Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best routing PHX>BCN for biz class experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best routing PHX>BCN for biz class experience?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm flying there over Thanksgiving.

DFW - LHR on AA
LHR- BCN on BA

saver J.

Coming back bcn-mad-ord-dfw all IB saver J
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Austin787
Another option: PHX-LAX-JFK-BCN. You will have a flat bed on the LAX-JFK-BCN segments.
That is a fun route idea and definitely would be up there for 'best biz experience'. I checked Matrix and found 0600 LAX-JFK, connecting to 1740 JFK-BCN.

There is one small complication though; with that early time, OP would need to go PHX-LAX the night before and I don't know if that can be accomplished on a single ticket. I have no issues going the night before (I usually find better J fares out of LAX that way), but I don't know if OP would want to. Plus, it isn't exactly cheaper, and it is adding a second stop just to avoid PHX-ORD in domestic F.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I'd do PHX-LAX-LHR-BCN to maximize your time on a 773 with a bed on a 10.5 hour overnight flight.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Given that this is FT, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a PHX-LAX-HKG-LHR-BCN routing. Practical, no, good value, no, but a lot of business class flying and lounging
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I'd do PHX-LAX-LHR-BCN to maximize your time on a 773 with a bed on a 10.5 hour overnight flight.
Actually I'd avoid LHR with AA only because of the Terminal change at LHR. What works best for me is to take the latest flight possible as then I do sleep as it is the "normal" time that I would get to bed. Connecting a T5 means that I could be in BCN fairly late on in the day and thus go to bed properly. As someone said it is a matter of taste. For me getting the direct flight to LHR from PHX and a two hour connection to BCN is the best. I am not sure what Business Experience means - inter-Europe would mean Club Europe which is not Business Seating in the US sense but for 90 minutes or so I'd do that. The thought of traipsing around ORD or DFW with all the possiblity of missed connections does not appeal to me

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Sep 9, 2018 at 5:23 am
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Actually I'd avoid LHR with AA only because of the Terminal change at LHR. What works best for me is to take the latest flight possible as then I do sleep as it is the "normal" time that I would get to bed. Connecting a T5 means that I could be in BCN fairly late on in the day and thus go to bed properly. As someone said it is a matter of taste. For me getting the direct flight to LHR from PHX and a two hour connection to BCN is the best. I am not sure what Business Experience means - inter-Europe would mean Club Europe which is not Business Seating in the US sense but for 90 minutes or so I'd do that. The thought of traipsing around ORD or DFW with all the possiblity of missed connections does not appeal to me
Actually, LHR-BCN leaves out of Heathrow T3, not T5. So there is no terminal change necessary with AA-BA in this case.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Actually, LHR-BCN leaves out of Heathrow T3, not T5. So there is no terminal change necessary with AA-BA in this case.
You are absolutely correct - I'd forgotten that and there was me having arrived at T3 from BCN but the other day.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had no idea and thought I'd have to shuffle it over to 5.

well I've never connected at LHR in my life I hope it's not a big deal. I have 5 hours to kill before my BCN flight. Do I clear customs and immigration then go through security again and start all over?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I had no idea and thought I'd have to shuffle it over to 5.

well I've never connected at LHR in my life I hope it's not a big deal. I have 5 hours to kill before my BCN flight. Do I clear customs and immigration then go through security again and start all over?
You'll be fine. You do not need to clear immigration, just follow the connecting flights signs. The good news is that as an AA EXP, T3 has the best selection of lounges to check out during a long layover. It has 3 F Lounges (AA, BA, and CX) as well as the QF lounge. The CX F Lounge is very favorably reviewed by many, although I haven't had a chance to check it out yet personally. BA has a champagne bar of sorts, which is nice.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
You'll be fine. You do not need to clear immigration, just follow the connecting flights signs. The good news is that as an AA EXP, T3 has the best selection of lounges to check out during a long layover. It has 3 F Lounges (AA, BA, and CX) as well as the QF lounge. The CX F Lounge is very favorably reviewed by many, although I haven't had a chance to check it out yet personally. BA has a champagne bar of sorts, which is nice.
oh, cool thanks for the info. I normally use the AA lounge in 3 for my departing flight back to the USA. I've never tried the CX lounge and will give it a try. A shower will be very welcome.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Explorist Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver
Not sure when you are looking at going, however PHX-LHR on AA metal (772) might be best when it starts next March, crap lounges in PHX and good ones in LHR on the layover to BCN.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Actually I'd avoid LHR with AA only because of the Terminal change at LHR
The T3-T5 transfer is not the end of the world, IMO.
With enough connection time, the T3-T5 bus ride has never bothered me and I don't consider it a reason to avoid LHR on AA-BA itineraries.
Personal preferences.

Not that it matters in this case since it would be a T3-T3 connection
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
The T3-T5 transfer is not the end of the world, IMO.
With enough connection time, the T3-T5 bus ride has never bothered me and I don't consider it a reason to avoid LHR on AA-BA itineraries.
Personal preferences.

Not that it matters in this case since it would be a T3-T3 connection
In fairness, I am prejudiced against them. I arrived a couple of months ago on AA 134 (I think) from LAX. After a day of cancellations and delays with no explanations, we were then stuck on this enormous 777 in J. Like a fool, I agreed when I should have asked to be put on a BA flight. I don't care about seats and hard products, but I'm very hot on service. The crew on our flight were geriatric and more detached and lacklustre than I have ever known. We arrived and had to wait for our gate as the taxiways were clogged. Again, in fairness we were told to avoid all queues and get on the bus immediately to T5. There, of course, despite being on an aircraft for 10 hours, we had to go through security yet again. We made our flight to CDG simply because it was delayed by 15 minutes or so.

Thus I may not be the best judge, but I'd avoid it when possible.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
oh, cool thanks for the info. I normally use the AA lounge in 3 for my departing flight back to the USA. I've never tried the CX lounge and will give it a try. A shower will be very welcome.
The way to properly do T3 is --

1. One or two G&Ts at the gin bar in the QF lounge
2. Sit-down dining in the CX F lounge (although the noodle bar here is terrible - way worse than other CX noodle bars - at least based on the 5-6x I've done it. I'm apparently not a very good Bayesian...)
3. More sit-down dining in the AA flagship lounge (it's surprisingly good, especially for AA!)
4. Back to QF for more G&Ts
5. Avoid the rubbish BA T3 lounge
6. Board plane
enviroian and talltoddtravels like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:03 am

The way to properly do T3 is --

1. One or two G&Ts at the gin bar in the QF lounge
2. Sit-down dining in the CX F lounge (although the noodle bar here is terrible - way worse than other CX noodle bars - at least based on the 5-6x I've done it. I'm apparently not a very good Bayesian...)
3. More sit-down dining in the AA flagship lounge (it's surprisingly good, especially for AA!)
4. Back to QF for more G&Ts
5. Avoid the rubbish BA T3 lounge
6. Board plane
In defense of the BA F Lounge, it probably has the best alcohol selection of all the lounges, with Johnnie Walker Blue and other high end spirits available. The wines might be the best as well and the self service champagne bar has it's charm.

But in the end, having so many good lounge options in a relatively close proximity is definitely a huge bonus for T3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.