Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Refundable throwaway ticket for Precheck - JFK T8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

I have a LATAM flight departing JFK T8 coming up soon, and LATAM does not support Precheck (which I have). I'm thinking of purchasing a refundable ticket on another airline, solely for using Precheck, then cancelling it and getting a refund after I go through TSA.

The airlines at JFK T8 which support Precheck are American, Finnair, and Cathay Pacific. Finnair and Cathay have cancellation fees ($75 and $150, respectively), so those options are out. American's refund policy says this:

You have up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase for a refund if you booked at least 2 days prior to departure. The 24-hour refund policy applies to all ticket types, but you have to cancel the trip to get a refund.
My questions are:
  • The above AA policy is the 24 hour policy, but if I purchase a fully refundable ticket, I should still be okay, right?
  • Does AA have any cancellation fee, even on refundable tickets?
  • Am I correct that my only options are the T8 airlines? Could I get through TSA at T8 using a BP from some other terminal? That would give me more options for the refundable ticket.
  • And finally, my LATAM flight is an award flight booked with AAdvantage miles. Will that give any grief, such as if American notices that I'm purchasing a refundable ticket departing on the same day as my LATAM award booked with AAdvantage miles?
Thanks for any advice, flyers.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

This question is about American Airlines cancellations and refund policies. Please follow this thread as it moves to the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

I'll just add that PreCheck is not guaranteed, so there is a possibility, albeit slight, that you will not get the PreCheck designation on your AA boarding pass if you were to go that route.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I cannot think of a lower reward proposition. Precheck is fine but it isnt like all this expended effort results in you getting to fly private.

I occasionally go thru non precheck despite having it as I'm traveling with companions who dont have it. Lived to tell the tale.
enviroian and MCI777 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Two things: if you have two flights in the AA system which conflict then the system is likely to catch it and cancel at least one of them; AA's T&C explicitly forbid purchasing a ticket solely to obtain airport services so, if they decide to act, you run the risk that the ticket will not be refunded at a minimum.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Go through regular security. You'll be fine.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
You could buy the AA ticket via Expedia as they allow cancellation within 24 hours even if purchased day of (although technically they want you to call them 2 hours prior to departure or more so they can uncheck you in and void the ticket)
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
As already noted, it is specifically against the AA Conditions of Carriage to purchase a ticket solely to gain access to airport facilities. Don't do it. My opinion.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This is one of the craziest threads I’ve read.

All that legwork and T&C violations to avoid not taking off your shoes and pulling out your laptop?
etiene and GTITAN like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Apparently you have lots of free time to think about this dilemma, get there 10 minutes earlier and you'll be fine.
etiene, Gabdawg and levistrauss like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On any given day, it is possible that the regular line could be so much longer than Pre-Check that one could conceiveably book, issue, and refund a ticket in less than the time you save going through Pre-Check. But, as a general proposition, the time you spend on your ticketing fraud won't make up for the time you spend in line.

Add to that AA's aversion to ticket fraud and you may find the balance tipping towards doing things the normal way.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Definitely one of the mind bonging ideas I’ve seen on FT.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Definitely one of the mind bonging ideas I’ve seen on FT.
There was one other day that topped it; finding someone to fly the first leg of your itinerary to avoid paying a change fee.

That made this look like a great idea by comparison.
etiene, mmff, truthknown and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
There was one other day that topped it; finding someone to fly the first leg of your itinerary to avoid paying a change fee.

That made this look like a great idea by comparison.
I remember one which topped that: remember the guy that inquired about having his family naturalized into another country in order to avoid paying the reciprocal visa fee that some country was going to charge them as US citizens?
windscar, AA100k and JonNYC like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Given that AA specifically states tickets purchased for fraudulent purposes, including accessing airport facilities, are prohibited AA could just decline to technd a fully refundable gate. Is it likely? No. Can they do it? Yes.

The FT Rules prohibit this type of discussion (how to violate airline T&C or C of C would be included), we will close this thread. (And yes, AA does read here.)

writerguyfl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.