Award Ticket Rerouting Question

Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Award Ticket Rerouting Question

Before I call, looking for some input on approaching this issue.

I was able to book two award tickets in F on AA from LAX to LHR using AA miles. The routing is LAS-LAX-LHR-FCO. The last segment is on BA.

I want to change the routing to SAN-LAX-LHR-FCO. There are two award F seats available on the SAN-LAX flight.

Is this going to be a problem?

Additional facts, some of which may even be relevant: If I cancel the existing ticket, I assume the 2 award tickets in F between LAX and LHR are very unlikely to go back into inventory and I don't want to lose those seats.

When booked, the LAS-LAX flight left a 3:18 lay-over at LAX. Due to scheduling changes, that lay-over is now 4:50 [yuck].

If I can't change LAS to SAN, can I at least drop the LAS-LAX flight and just fly out of LAX?

I am Executive Platinum.

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:31 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Answer to the last one is an easy "yes" by rule -- dropping the first segment, so long as it doesn't change the award (it doesn't) is definitely no problem. See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ancel-etc.html

As for swapping LAS for SAN, I really do think you can call and just change that without risking losing the other segments, but just be clear with the agent that you want to make the change only if you can do so without affecting the rest of the flights. If you get someone who doesn't understand, call back. As EXP there are no fees for any of this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with AA. Outbound flight changed from LAS to SAN with no problems and no fees.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I see you got this handled, but I am trying to get the logic in this. Due to an extra 1 1/2 hour connection time at LAX, you are now originating in SAN instead of LAS?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:59 pm

OP is EXP, so his/her request would be accommodated, irrespective of the flight time change. EXP don't pay fees to change award tickets and AA can make routing/segment changes without having to release the inventory OP already had.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I see you got this handled, but I am trying to get the logic in this. Due to an extra 1 1/2 hour connection time at LAX, you are now originating in SAN instead of LAS?
Well, there might have been another reason as well . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.