Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The case of my cancelled flight

A while back I booked the following itinerary:

Jan 19: AA3346 PBC-DFW 0749/1044
Jan 20: AA1113 DFW-SJC 0920/1101

I have now received a change notification by e-mail and my booking is only showing the DFW-SJC sector.

I have checked Kayak and the AA flight from PBC is no longer for sale (also one day before and after), so obviously it's been canned.

Since it would appear that AA is no longer flying out of PBC, what are my chances of getting them to book me on UA4087 to IAH and then AA metal from IAH to the Bay Area?

I don't fancy making the trek up to MEX, which presumably would be at my own expense.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
You don't know if you don't ask but more likely they'll just grant your request for a refund and you can then book the United flight
tbrein likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

As you and I suspected, they are only offering the original $170 back, leaving me to pay $297 for a UA flight to SJC, losing my prepaid hotel in Dallas and paying out for an extra night in the Bay Area.

Alternative is flying me from MEX (transport from PBC at own expense), getting me into DFW to late to do anything on the planned layover.

Thouroughly shAAfted. Worth a HUCA and speaking to a day-shift manager?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Ok - I now have 2 options (I've given up the day in Dallas in favour of getting to the Bay Area asap):

#1 : Rebook from MEX with AA.

1415 MEX-DFW 1654
1840 DFW-SJC 2016

This would involve a 2-hour bus from PBC-MEX, at my own risk of delays and missing the flight from MEX. Bus options are 0700 or 0900.

Cost to me: $16 for the bus.

#2 : Cancel AA and book UA:

0805 PBC-IAH 1027
1250 IAH-DEN 1419
1850 DEN-SJC 2031

Cost to me: $130 price difference for UA flight.

I have also checked flights to SFO & OAK and there's nothing better.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The most direct routing is the best one, in your case you have a 3 part flight no matter how you look at it. No knowing the reliability and punctuality of the bus service, I would much rather prefer to have everything under one ticket in case of problems, so the UA would be my choice. The bus, while cheaper, has the highest risk associated with it, if there is a breakdown, flat tire, mechanical, and you are late to arrive MEX, AA can cancel the flight as they consider you a no show. Unless you can arrive a day earlier and spend the night in MEX prior to the flight.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The risk associated with the bus was one thing I had thought of and you're absolutely right. I had already decided that if I were to take the bus option, it would be the 0700 due to associated risks.

Arriving the night before is not really an option as I only have 2 days in Puebla and this cluster has already cost me a day of my trip.

I think I'm probably just going to take the UA option, although it's a rat of a day's flying and more out-of-pocket expense.

Whichever way you cut it, I've been royally shafted and I'm less than impressed with AA's handling of this. What are the chances that they'll throw a few thousand miles at me to shut me up?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I guess the other option is to have an extra day in Puebla, travel up to MEX in the evening and take the early morning direct UA MEX-SFO, on the day I would have been flying DFW-SJC.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I guess the other option is to have an extra day in Puebla, travel up to MEX in the evening and take the early morning direct UA MEX-SFO, on the day I would have been flying DFW-SJC.
That sounds like the best plan to me. Cuts out a stop and less risk with the evening positioning. And a night in Mexico should be a lot cheaper than a night in the Bay Area.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

In the end I went for a slightly different solution.

I have now ended up with:

19 Jan: 0805 PBC-IAH 1027
20 Jan: 0940 IAH-SJC 1158

This gets me out of PBC only a few minutes later, preserves my layover day (I love 23-hour layovers - they give a chance to break up travel days and see a new place at no cost), and gets me to SJC only an hour later. Extra out-of-pocket cost is virtually nothing, factoring in cheaper layover accommodation.

The only difference is my bonus day is in Houston instead of Dallas. As I've been to Houston before, I'll probably grab a rental car and buzz down to Galveston.

When life gives you lemons...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Sorry guys! I just realised how alarming this thread heading could be! I should have put "disappearing booking" or "disappearing ticket".

Mods, please change.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Sorry guys! I just realised how alarming this thread heading could be! I should have put "disappearing booking" or "disappearing ticket".

Mods, please change.
True, in the end you where affected by a canceled route, not a disappearing flight as you titled it.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
True, in the end you where affected by a canceled route, not a disappearing flight as you titled it.
Exactly - was a bit insensitive of me after MH370 and all that. It was totally without intent.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you and I suspected, they are only offering the original $170 back, leaving me to pay $297 for a UA flight to SJC, losing my prepaid hotel in Dallas and paying out for an extra night in the Bay Area.
I don't understand why you booked a prepaid a hotel in Dallas already for January. Unless there's a special event going on there then, I don't see why it should be necessary to book prepaid that far ahead.

AA historically does late December schedule changes only around the end of September / beginning of October, and sometimes those schedule changes are very major. So even if you couldn't have predicted the route being cancelled outright, you should have known that the schedule might change so much (perhaps the schedule dropping that day of the week, for example) that the Dallas hotel would no longer work for you. And it's not yet late September, and your flight is even later than late December.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't understand why you booked a prepaid a hotel in Dallas already for January. Unless there's a special event going on there then, I don't see why it should be necessary to book prepaid that far ahead.

AA historically does late December schedule changes only around the end of September / beginning of October, and sometimes those schedule changes are very major. So even if you couldn't have predicted the route being cancelled outright, you should have known that the schedule might change so much (perhaps the schedule dropping that day of the week, for example) that the Dallas hotel would no longer work for you. And it's not yet late September, and your flight is even later than late December.
As it worked out, the Dallas hotel is actually cancelable.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well, AA is now sending me a $100 voucher, valid for one year from the date of issue, which seems a fair enough resolution.

I assume that this means I have to make a booking within one year, but not necessarily travel within one year from now?

For example, I could make a booking in August 2019 for a flight in, say, January 2020?
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.