Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Parker Threatens End of Changes/Change Fees to Non-Refundable Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parker Threatens End of Changes/Change Fees to Non-Refundable Fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
... "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." The Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri (1265-1321)

The role of Charon shall be played in the 21st century by Douglas Parker.

A simple analogy.

If you don't get it, shame on your education and educators.
Heh, my 10th grade English teacher had that line on her office door, and it was fitting.

As I see it, this is like the parable of the boiling frog. Had we railed against checked baggage fees by clogging the boarding process with carry-ons, they’d have gone away. Had we boycotted properties with mandatory “resort fees” before they propagated, they’d have gone away.

Hotels and car rental agencies manage to turn a profit while only charging an extra 10% or so to pay later and cancel without penalty. With the airlines, it’s around double, and you still have to prepay even flexible fares, and the airlines still enjoy the benefits of overbooking. I see two major differences between these businesses: 1) The cost of entry into the airline business is very high, and 2) Mergers and acquisitions have practically eliminated competition. The “big 3” set fares and policies in lockstep with each other, and you’ve got no choice but to take it.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by indieblackflyer
Congress was behind allowing US Customers the 24-hr period to cancel a booking and I have utilized that many times since the law was passed. a Change fee I am not against, it's the price-gauging at the last-minute that I don't like. If one buys a ticket at $250 roundtrip and then simply wants to take an earlier flight home on that same day, then I don't think it's right they have to pay $200 to change PLUS the fare is now $1200!! I think that is more what consumers deep-down are upset about. Because in theory, the only reason that seat sold to begin with was because it was priced at $250. Many American airline consumers are budget-conscious and it stinks to be reamed last-minute. It's also one thing for solo business travelers who's company is reimbursing that change fee (or that buy full-fare economy to begin with) and another for a family of 4-5 on vacation. I know my brother always flies Southwest for that reason alone.
1) a same day confirmed change is only $75

2) How many families of 4-5 on vacation want to take an earlier flight home anyway? It's about zero. Families on vacation are the most likely type of passenger to show up for their booked flight.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Kevin AA

2) How many families of 4-5 on vacation want to take an earlier flight home anyway? It's about zero. Families on vacation are the most likely type of passenger to show up for their booked flight.
{SARCASM ON)
That is Generalissimo Parker's #1 Demographic!
(Sarcasm off)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA

It's true. Walk up fares are all about gouging corporate travelers. To my mind, the thought process is similar to the rationalization shoplifters use. Hey, they're a big company; they can afford it.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:40 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
What makes you say that? There isn't one until somebody creates one.

And if you think back pre-911, there was indeed one: the newspaper. Who else remembers ads for "AA one way ticket available, male passenger, SAN-PDX on 11/08. $150.00 OBO"?
ID was required before 9/11. Sometime in the mid 90's the gate agents began checking photo ID with the boarding pass to insure the name matched. So selling/buying a ticket with someone else's name on it was not possible. It was, however, possible in the years leading up to around 1995. Don't ask me how I know this....
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:49 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Austin787
On WN, it's just the fare difference. On the other airlines who charge change fees, it's the change fee PLUS the fare difference.
And that's only ONE time per any given ticket. Making subsequent changes will incur a fee. Small distinction, but let's not paint Southwest as some great alternative. I find even their "wanna get away" fares are the same or higher than the competition on the same routes.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by PHL
And that's only ONE time per any given ticket. Making subsequent changes will incur a fee. Small distinction, but let's not paint Southwest as some great alternative. I find even their "wanna get away" fares are the same or higher than the competition on the same routes.
This is totally wrong. You may make as many changes as you like to a Southwest ticket, paying only the fare difference. And if the price goes down, you get the difference as a credit.

On the other hand, Southwest does NOT offer same-day confirmed for a fixed price (like $75). To make a confirmed change you always have to pay the fare difference. Hey, at least they're consistent.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

FWIW, whether it’s a coincidence or a move to try and stick it to Parker/AA, F9 has made a surprising move in lowering and eliminating change fees.

Changes beyond 90 days out are now free, they are $49 if 14-90 days out, and $99 less than 14 days prior. Seems like a very fair structure, and obviously similar to the old AS model. With such cheap fares, it’s entirely possible your ticket is less than the cost of a change fee, but nonetheless, seems surprising to me.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole WN argument gets nowhere.

If people liked the business model, it would have wiped the legacies off the map years ago. But, they don't and it hasn't.

1. Lack of an international network.
2. No interline agreement.
3. No IRRPS handling.
4. No seat assignments.
5. No F
6. No E+, MCE, C+
7. Line up like pre-school

Some people are OK with this, but not a significant chunk of the HVC market. Anyone who thinks that AA making inflexible tickets what they say they are, e.g. "inflexible" will cause a mass exodus to WN is mistaken.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
WN doesn't serve all business travelers needs and yes some business travelers wouldn't be caught dead on a WN flight. However, I've met my share of domestic business travelers that swear by WN. Direct flights with frequency, no change fees, a consistent experience and if using a secondary airport (for example ISP over LGA or JFK) less flight delays. Some people do not enjoy flying and just want to "get there."

