Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no asking, no quid pro quo): 2018 Edition

SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no asking, no quid pro quo): 2018 Edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 19, 12:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."

• Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airline’s instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For obsolete posts, please see ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo) (link) and the 2017 version.

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 9, 19, 1:51 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

PM sent
Old Jan 9, 19, 2:02 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by lovefly88 View Post
Is there a way to search online at AA website for confirmable space?
If the itenarary starts on 1/31, overnight layover in ORD, long haul on 2/1 will that be alright since it started on Jan 31?
Are there taxes and fees assosciated with it?

this is incredibly generous of y’all and if I had them I would do the same.
I don't think the flight on 2/1 will be eligible, since it departs after the expiration of the SWUs.
In the old days this had a chance to work, but here is another thread describing how AA has deployed software to prevent agents from applying SWUs before expiration to flights departing after 1/31,
In general, no taxes and fees. In practice, there are some cases. IE if your flight originates from the UK, AA collects the extra luxury tax charged to passengers in premium cabins.

As far as searching for confirmable space, most people use EF, but only the paid version works for this.
Another (only if you're logged in an EXP account) is to start a reservation and see if AA shows 'systemwide upgrade' options.
This will not tell you how many seats are available for upgrades, but it will tell you if there are any.
Old Jan 9, 19, 9:57 am

EDIT: ALL USED, none left.

I have 3 expiring SWUs to giveaway. Please PM with Flight To/From, Date, # of SWUs required, and If there is confirmed space/waitlist.

If I receive multiple PMs, Preference will be given to confirmed space and longer flights.

EDIT - these are expiring on Jan 31, 2019, so can't be used on flights beyond.

Last edited by vrbaba; Jan 19, 19 at 10:08 am Reason: expiring on Jan 31, none left
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Just wanted to say thanks to anyone who goes through the trouble of calling aa to get a stranger an upgrade
skunker, MarJon, robofski and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:47 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
I have 2 to giveaway - PM with confirmable flight.
tcollins33 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:57 am

Still more avialable

SWU available. PM please.

email [email protected] if you prefer.
adunker likes this.

Last edited by zzoomm; Jan 10, 19 at 12:23 pm Reason: update 2:22pm EST, Jan 10, 2019
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:22 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, WN, NK
You guys are awesome.
Old Jan 9, 19, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to anyone who goes through the trouble of calling aa to get a stranger an upgrade
I'm totally with Nuhusky here. I'm bowled over by the generosity & really appreciate the length folks are willing to go to help out an unknown fellow flyer.
Old Jan 9, 19, 9:22 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
I have tried to give mine away to some friends and family.

I have 3 I am willing to give away.

Please check for C space before PMing me.

Thanks.
HUGE shoutout to Long Train Runnnin! Your gift is extremely generous, I will be toasting you with Krug in Flagship Dining at JFK next week. Thank you!
tcollins33, JY1024 and donotblink like this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
PM’d.
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXEC PLAT, HERTZ PLATINUM
2018 SWU's expiring soon

Hello All,
I have some SWU's expiring at the end of this month that I will not use. If someone can use them on a flight(s) that are available to confirm upon calling, please let me know. Have a good weekend.
Old Jan 13, 19, 6:23 pm

PM'ED
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by emikelaw View Post
Hello All,
I have some SWU's expiring at the end of this month that I will not use. If someone can use them on a flight(s) that are available to confirm upon calling, please let me know. Have a good weekend.
I previously PM'd you but please kindly ignore - another angel already helped me out - thank you anyways!

Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Hi badjuju, I previously PM'd you but please kindly ignore my message - another angel already helped me out. Thanks again!

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 14, 19 at 10:23 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 14, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Hi all, I’ve got 1 SWU to giveaway. You know the deal, PM me if you’ve got an international flight before the end of January that has confirmable upgrade space.
Old Jan 15, 19, 7:20 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zzoomm View Post
SWU available. PM please.

email [email protected] if you prefer.
Cleared LHR-DFW tomorrow! Cheers to zzoomm!

Search this Thread