Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Major SE USA travel waiver notice issued for Hurricane Florence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

AA just issued a set of travel waivers and exceptions for a big chunk of the Southeast - from SAV to RIC and as far west as AVL.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

Asheville, North Carolina (AVL)
  • Augusta, Georgia (AGS)
  • Charleston, South Carolina (CHS)
  • Charlotte, North Carolina (CLT)
  • Charlottesville, Virginia (CHO)
  • Columbia, South Carolina (CAE)
  • Fayetteville, North Carolina (FAY)
  • Florence, South Carolina (FLO)
  • Greensboro / High Point, North Carolina (GSO)
  • Greenville / Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP)
  • Greenville, North Carolina (PGV)
  • Hampton / Newport News, Virginia (PHF)
  • Hilton Head, South Carolina (HHH)
  • Jacksonville, North Carolina (OAJ)
  • Lynchburg, Virginia (LYH)
  • Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (MYR)
  • New Bern, North Carolina (EWN)
  • Norfolk, Virginia (ORF)
  • Raleigh / Durham, North Carolina (RDU)
  • Richmond, Virginia (RIC)
  • Roanoke, Virginia (ROA)
  • Savannah, Georgia (SAV)
  • Wilmington, North Carolina (ILM)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Yeah, we here in the Carolinas are preparing for a very wet and windy weekend with our coasts possible being battered. Y'all stay safe if coming this way.

Safe Travels
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
And of course it doesn't waive the fare difference.

So If I wanted to avoid connecting through Charlotte on my trip this weekend (within the waiver dates), I'd have to pay somewhere between $650 and $1050 to do so. No thanks - I'll wait until the flight is cancelled or delayed and deal with it then.

Of course, I could change to a different connection through CLT for free...because that makes sense for avoiding the storm.

Stay safe.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:01 am

Strategy on hurricane

My husband and I were scheduled for a week on the Outer Banks starting this coming Saturday going PHX-CLT-ORF on non-refundable tickets. We are thinking of cancelling the trip and heading somewhere on the West Coast/Mexico instead, maybe driving. The statement out now from AA says they are only waiving change fee for the same destination. Can you help with the best strategy? Is it best to wait as close as possible to the flights Saturday and see if they cancel? How long before the flight do I have to cancel on my side to at least maintain some value on the ticket. I'm Platinum status if that matters at all.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dicey
My husband and I were scheduled for a week on the Outer Banks starting this coming Saturday going PHX-CLT-ORF on non-refundable tickets. We are thinking of cancelling the trip and heading somewhere on the West Coast/Mexico instead, maybe driving. The statement out now from AA says they are only waiving change fee for the same destination. Can you help with the best strategy? Is it best to wait as close as possible to the flights Saturday and see if they cancel? How long before the flight do I have to cancel on my side to at least maintain some value on the ticket. I'm Platinum status if that matters at all.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, dicey!

You're right, waiting until it cancels is your best bet -- then you'll be eligible for a full refund.

You have until the time of the flight departure to cancel, so I've waited until a few minutes before and gone online and canceled. Just save the PNR and ticket number and you'll be able to apply the value less $200 to another ticket within 12 months of its issuance.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'd wait as AA will likely cancel all flights to that area and you can then will not need to incur change fees.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by dicey
Right now nobody knows how this will turn out - it could pile through South Carolina (and close CLT airport) and weaken while inland or turn more North to Outer Banks. The main problem with Outer Banks is flooding and possible bridge damage. Not too many trees there so I wouldn't expect much trouble with electrical power. Also, Outer Bans are something like 300 miles long so the impact on Cape Lookout could be very different from Corolla. Since you can only change your ticket now, I would just wait and see. By Friday morning the Florence path should be clear and may be AA policy would change. I do not think there is an evacuation order for the Outer Banks yet.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UA Gold
How does this work for award tickets? I have a flight booked to Charlotte for Saturday with BA Avios points. I don't see an option to change. Can I change now or do I have to wait for IRROPS?

Last edited by FijiBill; Sep 10, 2018 at 11:35 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Looks like I am cancelling my flight tonight to CLT and return for Thursday.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:11 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
For an award ticket if the flights cancel can you have the miles redeposited without a fee or do you just have that ticket for those destinations to use within a year?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by abk
For an award ticket if the flights cancel can you have the miles redeposited without a fee or do you just have that ticket for those destinations to use within a year?
Full refund of miles and fees, just as if you paid for a non-refundable ticket. You got the award to use for specific flights. If AA cancels those flights, you shouldn't be out anything.
I don't think people usually get the mileage award and then go looking for flights
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:05 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I have a return trip that routes through CLT this Friday. I called and they were able to get me from my origin on the nonstop to PHL (on a BE fare, no less!), which is my ultimate destination. My only fear is that once I make my outbound leg tomorrow (Tuesday), the equipment (E190) making up my flight to PHL will be canceled while I'm stranded away from home.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
CLT is a zoo without the hurricane, I hate to see what happens when it does strike and flights get cancelled.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by bse118
And of course it doesn't waive the fare difference.

So If I wanted to avoid connecting through Charlotte on my trip this weekend (within the waiver dates), I'd have to pay somewhere between $650 and $1050 to do so.

I was able to change a 2 segment routing through CLT this Friday to a nonstop to my destination (PHL) for no fee. Have you called and inquired your options?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I'd wait for anything. A decade ago with that Iceland volcano was erupting, I was a nervous mess because I had a 2-week three country Europe trip planned. The flight was cancelled about 24 hours pre-departure, I was able to get all of my airline tickets refunded (all three PNRs with three different airlines), and within an hour of my flight being canceled, I searched around and found a 2-week airline/hotel package for two to Hawaii for $2.4K all in. And that ended up being my most memorable vacation in my life.

So, either the trajectory changes and you go as planned, or it doesn't and your flight is cancelled and you can collect your refunds and hopefully score a last minute deal to go somewhere else. Best of luck!!
miles4CDG likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.