Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Officially upgraded, but left in Coach

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was passed over even though they said they come on the plane and get mebecause the agent said she didn’t have time to collect the co-pay (I prevailed but not without a fight (The gate agent came board to get someone else who did you get a co-pay, two spots below me).
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:59 pm

Oh AA. Love me some upgrades but the crews are seriously terrible sometimes. Flew F recently and for meals the FA just asked if we wanted
cold or hot lunch. Asked her what they were and said just shrugged and said a salad and something Mexican and walked away before I could even say anything else. Ended up getting an enchilada, which wasn’t bad but the entitled and attitude ruined the flight. I guess her game of candy crush was more important that passengers =p
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Something similar just happened to a passenger at PHL just now. His BP beeped and the GA told him "I'm sorry I gave away your seat". Apparently he'd been upgraded but got his new BP on his phone, not physically at the gate, so the GA gave away his F seat.
I have heard of this happening before, its dumb because the screens and the app say get your new boarding pass at a kiosk or phone, you should not have to present yourself in person at the gate to get your upgrade BP.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
D+0 demands manifesting themselves again.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I was on flight today with open seats in F
Does you mean open at start of boarding or that it went out with open seats?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Probably cos I was already onboard so there is little control who gets the seat
OP left this critical fact out until asked.

He boarded and he lost the UG. The GA was entirely correct if fishing OP up to F would have meant delaying the departure.

As always, if you are near the top of the list and F has not boarded full, ask the GA whether you should wait or whether the GA will commit to come find you if space opens up.

Does not trouble me at all.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Often1

He boarded and he lost the UG. The GA was entirely correct if fishing OP up to F would have meant delaying the departure.

As always, if you are near the top of the list and F has not boarded full, ask the GA whether you should wait or whether the GA will commit to come find you if space opens up.

On a personal note I agree with you that I preferred the old system where: a) if you board you lose the upgrade; b) there were about 5 different ways that I, as a Platinum, could get an upgrade before an EXP by knowing the system. BUT, THAT ISN'T THE CURRENT SYSTEM. Your preferences are certainly interesting just like mine are. But you are wrong about the rules. "Fishing from coach" is the current system.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by no1cub17
This guy was extremely understanding though, hardly complained at all. Handled it way better than I would've! I guess this is the good thing about not clearing upgrades anymore is we never have to worry about missing an upgrade!
You can be extremely understanding but still hold firm when they've screwed up. Sounds like this GA gave endless excuses in hope that the customer would eventually accept one of them and move on.

In my experience, if you call them on their bluff, ask for escalation, or persist (all in a polite/professional manner) reason and what is correct will prevail, even if it means inconveniencing a standby CK.

In other news - I lost AA status this year. However, I still have a bunch of 500 mile upgrades in my account. I asked nicely in MIA at a Rebooking Center, and somehow I was placed on the UG list and cleared the UG. 500 mile upgrades were deducted from my account. I sat next to an empty F seat, of 2 empties in F. Two loud flight attendants (who were in window seats behind one another, and not next to one another) who tried to jam their luggage above their seats also took 2 F seats and there were still 2 empties after that!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:38 pm

Nothing will delay departures, especially on elite-heavy routes, like a system where elites pining for upgrades will have a good reason to board at the last possible second.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by lobo411
Nothing will delay departures, especially on elite-heavy routes, like a system where elites pining for upgrades will have a good reason to board at the last possible second.
It would seem, from your quote, that you are a young flyer. About 20 years ago you had to wait outside if you wanted your upgrade. I used to joke with the GA's in Dallas that they should install some pews (church benches) because every flight had about 10 people standing around "praying for upgrades." In those days, they didn't say "upgrades are checked in." They just said "no more upgrades" and we all got onto the plane. And it still left on time.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP.
I'm sorry but reporting does nothing. I had an FA tell me to '.... off' and all i got was an apology from AA. she still works at LAX.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:50 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I wonder if there is a glitch in the system that causes a delay between the the app and the agents computer.

A couple of of months ago I was flying SFO-SLC-CLT on Delta. My flight from SFO-SLC was delayed and we parked at the gate just as the flight to CLT was in the final stages of the boarding process. The app deleted my boarding pass for the SLC-CLT flight and then moved me on to a different flight. I got to the gate as the flight was still boarding and asked for a boarding pass as mine had been deleted and it shows I wasn’t scheduled on that flight.

The agent was perplexed because she said she never deleted anyone’s seats. Sure enough when she pulled up my reservation it said I was no longer scheduled on that flight and she had to add me back on.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Happened to me just a few times. One time I received notice of seat change/last minute upgrade after I boarded, went to my seat only to find a uniformed employee, to which they responded I "was mistaken" even though the app showed my newly assigned seat. Didn't pursue since Union rules encourage the deplaning of anyone questioning. I know, I know! (As in the past), purely "anecdotal", despite having screenshots of the info online. Complained afterwards. AA is watching, but purely subscribe to the "fake news" argument.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager

Wrong as usual.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rumboj

I would not hesitate to complain and report. Doing nothing changes nothing.
Doing something and doing nothing have same effect: nothing. That’s what all of the mergers have given us: 4 large airlines that have no fear of anything because each dominates certain cities with no market forces to keep them in check from doing whatever they want. Thus, they continue to do whatever they want on a fairly regular basis with no fear of consequences.

Cheers,
TG
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.