777 MCE middle or standard aisle?

Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
777 MCE middle or standard aisle?

At JAX for a small flight to Miami then a 777 to LAX. I got assigned freely an MCE middle seat in the middle of the plane... but I can change for free to an aisle (non MCE). My main question is... would you... and my other question is... do I still get free wine as a non paying MCE sitter? its a domestic flight.

Obviously I will ask the gate agent in Miami to upgrade me (JAX said they cannot) to an aisle or exit row MCE but no guarantees those still exist.

Thoughts ? Limited experience on American. Thanks in advance !
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
At JAX for a small flight to Miami then a 777 to LAX. I got assigned freely an MCE middle seat in the middle of the plane... but I can change for free to an aisle (non MCE). My main question is... would you... and my other question is... do I still get free wine as a non paying MCE sitter? its a domestic flight.

Obviously I will ask the gate agent in Miami to upgrade me (JAX said they cannot) to an aisle or exit row MCE but no guarantees those still exist.

Thoughts ? Limited experience on American. Thanks in advance !
If you choice a non MCE seat you will likely not be given a free drink. A lot depends on factors like your height (I would imagine a non MCE seat for someone 6'6'' on a longhaul would be pure torture) and your desire for a free drink. Also, how times do you think you will get up over a 5 hour flight.?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
To me it comes down to this - are you in an MCE "middle" seat in the Premium Economy section (seating layout 2-4-2) or are you in an MCE "middle" seat in the Economy section (seating layout 3-4-3)? I'd take a middle seat in 2-4-2, otherwise if it is in the regular economy section I'd take an aisle seat and pay the $7 for a drink.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Thanks. I’ve been assigned for free an MCE middle seat on a 3-4-3. But it might not matter anymore. The free economy economy aisle seat seems gone. Fingers crossed the extra legroom is worth being stuck in between two people.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Keep an eye on the seat map - it can change often.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Seat alerts on expertflyer are great for that
lds89 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I'd choose MCE for the legroom (I'm 6'). The aisle in a standard seat isn't much of an upgrade in the now 10 across seating, so that the aisles are very narrow, and you will be bumped by FAs, people and carts while sitting there.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:37 pm

There may be huge differences even on same aircraft types. MCE seats offer plenty of space for really tall people and changing seat isn’t advised.

As a non-paying MCE sitter you may not be offered free drinks.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by angelamartinusa
Sorry, no. that's not how the MCE free drinks benefit works. There's an entire thread on here where that very issue (of paying vs not paying getting free drinks ) is discussed.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...iquor-mce.html
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:39 am

There may be huge differences even on same aircraft types. MCE seats offer plenty of space for really tall people and changing seat isn’t advised.

Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by angelamartinusa

Eh, you already posted this exact same (incorrect) assertion 2 posts above...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Also keep an eye on the MCE seats or add an EF alert. As people clear the upgrades to J they're usually leaving the most desirable MCE seats open.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.