Next time you all are in Y (which is where most business flyers can be found) notice how many sit down and immediately get lost in a phone and then a laptop. They don't seem to give a damn about anything else.
BearX220 and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I think it's a big enough of a deal that AA will balk at this challenge.

Some have equated to situation to the fact that you purchased a ticket to a game of some sort an aren't able to attend for whatever reason. No one is looking for a change of venue option.

One will either be forced to buy the more expensive refundable tickets or just chalk it up as a lost otherwise.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Often1

If people liked the business model, it would have wiped the legacies off the map years ago. But, they don't and it hasn't.

1. Lack of an international network.
2. No interline agreement.
3. No IRRPS handling.
4. No seat assignments.
5. No F
6. No E+, MCE, C+
7. Line up like pre-school

Some people are OK with this, but not a significant chunk of the HVC market. Anyone who thinks that AA making inflexible tickets what they say they are, e.g. "inflexible" will cause a mass exodus to WN is mistaken.
Well, the discussion is about the possibility that AA might eliminate all changes on discount tickets (i.e., make the Basic Economy restriction of no changes whatsoever, at any price, standard except for fully flexible tickets). It makes sense to group customers into 3 segments:
1. customers who expect to make frequent changes
2. customers who expect to make occasional changes
3. customers who do not expect to make any changes.

Most customers in segment 1 are already buying flexible tickets. Most customers in segment 3 are either already buying basic economy or wouldn't care about the new restriction. So we are left with segment 2, which is people who want the flexibility to make changes but are willing to pay a fee to do so because they don't do it frequently enough to make the flexible ticket worth the price. In that segment, you don't think WN provides any pressure on AA? I'm not talking about markets like LAX-LON. I'm talking about markets like CHI-DAL, where there's a short flight with lots of frequency, and lots of business travelers whose plans sometimes change.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:07 pm

Obviously nothing happens overnight, but Southwest has been steadily increasing market share at the expense of legacy carriers. So while they haven't "wiped the legacies off the map" they're clearly outcompeting them.

I don't understand the juxtaposition of these two sentences. Are you thinking that HVCs are going to be the ones buying these completely unchangeable tickets? I suspect that is not the market that AA would be going after with this change.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Did you try HUCA? Might have just gotten an EXP agent making stuff up.
No. I thought about it, but this was at the end of a long Skype call from overseas, the agent seemed competent and friendly, and she had already volunteered the information that she had consulted with her supervisor and the rate desk to see if they could get the fare lower. (I had to pay a $180 fare difference on top of the $250 change fee.) I doubted that hanging up and calling again would produce a better result, and it would have cost me another 20 minutes or so. And I don't think she was making up the memo that said no change fee waivers unless the reason is really serious.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The question is would AA lose more corporate business that would offset the impact from use it or lose it tickets... this would make historical revenue models irrelevant for a period of time as likely behavior would change (more people might fly if the value of the entire ticket would be lost and changes can't be made.)
Exactly. If the (now great) differential between discount non-refundable tickets and flex tickets remains unchanged, that will scramble buying patterns in business and leisure cohorts alike. If an unchangeable K or Q ticket is $400, and a refundable Y ticket is $900, are people with un-firm plans going to pony up for Y? Buy low and possibly eat $400? March over to WN, F9, or Amtrak/driving (viable on +/- 500m trips)? Or just not travel?

In the business world, at least, AA does not compete against UA and DL. It is competing against Skype, Zoom, and WebEx.

The whole WN argument gets nowhere... If people liked the business model, it would have wiped the legacies off the map years ago.
Southwest carried more passengers in 2017 than any other US airline -- 157.6m. Adding domestic and international together, DL, AA, and UA trail Southwest -- UA's enplanements, 107.2m, were only 68% of WN's. DOT table here.

The smug FlyerTalk view of Southwest as this eccentric, grubby last-resort alternative that appeals to no truly refined person is objectively ridiculous. Most of the things WN lacks (F, lounges, intercontinental routes) are irrelevant to many, even many HVFs. In this context FT is the eccentric view.

Note that WN's share of the business travel market has risen steadily in this decade even though it does not serve HKG or CDG. The question in Doug Parker's office has to be whether more restrictions on discount tickets would further accelerate that trend.

It sure would for me. I have clients with fluxy calendars who would not happily eat very many $400 K tickets, would balk at $900+ Y tickets, and would likely respond by narrowing the options to: Southwest or Skype.
ijgordon and wetrat0 like this.

Last edited by BearX220; Sep 21, 2018 at 7:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.