Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."

• Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airline’s instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).
  • Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For obsolete posts, please see ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition (link) and the 2017 version.

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MorganB
Want to make sure I understand, you mean that there must be inventory in the upgrade fare class for SWU open and ready to confirm as opposed to waitlist? I'm interested as I have flights booked international but there is no immediate inventory. Thanks! Very kind of you to make the offer to everyone!
The problem w/putting people on the waitlist is not knowing which ones might, actually, clear & then if more than the 2 I have expiring SWU's for clear, AA would be pulling from my SWU's that aren't expiring. Make sense?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by txrus
The problem w/putting people on the waitlist is not knowing which ones might, actually, clear & then if more than the 2 I have expiring SWU's for clear, AA would be pulling from my SWU's that aren't expiring. Make sense?
Yes I totally follow. You would have to use the 2 as a waitlist and then wait until the person had flown to see if they clear or not. That would risk them not being used before the end of the year which would defeat the purpose.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:37 pm

Wait, so AA isn’t clearing any upgrades, even if there’s C inventory available, simply because it’s the holidays? Does it matter SWU vs Miles + Copay?

Full disclosure: PMed the other day when my outbound ORD-NRT alerted C2. Within 10 minutes, it was back down to 0. (Hopefully I wasn’t the sole cause of the v reasonable “make sure there’s confirmable inventory” msg) so it seems someone was able to clear if I’m understanding this all correctly.

Took off for the outbound a few hours ago with return HKG-LAX showing C0 on departure. Now mid-flight showing C5 when of course I can’t call . Based on this news, I assume it’ll be C5 now until day of (because of the “holidays”) and waitlist is forming which will clear at 12:01am in some time zone OR this isn’t consistent and it’ll go back down to C0 before this flight lands.

Anyhow, public thanks to txrus for the offer. A great learning experience even absent the J!

UPDATE: 30 minutes later C4!

Last edited by Lasvegasgamer; Dec 6, 2018 at 7:08 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lasvegasgamer
Wait, so AA isn’t clearing any upgrades, even if there’s C inventory available, simply because it’s the holidays? Does it matter SWU vs Miles + Copay?
That's not the case. If there's C available, your instrument upgrades (whether supported by SWU, miles+copay, or BXP3) will clear. The previous agent was just making an ill-advised, over-generalized statement about the lack of C space this time of year. While it is rare, it does exist.
JonNYC and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Took off for the outbound a few hours ago with return HKG-LAX showing C0 on departure. Now mid-flight showing C5 when of course I can’t call .
I've had this happen to me before - message the AA team on Twitter. They're generally pretty responsive and they can take care of this for you while in-flight.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Finsup72
I've had this happen to me before - message the AA team on Twitter. They're generally pretty responsive and they can take care of this for you while in-flight.
Seriously their twitter team is one of the best going on twitter!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: CK or bust
UPDATE: 30 minutes later C4!
Hopefully you were responsible for the C5 > C4!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by txrus
Ok, for those interested in using my spare SWU's or BXP1's, please ensure there is confirmable inventory before you contact me. Once you have confirmed that, I will need your flight details include record locator, etc.

For those unfamiliar w/BXP1's, please review the terms for their use, including the fare category you must be booked in, here. BXP1's are not valid for int'l trips. Note-if you are not booked in the correct fare class, you will need to rectify that first, including any fare upgrade that's needed.
PM Sent, thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Hi there, I have 2 SWU's that will expire in Jan 2019. I'm happy to give them to someone. I've never had extra's before, so I need to figure out how to give them away. PM if you're interested. Would be great if you knew how the process worked.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by tomj888
Hi there, I have 2 SWU's that will expire in Jan 2019. I'm happy to give them to someone. I've never had extra's before, so I need to figure out how to give them away. PM if you're interested. Would be great if you knew how the process worked.
PM Sent
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by tomj888
PM sent!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:18 am

PM Sent
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If anyone is giving or getting SWU upgrades, just an FYI that AA seems to be checking on them...

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/15/...t/?omhide=true
Our reader Charles wrote me an email saying he was perplexed when he got a call from American Airlines this week where they questioned him about the background of his upgrade for an upcoming flight to Europe.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aztimm
If anyone is giving or getting SWU upgrades, just an FYI that AA seems to be checking on them...

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/15/...t/?omhide=true
Expect to see +/- 0 additional reports about such calls
JDiver and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
My Christmas Gift to Flyertalk community - 2 SWUs.
Eligibility for pax flying on Dec 24th or 25th only. Preference thereafter will be given to a couple flying long haul.
PM me your qualifying details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.