Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrades Options by AA operated flight but BA marketed and stock

Upgrades Options by AA operated flight but BA marketed and stock

Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You will, I believe, check in on the BA website - I would not expect to get any discounted offer at check in for an AA operated flight

You would have a better chance if you were to switch to a BA flight
Yikes! Look like I am going to be stuck in economy. Due to my connection, I will not be able to make the BA operated flight to DFW.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ilkhats44
Yikes! Look like I am going to be stuck in economy. Due to my connection, I will not be able to make the BA operated flight to DFW.
Have you checked what the fare difference is to Premium Economy?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Have you checked what the fare difference is to Premium Economy?
How can I check this? I will be paying out of pocket since my company only pays for travel in Economy. The ticket was booked via a travel agency.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by ilkhats44
How can I check this? I will be paying out of pocket since my company only pays for travel in Economy. The ticket was booked via a travel agency.
Phone the travel agency would be the easiest - see whether it will accept payment for the difference from you
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP.
You will, I believe, check in on the BA website - I would not expect to get any discounted offer at check in for an AA operated flight

You would have a better chance if you were to switch to a BA flight
You can check in just fine on AA but you need the AA reservation number.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Similarly, I’m looking at booking an AA flight marketed by BA, but looking to go from PE to Biz. Anyone know if it possible to do this (even with a full-fare, W, booking class)?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Aero137
Similarly, I’m looking at booking an AA flight marketed by BA, but looking to go from PE to Biz. Anyone know if it possible to do this (even with a full-fare, W, booking class)?
Where was the ticket booked? if if is not issued by AA, is there an AA flight in the booking?

Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Where was the ticket booked? if if is not issued by AA, is there an AA flight in the booking?
I am looking through Concur right now. (Still getting used to the system, only have booked straightforward domestic flights on it so far). The original itinerary had all BA flight numbers, so sounds like it’d be a no-go if I went that route.

However, I have now found some other itineraries with AA flight numbers on the segments I want to upgrade. Does it matter who tickets it in this case?

Also, if I do end up finding a itinerary with an AA operated/BA marketed flight (but still meeting the one AA flight requirement on another segment), what inventory does this pull from? Is it still C? And can you waitlist?

Last edited by Aero137; Jun 8, 2019 at 1:09 am Reason: Updated to include quote
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Does it matter who tickets it in this case?

I would book with the airline whose FFP currency I want to use. Despite one or two anecdotes here that some managed to get AA to reissue a BA ticket, I am very much skeptical that AA would do that.
Also, if I do end up finding a itinerary with an AA operated/BA marketed flight (but still meeting the one AA flight requirement on another segment), what inventory does this pull from? Is it still C? And can you waitlist?

Yes, you will need C class inventory. AA allows waitlisting C class, so if you make a booking with AA it should not be a problem; if you make a booking with BA the latter's agents are not really familiar with that option..

Last edited by Andriyko; Jun 8, 2019 at 5:56 am Reason: Fixing the quote
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Coming back to this with a similar situation and relating some anecdotal evidence to look for comment/similar experiences.

We have a flight booked with BA Holidays. All BA flight numbers. The initial leg is on AA LAX-LHR (we're getting from SJC-LAX on a separate AS ticket). We're in I. It shows up in the AA app as AA 108 but, of course, they know it's really ticketed as BA 1540 (I believe that's the number), so not possible to apply SWU to move into A at this time,

What I have been told, however, is that they can do this at the airport if there is still A available.Is this something generally true or likely an exception? Does anyone else have experience (yay or nay) for this situation?

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by brp
Coming back to this with a similar situation and relating some anecdotal evidence to look for comment/similar experiences.

We have a flight booked with BA Holidays. All BA flight numbers. The initial leg is on AA LAX-LHR (we're getting from SJC-LAX on a separate AS ticket). We're in I. It shows up in the AA app as AA 108 but, of course, they know it's really ticketed as BA 1540 (I believe that's the number), so not possible to apply SWU to move into A at this time,

What I have been told, however, is that they can do this at the airport if there is still A available.Is this something generally true or likely an exception? Does anyone else have experience (yay or nay) for this situation?

Cheers.
I wonder if the way they do that is to take over the ticket as the operating carrier day of. Once they take it over they can do what they want. My guess is this isn’t policy but if you explain to an agent who knows how to do this and explain that someone told you this was possible at the airport they might be willing to try harder. Trying at the flagship lounge might yield better results.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Rehashing this thread, but my situation is a little different as I am on a domestic segment booked through BA.

I am flying SFO-LAX on AA (Envoy) with a BA flight number, which is the first segment of a BA ticket from LAX-LHR, currently in economy, is there anyway to receive a complimentary upgrade (<500 miles) on this segment or is it not possible since I booked through BA and the flight has a BA flight #?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.