FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Executive platinum (challenge) options? (to merge) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1928163-executive-platinum-challenge-options-merge.html)

aidach Aug 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Executive platinum (challenge) options? (to merge)

For years I was Executive Platinum flying business class on international and economy for domestic flights, however I changed jobs in 2015 and lost status. I just accepted a new role at a new company where I will be traveling a lot, both domestic and internationally (same situation business class twice a quarter for international travel and economy for domestic flights every other week).

I assumed I could just call American and ask for an Exec Plat challenge and I could get it in a few weeks and easily maintain it for the foreseeable future, however when I called them I was told there is no such thing as a challenge for EXP.

Any ideas on the best way to move forward?

The only options I can think of are:

Call AA again, this time trying to talk to the exec plat desk instead of the normal desk (which was my first attempt at getting a EXP challenge).

I can see if my travel department will go to bat with me with American (this is a little awkward since I am a new employee but it may be worth a try since I will be travel so much).

I know there is a Platinum challenge which will be the route I take if nothing else works out, but it will be difficult to hit EXP by the end of the year.

Any other thoughts or experiences that have worked would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your responses!

enpremiere Aug 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Congratulations on the job!

There are invites for Executive Platinum challenges but these usually very much targeted.

With a Platinum challenge that is officially available, you could jump-start your way to Executive Platinum stardom.

SeeBuyFly Aug 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by aidach (Post 30149706)
however when I called them I was told there is no such thing as a challenge for EXP.

The reason they told you that is that officially there is no such thing as a challenge for EXP. (I've not heard about the invites before, but anyway there isn't anything you can do about it.)

ACSBill Aug 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 30149732)
The reason they told you that is that officially there is no such thing as a challenge for EXP. (I've not heard about the invites before, but anyway there isn't anything you can do about it.)

There are absolutely EP challenges, however, you cannot readily request and get like gold/platinum. This situation OP presented is a time when it could very well be possible.

FlytheTail Aug 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk. You're encouraged to search for threads on the same or similar topic. Here's perhaps the most appropriate thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html

ACSBill Aug 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by aidach (Post 30149706)

Call AA again, this time trying to talk to the exec plat desk instead of the normal desk (which was my first attempt at getting a EXP challenge).

You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service at 800-882-8880. They "manage" the AAdvantage accounts and could have options. If you call a res desk, regular or EP, they will not be able to offer anything and could very well not be knowledgeable about any potential challenge. If you do not have much recent history with the program though, like mentioned earlier, might have to do more of a stair step method to get up to EP.

aidach Aug 30, 2018 3:44 pm

ACSBill, thanks for clarifying that calling the EP desk won't help. I did call the normal AAdvantage desk (not the res desk), the response was at this time there is no executive platinum challenge, he believed it was only done through promotions but if I could prove status on another airline there may be an option. He then said he would make a note on my account.

Doing a Platinum Challenge is certainly worth while, and I will go that route if no other options come available, but it would be great to shorten the process.

Zacnlinc Aug 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Take the Platinum Challenge and strive for PP. Sounds like you will exceed Platinum status but fall short of EXP.

I recall a few years ago being offered Platinum challenge and it just out to be a very busy year and I ended up with EXP unexpectedly. The bonus miles from status and premium cabin purchases took me over to even 150K threshold too.

enviroian Aug 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc (Post 30150161)
Take the Platinum Challenge and strive for PP. Sounds like you will exceed Platinum status but fall short of EXP.

I recall a few years ago being offered Platinum challenge and it just out to be a very busy year and I ended up with EXP unexpectedly. The bonus miles from status and premium cabin purchases took me over to even 150K threshold too.

If you ask hard enough they will allow you gold status while you during your plat status. They did for me two years ago after I begged them.

Who knows but it's worth a shot.

Often1 Aug 30, 2018 6:24 pm

If your employer is a corporate customer, e.g. has a contract with AA, it may very well have EXP status to dole out at its discretion (in limited numbers). Whether it has any left and whether it will expend one on you is a matter between you and your employer. Note that this is not a challenge, it is simply have the status conferred.

If not EXP, ask about other lesser status levels as well.

catcher1 Aug 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by ACSBill (Post 30149755)
You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service at 800-882-8880. They "manage" the AAdvantage accounts and could have options. If you call a res desk, regular or EP, they will not be able to offer anything and could very well not be knowledgeable about any potential challenge. If you do not have much recent history with the program though, like mentioned earlier, might have to do more of a stair step method to get up to EP.

My wife called Customer Service, was lucky to get a high-up agent, received an EXPlat challenge, and was successful in the (three-month) challenge. And she was given EXPlat status during the challenge.

MathMusic Aug 31, 2018 9:09 am

If you have a corporate travel coordinator, they may be able to get you a challenge to EXP depending on how big your company is. My corporate travel coordinator got me gifted platinum status by asking AA nicely when I called her to ask about any corporate challenge options.

CFM3RD Jan 4, 2020 3:00 pm

Another factor to consider -- when going international - especially on Biz -- look at flying on One World Carriers. The reason is you're credited EQD's based on distance. -- I flew QR DFW-DOH-BKK in biz last year. Since I was Plat - + Biz Class -- it was a lot of miles and the EQDs were higher than my actual cost of the tkt.

Worth a look, if you have control over which carrier.

Happy 2020.

Mwenenzi Jan 4, 2020 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by CFM3RD (Post 31909160)
Another factor to consider -- when going international - especially on Biz -- look at flying on One World Carriers. The reason is you're credited EQD's based on distance. -- I flew QR DFW-DOH-BKK in biz last year. Since I was Plat - + Biz Class -- it was a lot of miles and the EQDs were higher than my actual cost of the tkt.

Worth a look, if you have control over which carrier.

The post before yours was Sept 1 2018.
That is ~16 months ago.

There is a master challenge thread