Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Status Boarding Group 5 on BP?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Amex Plat
Gold Status Boarding Group 5 on BP?

I just recently made AAdvantage Gold status and was surprised when I checked in for a flight scheduled for tomorrow that I am boarding with Group 5. I am an AAdvantage credit card holder, so I board with Group 5 regardless. I would have thought that qualifying for Gold elite status would allow me Priority boarding in Group 4?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dkauf
I just recently made AAdvantage Gold status and was surprised when I checked in for a flight scheduled for tomorrow that I am boarding with Group 5. I am an AAdvantage credit card holder, so I board with Group 5 regardless. I would have thought that qualifying for Gold elite status would allow me Priority boarding in Group 4?
At times there is a lag time in reservations catching up with new status. Can you now pick MCE pre 24 hours? You can always call AA and have them "refresh" any of your upcoming trips.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
At times there is a lag time in reservations catching up with new status. Can you now pick MCE pre 24 hours? You can always call AA and have them "refresh" any of your upcoming trips.
I could select "preferred" seats free of charge prior to 24 hours before departure. At check-in I was able to select MCE free of charge
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I could select "preferred" seats free of charge prior to 24 hours before departure. At check-in I was able to select MCE free of charge
Sorry that's what I mean't. Then your reservations should reflect GLD status. IIRC someone on FT not too long ago had the same issue. The poster even tried to have a check in agent reprint the BP.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Sorry that's what I mean't. Then your reservations should reflect GLD status. IIRC someone on FT not too long ago had the same issue. The poster even tried to have a check in agent reprint the BP.
Thanks, I will give CS a call and see if they can fix. Should be Group 4, correct?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Thanks, I will give CS a call and see if they can fix. Should be Group 4, correct?
Yes. GLD is 4
dkauf likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This question just came up a few weeks ago, you may want to check this thread:
AA Gold Status - Boarding Pass still giving me group 6?
dkauf likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The difference between Group 5 and Group 4 boarding isn't going to worth your time on a phone call to AA.
Often1, brewdog11 and wolfie52 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Just walk on the plane with group 4. Not like the GA will check your group #. If they do, you've found the 0.01% of GA that follow process.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by dc9703
Just walk on the plane with group 4. Not like the GA will check your group #. If they do, you've found the 0.01% of GA that follow process.
Yeah, this is what I would do. Have your AAdvantage card in hand, printed, or on your phone and if questioned just say there must be a mistake as I'm gold which boards with group 4 and show the card. I'd say less than .01% would care.

These days with mobile boarding passes pretty much anyone could board whenever they want and I bet the GA wouldn't know/care. As far as I'm aware it just shows your seat when scanning the boarding pass and not the group #. Even if it did show the group number I suspect once scanned it wouldn't be worth the trouble to make the person wait.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The difference between Group 5 and Group 4 boarding isn't going to worth your time on a phone call to AA.
Unless you have carry on luggage and will like a chance to place it on the bin.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Or the horror of the walk of shame through the steerage line. If it were 6-7 or 7-8, I would scream because it means no OH, but I do have to say that AA is doing a better job of people scamming the carry-on rules these days, esp. in the early BG's.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Yeah, this is what I would do. Have your AAdvantage card in hand, printed, or on your phone and if questioned just say there must be a mistake as I'm gold which boards with group 4 and show the card. I'd say less than .01% would care.

These days with mobile boarding passes pretty much anyone could board whenever they want and I bet the GA wouldn't know/care. As far as I'm aware it just shows your seat when scanning the boarding pass and not the group #. Even if it did show the group number I suspect once scanned it wouldn't be worth the trouble to make the person wait.
Correct. When i was boarding with some co-workers i looked back and saw the GA screen. Nothing shows a group number. The only thing that happens with a BP scan is a seat color goes from Red to Green (or something like that). Makes me wonder why i should even bother following their SOP - other than knowing i'm doing the right thing.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Your boarding pass will say "Ruby". That's enough to get you in Group 4.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Your boarding pass will say "Ruby". That's enough to get you in Group 4.
And if you tap the BP 3 times and say "there is no place like home" will you get an entire row to yourself?
Uncle Nonny likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.