago). What they won't tell you is upgrade priority is based on customer spend so those who got a comped status will be near the bottom of the upgrade list in relation to others with the same status, that is unless you spend like crazy during the 3 month comped period.
Yup.. I'm dealing with that now and 0/11 on upgrades.

Platnium used to be worth something...
tenpins77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: