Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

For the first time in years, I will not qualify for EXP next year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For the first time in years, I will not qualify for EXP next year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by samwise6222

...negotiation's still happening
Ouch. "...but I also remember when our upgrade go Asia didn't clear..."

I don't see it happening unless you let her know who the boss is.

But I think we already know.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: CK or bust
The best way to settle this debate and put this thread asleep would be a simple survey:

Should samwise6222 go on a premium cabin mileage run to obtain the final ~35K EQM needed for Executive Platinum?
  1. Yes: There's lots of value in re-qualifying and according to the vulnerable gospel of frequent flyers this is why travelers walk fly on this earth (no close in award ticketing fees, free award deposits, 4 rusty SWUs, bumper sticker bragging rights, being the top dog at the frequent flyer party until a CK shows up and then loudly announcing that it's not worth it anymore)
  2. No: Variations of the "other side with __________ program is greener" and the "be different/break the bonds of loyalty, they don't need me so I don't need them, go for free agency, etc..." crowds
  3. Absolutely Not, Grow Up: The oracle, QueenOfCoach, is right that it's a waste of three days and cash for short-lived perceived value when time could be better spent at home reading posts and posting to FlyerTalk
  4. Don't really care: Unless this thread gets picked up on JonNYC's Twitter feed
I'm going to go with 1) but totally fine if 4) is the winner.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by enpremiere

Absolutely Not, Grow Up: The oracle, QueenOfCoach, is right that it's a waste of three days and cash for short-lived perceived value when time could be better spent at home reading posts and posting to FlyerTalk.
I consulted my younger self and she came back with an even better alternative.

Take the $2000, the 30 hours and the significant other, check into a really great local hotel and have legal, ethical, marital but still mind-blowing sex.

Then, go to the lobby, settle into a comfy chair and do Sudoku puzzles. You can pretend it's an airport lounge.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by samwise6222

...negotiation's still happening
Nicest NYer I ever know.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Take the $2000, the 30 hours and the significant other, check into a really great local hotel and have legal, ethical, marital but still mind-blowing sex.

Then, go to the lobby, settle into a comfy chair and do Sudoku puzzles. You can pretend it's an airport lounge.
Hahahaha. Although, while at it, why even bother with a hotel. I mean, honestly... what benefit does that give?

To the Original Post - It isnt a dollars and cents or time thing for me. My wanderlust, traveling and love for airplanes is a core part of who I am. So the chance to be on a flight that also gives me perks for the next one.. no brainer.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Take the $2000, the 30 hours and the significant other, check into a really great local hotel...
​​​
Originally Posted by Antarius
Hahahaha. Although, while at it, why even bother with a hotel. I mean, honestly... what benefit does that give?
Now just because samwise622 forgoes a mileage run for one year in the name of reason and reality doesn't mean that you throw the baby out with the bath.

As expected of any true FlyerTalk member, samwise6222 would select a hotel based on available upgrades/promotions and credit it to the right program that will maximize the value of his stay, all the while ensuring that the lounge had proper comfy chairs. Mrs. EnPremiere refuses to award me points when I'm at home so clearly it needs to be a proper point-earning hotel
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:56 pm

My wanderlust, traveling and love for airplanes is a core part of who I am.
That should be printed on a luggage tag ^
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
1) Hotel points
2) You don't have to clean up the aftermath
GTITAN and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
After 17 years as EXP, I won’t make Gold this year (but have lifetime Platinum to fall back on). No regrets.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:11 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I agree - No effing way. The SWU are never available to be confirmed - tried an entire week in October to LHR from ORD, PHL, and JFK. NOTHING - not one. I am done. WFBF is now my mantra and I spend less in total then I did chasing status.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:15 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I agree - No effing way. The SWU are never available to be confirmed - tried an entire week in October to LHR from ORD, PHL, and JFK. NOTHING - not one. I am done. WFBF is now my mantra and I spend less in total then I did chasing status.
So that's the meaning of NEVER? One week in October? Really? Keep your expectations in check.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:22 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
It is just hard for me to fathom that so many have such low expectations of AA that they accept this. Your approach may be expect a crappy program and then you'll be OK with EXP is not for me!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
It is just hard for me to fathom that so many have such low expectations of AA that they accept this. Your approach may be expect a crappy program and then you'll be OK with EXP is not for me!
Give that loyalty street is one way these days with a take it or leave it proposition (and really always has been), having high expectations for AA's program or any frequent flyer program these days for that matter would most likely lead to a constant state of disappointment.

But if it's in your blood to fly, that's not as much of a deterrent even if the benefits are somewhat of an illusion. After all,
and then https://www.greatestflyers.com/ (DNS lookup failed) so that speaks to where AA stands today.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
This is my favorite thread this week.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by rbAA
So that's the meaning of NEVER? One week in October? Really? Keep your expectations in check.

True... but... some people have only limited windows of opportunity for travel. A convention-goer can only go during the week of the convention, not the week after. A school teacher can go only during school breaks.

No SWU availability in your own personal window of opportunity effectively means "never".
GTITAN and MarkOK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.