SFO/MIA not a "transcon"?

Old Sep 4, 18, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
SFO/MIA not a "transcon"?

Flew SFO/MIA Sunday night seated in 12F (32B). Luckily it was a very light flight with the row to myself. In my experience on LAX/MIA flights Y has always been provisioned blankets in Y for red eyes. This time no blankets (even with a hoodie on the cabin was freezing cold) so I asked the FA if blankets had been placed on the a/c. He politely told me blankets are only put on "transcon" flights and SFO/MIA is not considered a "transcon." The flight goes from the west coast to the east coast so in my book that would be a "transcon." Even the FA thought not considering that route as a transcon was insane.
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Flew SFO/MIA Sunday night seated in 12F (32B). Luckily it was a very light flight with the row to myself. In my experience on LAX/MIA flights Y has always been provisioned blankets in Y for red eyes. This time no blankets (even with a hoodie on the cabin was freezing cold) so I asked the FA if blankets had been placed on the a/c. He politely told me blankets are only put on "transcon" flights and SFO/MIA is not considered a "transcon." The flight goes from the west coast to the east coast so in my book that would be a "transcon." Even the FA thought not considering that route as a transcon was insane.
Transcon is described by AA as JFK-LAX/SFO where they use the 321T. BOS-SFO/LAX may also count as a TC.
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7 View Post
Transcon is described by AA as JFK-LAX/SFO where they use the 321T. BOS-SFO/LAX may also count as a TC.
Well that's it. MIA/LAX is a transcon but MIA/SFO isn't. Currently MIA/LAX is a mix of 32B, (now) 7M8 and one 772 flight.
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:56 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
ORD agent closes priority lane after group 4

<deleted>
Old Sep 4, 18, 3:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
It is likely AA defines transcon differently in various circumstances. That flight is definitely transcon for AA RTW ticket purposes, but apparently not for blanket provisioning purposes. This, of course, assumes the FA was correct an d not merely offering an excuse.
Old Sep 4, 18, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

A guy on a plane to PHL made off with all of the airline's blankets.
Old Sep 4, 18, 4:33 pm

Programs: aa gold...lol......now EXP
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny View Post
if it was 9/1/18, I only took mine from 4J......MIA -PHL....it was my flight that got me to EXP albeit the AA targeted status offer way of getting status, so I'm not a true warrior ...lol
Uncle Nonny likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
Interesting follow-up question is - how about LAX/SFO-PHL or LAX-CLT? Technically they are east coast to west coast flights as are several other flights. I suppose AA defines transcon as their premium routes, which also applies for having lounge privileges.
Old Sep 4, 18, 6:00 pm

SFO-PHL not a transcon for AA. Got the lie flats but no blanket or pillow on my last flight. Still lucky to even get the lie flat seats as some planes used there are just reg recliners for “first” class.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny View Post
And it wasn't a theft. Right?
Uncle Nonny likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:16 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Part of the confusion is people (including, apparently, the FA) use "transcon" as shorthand for AA's Flagship Transcontinental product. Geographically speaking SFO-MIA, DCA-LAX, CLT-SEA, and the like are transcontinental routes, but among domestic routes only JFK-LAX/SFO are served exclusively by AA's Flagship product, as clearly spelled out on AA's website.

But I'm pretty sure the OP was well aware of all that
JDiver, Often1 and Geordie405 like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Interestingly last time I flew SFO-MIA red eye in J it came with the Casper bedding. I was surprised but it sounds like that may be normal?
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Well that's it. MIA/LAX is a transcon but MIA/SFO isn't.
Correct. Because LAX is on the Pacific Ocean, while SFO is on the SF Bay, with more "continent" to the west of SFO.
deeruck and Gullywhumper like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Just to clarify, it appears the OP was in Y.... and the FA should have mentioned premium transcon, not just transcon (obv SFO MIA is a transcon; just not a premium one according to AA). These days only JFK - SFO and JFK - LAX qualify. Not MIA - LAX and certainly not BOS-LAX (AA doesn't fly BOS-SFO anymore).

However, AA does provide some enhanced benefits on some of the non premium transcon flights. IE for MIA / SFO - in domestic F (usually a LAA 32B with AVOD) - this flight does receive the enhanced Casper bedding in that cabin - the same that you'd get for transatlantic J or South American routes (duvet and big pillow, no mattress). This route does not have lie flats. Also, as it's 2,200+ miles it also receives the ice cream sundae for dessert and the ~9:50p MIA to SFO flight features full dinner despite the late hour.

For MIA / LAX flights - things might have been different when there was a 77W with full three class service but AA has really reduced widebodies on this route over the last few years; and even downgraded the service from being considered a premium transcon (now it's normal domestic F service; no lounge access; etc).
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lds89 View Post
However, AA does provide some enhanced benefits on some of the non premium transcon flights. IE for MIA / SFO - in domestic F (usually a LAA 32B with AVOD) - this flight does receive the enhanced Casper bedding in that cabin - the same that you'd get for transatlantic J or South American routes (duvet and big pillow, no mattress). This route does not have lie flats. Also, as it's 2,200+ miles it also receives the ice cream sundae for dessert and the ~9:50p MIA to SFO flight features full dinner despite the late hour.
I was on the SFO-MIA redeye two months ago, and disappointingly there was no Casper bedding provided in F.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: