Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:30 pm

If she was African-American, this is one of my BFFs! It's all in her delivery, as she is statuesque in her heels and 5''11, and makes people smile!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:55 pm
C46

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Not having been there, I don't think I would have taken offense but somebody not accustomed to US carriers may have found it unusual (I recently had a flight attendant who called everybody "sweetie" and have walked into the F galley looking for water and been addressed "what's up babe?"). Informal / colloquial, perhaps bordering on unprofessional (could you imagine CX flight attendants doing this)? but not offensive.
I personally found CX crews kinda creepy/akward; just don't like to deal with people acting like servants or robots.

I'd rather have sombody call me 'love', 'honey', 'mate', etc. and maybe exchange some friendly banter with them. Life is too short, to not have some fun.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Anyone else think this has a bit of a "Penthouse Letters" quality to it?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
If this bothered you, then you have some growing up to do.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skunker
Next time just reply with "Promise?"
So funny you should say that, as I used that very line years ago in a similar situation with a delightful southern FA on a US Airways flight.

Seat belt sign went on for turbulence well before landing but I just wasn't going to be able to wait. I popped up and headed for the lav. The FA was putting things away in the galley as I passed through.

She whips her head around and looks at me and says, "Sweetie, the seat belt sign went on -- hurry up, or I'm going to have to spank you."

I replied, "Darlin' is that a promise?" and headed into the lav.

She laughed, I laughed and when I deplaned a while later she gave me a hug and thanked me for making her day.

IMO, the only problem here was the lady in front of the OP who just should have minded her own business.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:06 am
C46

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
IMO, the only problem here was the lady in front of the OP who just should have minded her own business.
Females minding their own business!?
5 years of marriage make me doubt the possibility of that concept.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by theshaun
It all sounds good natured to me.

The alternative is some power tripping FA breathe fire on you and we would have a very different post.
A breath of fresh air.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Anyone else think this has a bit of a "Penthouse Letters" quality to it?
Well, more like a failed attempt, but imagine the follow up if it ended on a mile high excursion on a 7M8. LOL
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
So funny you should say that, as I used that very line years ago in a similar situation with a delightful southern FA on a US Airways flight.

Seat belt sign went on for turbulence well before landing but I just wasn't going to be able to wait. I popped up and headed for the lav. The FA was putting things away in the galley as I passed through.

She whips her head around and looks at me and says, "Sweetie, the seat belt sign went on -- hurry up, or I'm going to have to spank you."

I replied, "Darlin' is that a promise?" and headed into the lav.

She laughed, I laughed and when I deplaned a while later she gave me a hug and thanked me for making her day.

Bless you! The only difference I'd have made is that I would have had my hairbrush out when you came back out and said " I always keep my promises"

I find it so sad that what was said by someone trying to be a bit playful is made into "unprofessional". As for people nor flying to be entertained, the biggest source of complaints in flying these days seems to be the IFE not working. Frankly the whole situation seems to have been blown out of all proportion, and for it to end up says more to me more about OP than her. I'd fly with her anywhere.

As for the woman in front, she'd have gone short shrift for eavesdropping and sticking her snout where it was not required.

Since I am assuming that all this took place in F, did she do PDBs?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Side topic but, which airlines in your opinion have the flirtiest FAs? Emirates is one I noted. The Asian ones definitely don't.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
First of all--OP felt embarrassed by the exchange.
I think the FA was attempting to be light-hearted. But her choice of words was poor, and a more appropriate way to jokingly admonish would be to say you would be reprimanded (or put on time-out). Was she flirting--who knows.

But--using the 'spanking' verbiage has the potential to be interpreted as sexual. That's why it is inappropriate for a business/customer situation.
I have sons the age of OP and I totally understand why he felt awkward.
The seat mate saying that 'she's your momma tonight"--that is outright piggish. And any of my 5 sons would agree with that. Not appropriate public comment amongst strangers and not particularly funny.
The female seat mate speaking up was a little excessive. But don't say piggish things in public if you don't want to get called out on it.
Go ahead and flame me. Lol.
No flames here, all that seems right on target to me. I would also add that the first interaction was a little inappropriate but the second interaction was well over the line.

I can tell from some of the comments that the "lecherous old weirdo" demographic I see a lot of in the front of the bus is well represented here. Just stop it, dudes. It's gross and my desire to not have to listen to your schtick is not "political correctness."
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Tim_AZ
I knew you were a parent by this point in your post. One thing I've learned over the years is that parents, especially single parents and those with young children, often forget how to talk to other adults. This results in becoming offended by things adults might say to each but not necessarily say in front of children. Not flaming, just making an observation.
I welcome your observation. But I am fairly certain that I know how to speak to other adults and do so frequently in the business world. I am not a single parent and I do not currently have young kids (6 kids ages 20-31).
I personally am not offended by what FA said. I do think that it was a poor choice of words to use with a customer.

The OP is a millennial age man. From my experience with millennials (including work training on differences dealing with millennial vs. boomers), OP was creeped out by someone roughly his mother's age saying they were going to spank him. No matter how light-heartedly it was intended, it made a customer feel awkward.

The older gentleman's comment was crude, especially since he did not know the OP.
Sometimes older folks need to realize that the world has changed, and what they think is funny is now considered the equivalent of making racist jokes.
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Check
No flames here, all that seems right on target to me. I would also add that the first interaction was a little inappropriate but the second interaction was well over the line.

I can tell from some of the comments that the "lecherous old weirdo" demographic I see a lot of in the front of the bus is well represented here. Just stop it, dudes. It's gross and my desire to not have to listen to your schtick is not "political correctness."
Were you wearing a facemask as you posted this?

Last edited by whimike; Sep 6, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by smith80678
Side topic but, which airlines in your opinion have the flirtiest FAs? Emirates is one I noted. The Asian ones definitely don't.
I would go with OS where I was once offered a private tour of the 777 crew rest. Unfortunately I was too awkward to accept back then - one of the big missed opportunities in life ;-)
But OS attendants have quite a couple of times asked where I was staying and mentioned where they would be staying.
Also once had a long chat with a VS FA who told me that this upper class cabin was fully crewed by FAs from the "Red Car Club" - which according to her was a special rewards program where Sir Richard personally gave cars to FAs that had provided personal services to him in... she stated that this was a particularly good crew to have fun with.
I had a "mail flirt" with an AA FA once where she wrote little notes on napkins and she kept changing my drink every couple of minutes.

No spanking, ever though
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
We just had a flight attendant be a hair snarky to people trying to get earphones from her (sponsored by Avis) when they had their own. I thought she was a bit rough but nothing out of the ordinary for FAs dealing with crazy PAX all day, but, he was annoyed because she didn't know his earphones only work through the iPhone lightning port. She (and I) are white, the pax, and another random pax next to him, were both mixed spanish/black/something like that. They both decided together that she was being racist. I rolled my eyes. I had just watched her be short to everyone else on the flight too that also had their own headphones. Needless to say... oy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.