Search

What's so special about MEX route?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
What's so special about MEX route?

Hi all,

This year I was upgraded 100% on variety of routes which include JFK-SFO, SFO-JFK, LGA-DCA, JFK-MIA, LGA-MIA, MIA-LGA, MIA-EWR. For all of them I would get upgraded 4 days ahead of the flight (100+ hours as EXP).

Last week I got upgraded on JFK-MIA but did not get anything for MIA-MEX. When I got to the airport I was #6 on upgrade list, after all available seats were already upgraded prior to the flight. On the way back I was flying MEX - DFW where I was #4 on the upgrade list and DFW-LGA cleared 4 days before. I also spoke to a woman in the airport and she said she was #7 on MEX - DFW upgrade list as PP.

What is so special about MEX route? How come there are so many people way ahead of me on the upgrade list on this route as compared to other routes which I would assume are more popular at AA? I had ~$27k spent last year and about $16k this year so far. All of the routes I've done this year I'm assuming I'm in top 3 for upgrades and this is before airport and my guess there are others who are behind me on upgrade list that had smaller amount spent in 2017. If I'm #6 in the airport most likely there were 3-4 people who were upgraded previously (ie. 100+ hours). With this in mind it would mean there are 10+ passengers that had a higher spend than me in 2017.

Is MEX a special destination for AA that would have higher spend travelers who spend more than travelers to bigger AA hubs (ie. MIA / SFO / DFW / JFK / LGA). I'm puzzled how I am top of the EXP upgrade list for all different places except for MEX where I appear to be at the complete bottom, almost on same level as PP.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:33 pm

Flights are pretty cheap in business out of MEX in my opinion. And to add to that, most of the flights to PHX/MIA/DFW are on A319's - only 8 seats in F. My cabin is completely full MEX-PHX in a few weeks.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Flights are pretty cheap in business out of MEX in my opinion. And to add to that, most of the flights to PHX/MIA/DFW are on A319's - only 8 seats in F. My cabin is completely full MEX-PHX in a few weeks.
You're correct only 8 in F, on MEX - DFW 3 people were upgraded and I was #4

If people are paying for their F seats they wouldn't need to be upgraded. I am sure there are plenty of EXP / CK that always travel in paid F and therefore are never need to be upgraded. My original question still stands as why MEX has so many high spenders who are outspending me but at every other location I am the opposite. This is not 1-2 people ahead of me, its a lot of people.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The nuts on board leaving MEX!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer

If people are paying for their F seats they wouldn't need to be upgraded. I am sure there are plenty of EXP / CK that always travel in paid F and therefore are never need to be upgraded. My original question still stands as why MEX has so many high spenders who are outspending me but at every other location I am the opposite. This is not 1-2 people ahead of me, its a lot of people.
I'm off to MEX next week (outbound via PHX; inbound via DFW) and when I booked my tix last week the F cabin was pretty closed to being full so I pulled the trigger and booked F/J. My thoughts on your inquiry is that it's a good enough destination for travelers to pay for F/J and not hassle with wishing/playing the upgrade game.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Well, CDMX is not a poor city and is the financial hub of the Americas - lots of business travel compared to that of CUN or SJD where it's mostly leisure travel.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, next time ask the people sitting in F why they are special.
Zacnlinc and Marschel like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Well, CDMX is not a poor city and is the financial hub of the Americas...
What part of the Americas are you thinking about? Not the U.S. and Canada, obviously.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What part of the Americas are you thinking about? Not the U.S. and Canada, obviously.
Sorry - Latin America
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:53 pm

I fly this route fairly often and have never had issues clearing (on both the 737 and A319) as an EXP with around $15k annual spend from DFW. Usually leisure travel on weekends (leave Thurs, return Sun).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I fly this route fairly often and have never had issues clearing (on both the 737 and A319) as an EXP with around $15k annual spend from DFW. Usually leisure travel on weekends (leave Thurs, return Sun).
Hence my confusion why with ~$27k for last year + $16k current year (+ upcoming $9k international flight + several domestic trips in F/J/economy). I think I will be over $30k spend this year because I'm booking AA marketed CX flight and I have one less Asia J flight this year.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For one, MEX likely offers more premium traffic. Ergo the exception for Admirals Club use if flying to or from MEX, but not other North American & Caribbean destinations, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by JDiver
For one, MEX likely offers more premium traffic. Ergo the exception for Admirals Club use if flying to or from MEX, but not other North American & Caribbean destinations, etc.
Also at the moment it is the cool foodie destination in the world. #hungry
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.