Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO/MIA not a "transcon"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by lds89
For MIA / LAX flights - things might have been different when there was a 77W with full three class service but AA has really reduced widebodies on this route over the last few years; and even downgraded the service from being considered a premium transcon (now it's normal domestic F service; no lounge access; etc).
Not accurate. While lounge access is gone, MIALAX still has the enhanced on-board service and better catering.

Not that I speak from experience, I haven't flown an AA plane in well over a year. How anybody flies that garbage over jetBlue Mint I don't know. FLL is a dump and in the middle of nowhere, but I deal.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan

yes, but LA is east of Reno (more like SSE) while SF is west of Reno
And SFO is 158 miles closer than LAX to HNL
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sfo-hnl-lax
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aacar
I was on the SFO-MIA redeye two months ago, and disappointingly there was no Casper bedding provided in F.
Maybe you just didn't see it. Ghosts and their bedding are not generally seen by humans
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Interesting follow-up question is - how about LAX/SFO-PHL or LAX-CLT? Technically they are east coast to west coast flights as are several other flights. I suppose AA defines transcon as their premium routes, which also applies for having lounge privileges.
None on LAX-RDU two nights ago
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I can't believe that people are so behind on understanding simple geography. The only three "cities" in the US are New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Other jurisdictions are to be known as "villages" and are to simply be thankful for scheduled air service on ratty PMUS aircraft, because without AA's generosity, travel between then would be by Conestoga wagon. Similarly, the 51st and 52nd states of "North Minnesota" and "Old Mexico" are simply domestic destinations; if asked for a passport to enter, call the fake officer's bluff.
“Flyover country, continued”.

When MIA-LAX had a 777-323ER it was a Flagship for all practical purposes, including lounge access. But all two class transcon now - including A332, 772, 763 (the A321T is three class Flagship Service) are pretty much standard “blanket only” (no pillow) Services. If they cater snything beyond that, consider yourself fortunate, IME.
arlflyer likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 23, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Free Agent
Try MIA-SEA in a 738.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Try MIA-SEA in a 738.
Try that after that 738 has been refurbished by Project Oasis.
PBIGuy, jcatman, AANYC1981 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nelsinho
Can't wait!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by nelsinho
While AA spent no time thinking about the horrific experience that Project Oasis (or Awaysis as I think @JDiver aptly referred to it as), the project name conversely sounds wonderful despite being so un-reflective of the actual experience for a 4+ hour flight.

The focus group must have been asked about the name of the project rather than the actual product.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The flight goes from the west coast to the east coast so in my book that would be a "transcon." Even the FA thought not considering that route as a transcon was insane.
It's transcon as defined for airline purposes. By the same token, SJU is considered an international destination.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:48 am

As is now evident "transcon" is a name for a "class" of service or maybe for features included in a service and has nothing to do with the geographic concept of "transcontinental." It is a marketing and not a geographical term. That would have seemed obvious from the start.
JonNYC and deeruck like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
As is now evident "transcon" is a name for a "class" of service or maybe for features included in a service and has nothing to do with the geographic concept of "transcontinental." It is a marketing and not a geographical term. That would have seemed obvious from the start.
For years I've heard flight crew refer to a flight from the East Coast to the West Coast (and both MIA and SFO sit on the coasts) as a "transcon." So no its not necessarily a "marketing term" in the industry sense. More of a question is AA too cheap to provision blankets in Y on a 2,500 mile overnight flight? Essentially the service in Y is the same on both MIA/LAX and MIA/SFO. At least for now both have some flights on the 32B.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I just flew MIA-LAX-MIA and there were blankets both ways. I'm booked on MIA-SFO-MIA next month, so we'll see how it compares. Does the 9:44PM departure get a meal as stated on the AA site and in the GDS?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Does the 9:44PM departure get a meal as stated on the AA site and in the GDS?
In MIA-SFO First (9:44pm departure), I have received comparable service to JFK-SFO business class, so I would assume coach would experience a similar service to the coach on JFK-SFO. This is just wishful thinking though.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:51 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Pretty much the same on UA and DL premium TCON service. For UA add SFO-BOS to the list.
B6 Mint service follows mostly the same script.
NOT AT ALL. B6 Mint covers many more flights/cities and is expanding.

Gregg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.