FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Luggage Transfer AA to BA at LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1929014-luggage-transfer-aa-ba-lhr.html)

SBT Sep 4, 2018 10:16 pm

Luggage Transfer AA to BA at LHR

Flying AA to LHR (Terminal 3) then connecting to BA (Terminal 5). 2 hour connection assuming AA arrives on time. Anyone have experience (good or bad) regarding luggage transfer? Same ticket. Thanks.

thunderlounge Sep 4, 2018 10:37 pm

Not a problem. Happens every day.

fotographer Sep 5, 2018 12:56 am

when I checked luggage last time, no issue at all, You can also check with BA once you are there , they will tell you if your luggage has been scanned at LHR

mvoight Sep 5, 2018 1:04 am

I have never had a baggage transfer or connection issue at BA between AA and BA, though some people have complained about spending too much time in security. or the bus ride between terminals
If traveling to the UK, then you will clear immigration. Otherwise you just need to go through security.

mvoight Sep 5, 2018 1:07 am

Ooops Wrong window.

jridge Sep 5, 2018 1:33 am

Originally Posted by SBT (Post 30168591)
Flying AA to LHR (Terminal 3) then connecting to BA (Terminal 5). 2 hour connection assuming AA arrives on time. Anyone have experience (good or bad) regarding luggage transfer? Same ticket. Thanks.

The rate at which my baggage is mishandled at LHR coming off AA is pretty much 100% lately. And my experience is that BA don't deliver it until just before EU penalties would kick in. Granted, my same-day connections are sometimes longer than average so that I can squeeze in a meeting, but I don't think that's an excuse... pretty unhappy and starting to avoid LHR when I have checked bags.

Dave Noble Sep 5, 2018 1:47 am

Originally Posted by jridge (Post 30168919)
The rate at which my baggage is mishandled at LHR coming off AA is pretty much 100% lately. And my experience is that BA don't deliver it until just before EU penalties would kick in. Granted, my same-day connections are sometimes longer than average so that I can squeeze in a meeting, but I don't think that's an excuse... pretty unhappy and starting to avoid LHR when I have checked bags.

There are no time limits to EU penalties with luggage

If luggage is delayed, then the airline is liable to a maximum of XDR1131 for costs incurred

Ldnn1 Sep 5, 2018 1:50 am

Originally Posted by jridge (Post 30168919)
And my experience is that BA don't deliver it until just before EU penalties would kick in.

Huh? There are no EU penalties on baggage. Delayed baggage is governed by the Montreal Convention.

IADCAflyer Sep 5, 2018 5:09 am

Connected through LHR last month - no issues whatsoever. Granted my connection was 2+ hours, but it arrived on time at both finals. I will note that at TXL during checkin, the agent included with the 1W priority tag a "short connection LHR" tag in the bar code tag. Not sure that means that they consider 2 hour a tight connect on international, but it was what it was.

jridge Sep 5, 2018 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30168950)
There are no time limits to EU penalties with luggage

You are correct, I should have not said "EU penalties". BA have twice delivered the bag one day before I could claim it as lost.

Often1 Sep 5, 2018 6:06 am

Originally Posted by jridge (Post 30169337)
You are correct, I should have not said "EU penalties". BA have twice delivered the bag one day before I could claim it as lost.

That is the time-frame from the Montreal Convention and applies equally in the UK, the remainder of the EU, the US, and most other nations.

UKtravelbear Sep 5, 2018 6:07 am

Originally Posted by jridge (Post 30169337)

There aren't any penalties whether EU imposed or not. There is a payment limit as part of the Montreal Convention as payment when a bag is ultimately declared lost - after 21 days. BA and other airlines will also reimburse you for essential purchases of clothes and toiletries but again that is not a penalty.

OP The chances are your bag will have reached T5 before you get to T5 and clear security!

dwugson Sep 5, 2018 6:17 am

Don't worry about your bags - even if the flight is delayed. In my experience the bags usually make to the flight well before I make it to the gate!

jridge Sep 5, 2018 7:33 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30169444)
There aren't any penalties whether EU imposed or not. There is a payment limit as part of the Montreal Convention as payment when a bag is ultimately declared lost - after 21 days. BA and other airlines will also reimburse you for essential purchases of clothes and toiletries but again that is not a penalty.

I already said that I retract the phrase "EU penalties".

QueenOfCoach Sep 5, 2018 8:08 am

Originally Posted by SBT (Post 30168591)

I have flown LAX-LHR-DUS (or some other destination on the Continent) every year for the past 30 years,. Only once did my bag fail to make the connection. It was delivered to the place where I was staying in Düsseldorf 2 days later.