Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 663 PHX-KOA: Passengers Asked to Urinate in Plastic Bags After Toilets Overflow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 663 PHX-KOA: Passengers Asked to Urinate in Plastic Bags After Toilets Overflow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
This flight would be my worst nightmare....just knowing I can't go makes me have to go even more....
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
A urinal would be mounted higher and closer than the toilet seat currently is, so more pee would make it to the urinal, and no unintended pee on the toilet seat. Maybe I'm unusual, but my aim is very good, even in turbulence. It's a gift.
We mere mortals typically stand on the toilet seat in order to pee in the sink.
cynicAAl likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I think ALL gate announcements 15 minutes before boarding should encourage people to use restrooms in the terminal. I'm sure a few would do so even when they don't have urgent need "to go". This would reduce need to use on flight and shorten lines. Also too often the seat belt sign stays lit longer than it need to be to allow crew more time to pass out drinks. And often during non-bumpy flight time.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:05 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
After the "super" meals AA serves even in bc/fc pax may be in dire need to do #2 .
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Navig8R
I find this incredibly greedy that you plan to file a complaint for something that was completely out of AA's control, especially after they preemptively offered you 30k miles as compensation. Would you file a complaint to AA if your flight diverted for a medical emergency? $hit happens, move on and enjoy Hawaii
I find this incredibly poor reading comprehension since asdf098 said they'd planned to submit a complaint before receiving the proactive compensation from AA, not that they were still planning on doing so after.
platbrownguy, chavala and asdf098 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
The story going around DFW is more like two hours out, not three, so continuing on was the closest airport.

Were the flight attendants dumping out every bag in the galley or is a case of really good freezer bags already on the minimum equipment list just in case?

The people seated in back steerage should get 50,000 points just for being closer to the problem.

Last edited by jayer; Sep 8, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
So if the diaper clogged a lav, why were all the lavs off limits? Or were they?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Shouldn't there be 4 lavs? Two across in the main cabin, one for F, and one behind MCE or F?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by inlanikai
I read that the clog was of the entire vacuum system making all lavs unusable.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I read that the clog was of the entire vacuum system making all lavs unusable.
the 752 doesnt have a vacuum system... but if they all do feed a common tank, then the point still applies.

for some reason I thought the 75 has 2 tanks? Maybe that was the 76?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:19 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I'd be upset if this happened.

Those 757's need to be refurbed or retired.

I hate flying them to Hawaii and will usually try to connect through LAX so we get the vastly superior A321s
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Do you know that the A321s are any more resistant to the wrong things being flushed down a toilet?

Many years ago I was on a Swissair 747 going nowhere out of Zurich because all main level toilets had been disabled by two plastic drink cups being flushed. The captain wisely recognized that the two upper deck toilets would not be satisfactory for 300+ passengers on a 10-hr flight.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
I'd be upset if this happened.

Those 757's need to be refurbed or retired.

I hate flying them to Hawaii and will usually try to connect through LAX so we get the vastly superior A321s
I don't think that being a 757 made any difference. There are plenty of examples of flights being diverted, delayed or cancelled due to toilet failures on modern aircraft too. As long as passengers fail to follow the rather obvious rules they and their fellows will suffer.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Navig8R
I find this incredibly greedy that you plan to file a complaint for something that was completely out of AA's control, especially after they preemptively offered you 30k miles as compensation. Would you file a complaint to AA if your flight diverted for a medical emergency? $hit happens, move on and enjoy Hawaii
Jeez quick to judge much?? Also learn to read properly first.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I am one of those who needs to use the urinals to pee frequently atleast once in a 2 hour flight. Once they announce that the toilets are no longer usable, even people who hold start to think only about going to pee. It is very difficult to control the mind. Fortunately I dont mind using the bags to go as long as it is in private.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.