Luggage Transfer AA to BA at LHR

Old Sep 4, 18, 11:16 pm
  #1  
SBT
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 52
Luggage Transfer AA to BA at LHR

Flying AA to LHR (Terminal 3) then connecting to BA (Terminal 5). 2 hour connection assuming AA arrives on time. Anyone have experience (good or bad) regarding luggage transfer? Same ticket. Thanks.
SBT is online now  
Old Sep 4, 18, 11:37 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,105
Not a problem. Happens every day.
thunderlounge is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 1:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,076
when I checked luggage last time, no issue at all, You can also check with BA once you are there , they will tell you if your luggage has been scanned at LHR
fotographer is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:04 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,378
I have never had a baggage transfer or connection issue at BA between AA and BA, though some people have complained about spending too much time in security. or the bus ride between terminals
If traveling to the UK, then you will clear immigration. Otherwise you just need to go through security.
mvoight is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:07 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,378
Ooops Wrong window.
mvoight is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: OW Emerald
Posts: 1,376
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Flying AA to LHR (Terminal 3) then connecting to BA (Terminal 5). 2 hour connection assuming AA arrives on time. Anyone have experience (good or bad) regarding luggage transfer? Same ticket. Thanks.
The rate at which my baggage is mishandled at LHR coming off AA is pretty much 100% lately. And my experience is that BA don't deliver it until just before EU penalties would kick in. Granted, my same-day connections are sometimes longer than average so that I can squeeze in a meeting, but I don't think that's an excuse... pretty unhappy and starting to avoid LHR when I have checked bags.
jridge is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:47 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,136
Originally Posted by jridge View Post
The rate at which my baggage is mishandled at LHR coming off AA is pretty much 100% lately. And my experience is that BA don't deliver it until just before EU penalties would kick in. Granted, my same-day connections are sometimes longer than average so that I can squeeze in a meeting, but I don't think that's an excuse... pretty unhappy and starting to avoid LHR when I have checked bags.
There are no time limits to EU penalties with luggage

If luggage is delayed, then the airline is liable to a maximum of XDR1131 for costs incurred
Often1 and rossmacd like this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:50 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,560
Originally Posted by jridge View Post
And my experience is that BA don't deliver it until just before EU penalties would kick in.
Huh? There are no EU penalties on baggage. Delayed baggage is governed by the Montreal Convention.
Often1 likes this.
Ldnn1 is online now  
Old Sep 5, 18, 6:09 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 5,489
Connected through LHR last month - no issues whatsoever. Granted my connection was 2+ hours, but it arrived on time at both finals. I will note that at TXL during checkin, the agent included with the 1W priority tag a "short connection LHR" tag in the bar code tag. Not sure that means that they consider 2 hour a tight connect on international, but it was what it was.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 6:28 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: OW Emerald
Posts: 1,376
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
There are no time limits to EU penalties with luggage
You are correct, I should have not said "EU penalties". BA have twice delivered the bag one day before I could claim it as lost.
jridge is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:06 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,580
Originally Posted by jridge View Post
You are correct, I should have not said "EU penalties". BA have twice delivered the bag one day before I could claim it as lost.
That is the time-frame from the Montreal Convention and applies equally in the UK, the remainder of the EU, the US, and most other nations.
Often1 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:07 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,956
Originally Posted by jridge View Post
You are correct, I should have not said "EU penalties". BA have twice delivered the bag one day before I could claim it as lost.
There aren't any penalties whether EU imposed or not. There is a payment limit as part of the Montreal Convention as payment when a bag is ultimately declared lost - after 21 days. BA and other airlines will also reimburse you for essential purchases of clothes and toiletries but again that is not a penalty.


OP The chances are your bag will have reached T5 before you get to T5 and clear security!
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:17 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: AA MM Platinum pro; OW sapphire, EK gold
Posts: 415
Don't worry about your bags - even if the flight is delayed. In my experience the bags usually make to the flight well before I make it to the gate!
dwugson is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 8:33 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: OW Emerald
Posts: 1,376
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
There aren't any penalties whether EU imposed or not. There is a payment limit as part of the Montreal Convention as payment when a bag is ultimately declared lost - after 21 days. BA and other airlines will also reimburse you for essential purchases of clothes and toiletries but again that is not a penalty.
I already said that I retract the phrase "EU penalties".
jridge is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 9:08 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 4,230
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Flying AA to LHR (Terminal 3) then connecting to BA (Terminal 5). 2 hour connection assuming AA arrives on time. Anyone have experience (good or bad) regarding luggage transfer? Same ticket. Thanks.
I have flown LAX-LHR-DUS (or some other destination on the Continent) every year for the past 30 years,. Only once did my bag fail to make the connection. It was delivered to the place where I was staying in Düsseldorf 2 days later.
QueenOfCoach is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread