Search

Close In AA Fun Runs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Close In AA Fun Runs?

Hello AA FT,

Maybe this is better for the fare deals discussion forum so MODS please move if appropriate.

Do you ever run across ultra-cheap, close-in fares for on AA for same day return from your home airport? I run across cheap hub runs (mostly) that hit multiple hubs with same day return on google.com/flights quite often that you can't replicate on aa.com but usually can book when linking from google.com/flights to aa.com. I call them Fun Runs because it is just a day of lounge access and alone time.

These are typically sub $160 fares which are also available when choosing ORD, CLT, DFW, as destinations but required either a nonstop to that destination with 2 stops on return or 2 stops on the out bound and 0-1 stops on return. You can also do MIA on select same day returns (From GRR) that involve an ATL overnight on the way home.

E.G.: I just booked today,5 days from travel, GRR-PHL-CLT-ATL-ORD-GRR for $122 all in (NOT basic econ) - decent upgrade chances on most
I also booked last night for same day return 10/6 (before the fares dropped a little more today) GRR-CLT-ATL-ORD-GRR for $132 (NOT basic econ)

Usually there are one or two (occasionally up to four) departure times featuring these fares then the price jumps by $300+ for other departure times.

At least most of these airports have a Sky Club which I can use as a SC member (until next year when rules change for access)....at least I don't have to choke down 10 High (Come on AA) whisky in the SC.

Best to you all!

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 18, 2018 at 12:00 pm Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have seen some garbage fares on Fridays for Sat-Mon trips. Most recently was a choice of either Tulsa or Columbus for under $150 from MSP. I was actually tempted but could not get the other trip costs low enough to justify the adventure.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
SAT-DFW-CUN-DFW-SAT for $124 basic economy all same day. actually nice since there was IRROPS I was rebooked in Y and earned lots of EQD's and lots of miles since it became based on distance due to that im guessing
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
How do you guys find these?

Every close in trip I try to make AA has it so expensive it’s not even worth it.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Yah Id be curious too. I'm MIA based so presumably lots of fun stuff.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miadukes
Yah Id be curious too. I'm MIA based so presumably lots of fun stuff.
in my experience, you are less likely to find one if you are hub based.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I've been able to snag BOS-HNL/OGG/KOA via DFW for around $550 RT 1-3 days out during slow season, either as a same-day turn (arriving HNL 12pm and leaving 8pm) or as a one-night stay. It becomes an even better deal if the upgrade gods are smiling on you for the long-haul flights. While not in the $100-200 range that others have reported here, it is a relatively cheap way to pick up 10k EQM, and personally I don't mind paying that amount of money for 8 or 24 hours in Hawaii. I know at least one mod on here who will agree with that sentiment!
enpremiere and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: CK or bust
I’m always open to sponsors on these. I’ll wear a logo on my shirt and your bag tags as well. For maximum visibility premium cabins are preferred.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, off season is key here, especially Oct/Nov and Jan/Feb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.