Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

This BIS Elite hates AA when they offer free Plat

Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Butt in Seat Elites hate it when AA sends out these targeted free Platinum and Platinum Pro offers

You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status through January 6, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Platinum status. Plus, elevate your experience with twenty 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.*

Want to keep Platinum status or earn Platinum Pro status through January 2020? Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and January 6, 2019.Elite status levelEQMs neededEQDs neededPlatinum50,00012,500$6,000$1,500Platinum Pro75,00020,000$9,000$2,400
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Centurion
Butt in Seat Elites hate it when AA sends out these free Platinum and Platinum Pro offers
Source?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Source?
Targeted email by AA to individual who flies SW and Private Charter. Occasional F ticket on AA when flying with me.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Targeted email by AA to individual who flies SW and Private Charter. Occasional F ticket on AA when flying with me.
I mean what's your source for "Butt in Seat Elites hate it when AA sends out these free Platinum and Platinum Pro offers"?
deeruck, Spiff, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
I mean what's your source for "Butt in Seat Elites hate it when AA sends out these free Platinum and Platinum Pro offers"?
+1

Who cares if they give out challenges and promos like this. I would care if they started giving other people $30,000 EQD or something, but a freebie status pax will be down the list for upgrades so nbd.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
By all means, please report back and let us know how many of those 500-mile upgrades you were able to actually use from now until January 6, 2019, as a Platinum.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Butt in Seat Elites hate it when AA sends out these targeted free Platinum and Platinum Pro offers
mathematically, just because 1 person hates something does not then extrapolate out that all people hate it

Most, even if they know about it, I suspect couldn't care less
E55 and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
BIS is a misnomer, is it not? Most of us have EQMs inflated, at least slightly, by bonuses for F, J, and Y (and others). For the record, I do find it to be insulting to offer people huge discounts for achieving status.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
One reason to hate it is the fact that those given Platinum Status, or higher, for free, while they may not affect your upgrade chances, they certainly can scoop up MCE seats at the time of booking, leaving fewer of those available for all others. Including higher-priority platinums, Platinum Pro, and executive Platinum customers.
LINDEGR and Uzzar like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This is the emotional maturity of a badly raised seven year-old boy. 'You gave him a bigger cookie!'

AA runs AAdvantage as a profit center. If they - through whatever marketing or market research hooks they have - find people who travel a lot but don't fly AA (say, a many-night Hilton elite who lives in an AA hub but takes fewer than four domestic AA trips a year), they sensibly will offer a promo.
wrp96, WoodyWindy, GTITAN and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It is a scientifically proven fact that ever FTer wants the elite qualification level set one mile below what he achieved last year.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Does it really matter what AA offers to flyers, Its a business. My business offers specials to customers that have not done business with me for a while
and yes I offer deals to customers that I am trying to get.
My wife took a PLT challenge from AA this year (DL PLT), she is happy and has shifted all her travel to AA (will attain EXP by December)
So you can see that by AA offerings to flyers . it does pay off
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You should try flying BA. The airline appears to have some unscripted policy whereby blues and bronze level FFP members are given the occasional op-up ahead of golds. The reason appears to be that the golds are already captive loyalists, no point wasting anything on them, whereas the low fish might bite and switch their preferences /cabin choice once they see how nice a business seat is.
fotographer and Marschel like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
BIS is a misnomer, is it not? Most of us have EQMs inflated, at least slightly, by bonuses for F, J, and Y (and others). For the record, I do find it to be insulting to offer people huge discounts for achieving status.
Not I said the fly. Rolling eqd is probably 24-26K for economy. However upgrade rate is decent as exp based in dfw.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I could not care less about people being offered status challenges. Complete non-issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.