Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Haven’t left the gate at a major AA hub after being on the ground for an hour after boarding, blamed ground crew, is there a workage slow down?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Why the mystery? What hub?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are all sorts of reasons for a delayed departure that are far more likely than industrial action
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where are you, where are you headed and what is your flight number?

With that information, somebody here might have some useful information for you.

Understand the reluctance if this is Area 51, but that really isn't a hub.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Often1
Where are you, where are you headed and what is your flight number?

With that information, somebody here might have some useful information for you.

Understand the reluctance if this is Area 51, but that really isn't a hub.
AA can’t get you there. Fly “JANET” from LAS, no FFP I’m aware of... but it’s a very exclusive clientele.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
There was a ground stop at Area 51 yesterday, due to an issue with an interstellar 747 not being able to get it's flux capacitor to work properly. The flight was delayed almost 11 hours, but once fixed, the aliens lined up respectfully, and didn't crowd the gate. Pre-board was available for aliens with small aliens, and aliens in uniform and serving under General Grievous. Aliens on this particular flight were able to sample the new catering menu, by Jabba the Hutt, who is now a celebrity chef on Alpha Centauri. No word on if pre departure drinks were served prior to take-off. Most passengers commented on how much better security and check-in was, now that Supreme Leader Snoke is running it. Rumor is that Boba Fett is now a gate agent, and will slap you silly if you ask about an upgrade.

(And yes, I have a bit too much time on my hands, as the van takes me to SAN for day 2 of a three day)
wrp96 and AA100k like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:49 am

Another data point... I flew out of an AA hub yesterday and my flight left 3 minutes ahead of schedule and arrived 18 minutes early!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

So this is what happens when your phone dies. Multiple mainline AA flights yesterday at DFW could not get maintenance crews within an hour of requesting them at around 4pm. I was listening to the ground maintenance and operations frequencies and it seemed like there were plenty of people but no one was responding. Does anyone know if there is a contract being re-negotiated?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
This has been ongoing since the spring. YES there is a work slowdown to delay jets going on. It's all based on the maintenance contract. I've been impacted a ton by it. Usually, they have at least been nice enough to delay flights where I'm headed to my final destination and not flights where I'm connecting onward. My guess is that's intentional (they aren't slowing down hub to hub or spoke to hub flights).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#29678b613cdb

Originally Posted by Crisphoarder
So this is what happens when your phone dies. Multiple mainline AA flights yesterday at DFW could not get maintenance crews within an hour of requesting them at around 4pm. I was listening to the ground maintenance and operations frequencies and it seemed like there were plenty of people but no one was responding. Does anyone know if there is a contract being re-negotiated?
JDiver and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Explains a lot. I did get to finish a report and Mr. Robot Season 3 .
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA can’t get you there. Fly “JANET” from LAS, no FFP I’m aware of... but it’s a very exclusive clientele.
Of course there is an FFP. You simply don't have the clearance or the passwords to access it.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by JDiver
Does JANET provide a PDB? If they don't, I'm going to have to demand compensation.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What airport does JANET fly out of? RNO?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
This has been ongoing since the spring. YES there is a work slowdown to delay jets going on. It's all based on the maintenance contract. I've been impacted a ton by it. Usually, they have at least been nice enough to delay flights where I'm headed to my final destination and not flights where I'm connecting onward. My guess is that's intentional (they aren't slowing down hub to hub or spoke to hub flights).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#29678b613cdb
no wonder my first flight of the day LGA-DFW was so delayed.....great way to start a vacation stressing about your connection 🙄
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This has actually been going on for some time. I’ve experienced:

● Delays in mechanics / engineers responding to maintenance calls

● AWP (awaiting requested parts) delays

● Delayed return of cockpit log book after maintenance is completed

This and weather IROPS have made me book longer connections.
AANYC1981 and enpremiere like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 22, 2018 at 9:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.