FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Back to Back Itin - Irregular Operations Protection? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1927905-back-back-itin-irregular-operations-protection.html)

jpschoubert Aug 29, 2018 9:45 am

Back to Back Itin - Irregular Operations Protection?

Please excuse if not in the right forum - please redirect. Very quick hypothetical (even though technically violation of carrier rules)....If I have two R/T back to back tickets that magically connect at a hub city (same carrier - separate PNRs of course) and Flight 1 is delayed, Flight 2 is missed, is it a responsibility or a courtesy of the airline to accommodate you and get you Flight 2's destination (CDG in example below)?
Flight 1 - CLT to JFK on AA
Flight 2 - JFK to CDG on AA
and return...

Thanks

Often1 Aug 29, 2018 10:56 am

The exact details matter, so don't rely on nypotheticals before making a decision. There are also some misconceptions in your post.

But, the bottom line is that AA does protect across separate tickets where what would have been the MCT is met. Thus, in this particular example, presuming MCT would be met, AA would rebook you to CDG. No other carrier I am aware of does this, although you may find a sympathetic agent who may rebook, may rebook for a fee, or generally try to be helpful.

As a specific note, you may of course book separate tickets into a single PNR and that is often a way of avoiding the "no protection" problem on other carriers.

LondonElite Aug 29, 2018 11:00 am

As a very general rule, on separate tickets you are on your own. AA is a notable exception.

jpschoubert Aug 29, 2018 11:26 am

Yes let me add some additional context - Non-stop CLT-CDG on AA was $1,300, R/T constructed this way via NYC was $600. The MCTs are widely met, clearly just a financial play. My fear was being stuck in NYC. Thanks

LondonElite Aug 29, 2018 11:30 am

MCTs on separate tickets are meaningless. As noted above, AA is an exception to the general rule of ‘too bad, so sad’ on separate tickets.

swag Aug 29, 2018 1:53 pm

While AA will protect you on the connection, they will not check bags through on separate tickets. If you'll have checked bags, make sure you allow time to claim them at JFK and then re-check.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html

Edit to add: this is considered end-on-end ticketing (not back to back) and is not prohibited by AA rules.

jpschoubert Sep 7, 2018 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 30144849)
While AA will protect you on the connection, they will not check bags through on separate tickets. If you'll have checked bags, make sure you allow time to claim them at JFK and then re-check.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html

Edit to add: this is considered end-on-end ticketing (not back to back) and is not prohibited by AA rules.

Thanks Swag - No checked luggage and TSA pre if they shame measure & confiscate my bag at boarding and have to go to bag claim at JFK - Have a 2 hrs+ connect time..

MSPeconomist Sep 7, 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30144098)
As a very general rule, on separate tickets you are on your own. AA is a notable exception.

When I've asked DL this question, as a top tier elite, I've been reassured that I would be taken care of. I've used this once or twice. YMMV.

LondonElite Sep 7, 2018 11:33 pm

You need to think about this differently. If flight 1 is cancelled, how do you expect get to Paris?

jpschoubert Dec 18, 2018 10:43 am

True - Back up would have been to cry and pray they stick me on the CLT-CDG nonstop leaving later. For the sake of the story - this worked just fine, and got to enjoy the Ryder Cup in Paris!
Thank you all

guv1976 Dec 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30181107)
You need to think about this differently. If flight 1 is cancelled, how do you expect get to Paris?

In this particular case it makes no difference whether Flight 1 is cancelled on day of departure, or if it is simply seriously delayed. In either case, AA policy is to protect the traveler as if he were on a single ticket.

Often1 Dec 18, 2018 12:54 pm

AA protects across its own tickets as well as to & from OW as a matter of written policy.

ikwia Dec 19, 2018 3:12 pm

I had to REALLY argue with AA about a different, but in some ways related, situation. Long story short -- I had 2 round trip non-refundable tickets from A to B and back, each leaving on Sunday and returning on Friday. The first Friday return was canceled due to weather, and rescheduled for Saturday. The Saturday flight was canceled as well (this was during the ice storm in DFW several years ago). I called and told them just to cancel and refund the return leg of the first trip, which they did without an issue. But when I asked about having the first leg of the second ticket canceled and refunded, I got the whole "they are separate tickets, you are responsible for being there, we have no responsibility unless the segments are all part of the same itinerary" story. After several calls and speaking with multiple supervisors, they made a "one time exception" and issued a voucher for the value of the outbound leg of the second ticket. And this was as EXP with that status for 10 consecutive years or so. So I'm not sure if there's been a change in policy or something, but beware.

USFlyerUS Dec 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 30554397)
I had to REALLY argue with AA about a different, but in some ways related, situation. Long story short -- I had 2 round trip non-refundable tickets from A to B and back, each leaving on Sunday and returning on Friday. The first Friday return was canceled due to weather, and rescheduled for Saturday. The Saturday flight was canceled as well (this was during the ice storm in DFW several years ago). I called and told them just to cancel and refund the return leg of the first trip, which they did without an issue. But when I asked about having the first leg of the second ticket canceled and refunded, I got the whole "they are separate tickets, you are responsible for being there, we have no responsibility unless the segments are all part of the same itinerary" story. After several calls and speaking with multiple supervisors, they made a "one time exception" and issued a voucher for the value of the outbound leg of the second ticket. And this was as EXP with that status for 10 consecutive years or so. So I'm not sure if there's been a change in policy or something, but beware.

Why didn't you just cancel the second ticket outright and rebook the return on the first ticket for the return flight on your second ticket? That would have left the second ticket fully intact to be used on a future itinerary. Then, ask for a $200 voucher to cover your IRROPS issues (assuming they weren't both weather-related).

FlyingEgghead Dec 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30144225)
MCTs on separate tickets are meaningless. As noted above, AA is an exception to the general rule of ‘too bad, so sad’ on separate tickets.

If not by MCT, how does AA determine whether to protect on separate tickets? Surely they wouldn't, if you allowed only 1 minute between flights?